Engines

GoldenMotor.com

Bruce W.R.

Mar 8, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Is anyone using the Gravley L engine ? I've started on a board tracker and have mated the Gravley to a 1920's Indian trans, via v-belt. Have a girder fork and other odds and ends, I'm kind of stuck on what wheels to use, I want 26 or 28 in hers but finding any strong enough ?????? I would post photos but I don't know how.

Bruce W.R.

Mar 8, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
I've seen old board trackers with v-twin motors and they had what looked like 26 inch bicycle wheels , but those spokes look really thin. Did those things really do 100 mph ? Where do I look for the wheels you mentioned ?

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Welcome W.R. & that's a seriously cool Gravely and Indian transmission setup. I understand you are a machinist from your bio and saw the engine posted to your album. Lot of weight with that combo guessing upwards of 150 pounds maybe. Take a look at page 9 post 85 of my Simplex thread Just next to your engine thread. You'll see photos posted by Mr. B of a Simplex motor bike with a Gravely L engine conversion. The wheels are original Simplex 2.5" X 26" mounted with what appear to be Coker Simplex tires. The wheels have 1/2" axles and the tires are extremely heavy duty & touted as capable of withstanding 90 mph... but expensive.

Worksman is indeed a great wheel with a 3/8" axle & will mount the same Coker tire or the Vee brand 2.5" x 26" kevlar belted tire which is not speed rated but is load rated at 650 lbs. per tire and at a cost about a third of the Coker. The two brand of tires are on ebay. Sportsman flyer & other vendors have the Worksman wheels. Simplex wheels are sometimes listed on ebay, used of course.

If your building your own frame 20" motorcycle wheels & tires are viable. Custom hub, brake, spoke & rim combos can be laced up as well. Have fun & I'm looking forward to seeing your build post photos you'll learn how. I did and I'm an Old guy! Rick C.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Actual Boardtrack bikes had wheels larger than 26 inches.

I run 21 inch Motorcycle wheels and DOT rated tires on anything over 50cc's now. As heavy as the Gravley is, I would say DOT motorcycle tires are a must.

Avon Speedmaster 3.00-21

Tires measure 27.6 OD with 30 psi inflation

Bruce W.R.

Mar 8, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
I was thinking of 21 inch disc brake wheels used on contemporary Harlrys, but the 26's look so cool cause they're so much higher than the engine. I didn't weigh the engine combo yet, but I can carry it easily and I only weigh 140. I'm going to license this thing in Pa. when it's done, we got the special construction thing now. I'm glad someone found the photos, I thought I uploaded them but I had no clue where they went, I've only had this iPad thing since x-mas. I don't really know how fast this bike could be but the trans should help

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
The castings for the case covers are works of art on your Gravely. Do you know the provenance of this beauty? Specifically what did it originally power & when was it manufactured? What's the displacement/power & torque? I know a guy who has several Gravely "tractors" but none with castings like these. Rick C.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I love that engine of yours. Top notch work on mating that transmission with it.

Can you tell us more about what you have done to the Gravely engine to make it usable in your build? I remember reading a couple of years ago on this forum about a couple of people thinking out loud on using a Gravely, they mentioned the need to modify the oil flow due to the need of an oil pump or something like that.

The work needed to put a gravely in a home made bike is probably beyond me, but to me, the L head engine is the closest to looking like a vintage 1900's single cylinder motorcycle engine.

Looking forward to seeing your build come together,

Gilbert

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
WE NEED PICTURES!! Damn it. WE NEED PICTURES!!! That Gravley has haunted my dreams for YEARS! The PERFECT motor despite its problems for a vintage build.

Bruce W.R.

Mar 8, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
I did all the castings myself, I learned how from the Dave Gingery books. It's easy to learn and do, and cheap too. Everything I ever wanted to know , somebody's already written a book about it. I make my patterns from wood and body filler, the casting sand is just fine sand and fire clay the scrap aluminum is melted with a charcoal briquette fire. The engine is from a walk behind garden tractor, it's 29 cu.in. And about 5or6 hp. It has wet sump oiling with an external pump and lines. I ditched the mag in favor of a simple points timer that I copied from my 39 Harley "45" I'm mounting a 12v. Mercedes gen. on the front driven with a v-belt

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm so glad you got back to me on the castings and that they are your art! I thought I was losing what little mind I have left; as I'd not seen anything like them before on any Gravely tractor or industrial motor. Fine work for sure on your part & hp is in line with those motors I remember, big displacement with a lot of torque & a beautiful exhaust note! The motor already is epic... Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
If you want to see W.R.'s Gravely click on his public profile (this forum) to view the two albums he's posted, well worth the small effort. I've done castings as well & he's got skills! Rick C.

Bruce W.R.

Mar 8, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Thanx for the praise, I decided on the casting cause the inspection guy told me that all the moving parts have to have guards or covers for licensing. I could've used weldments and tin but I want to build something that looks factory for about 1915 or so. If no one believes it's factory, I'll say "maybe somebody home built it" and they won't believe that either. The one casting has US on it and some numbers, kind of hinting at an army bike from WW-1. B.W.R.

Bruce W.R.

Mar 8, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
B., if you google gravely engine motorcycle, you"ll get a tractor forum where there's a simplex with a gravely on t. I don't know what you mean by adding links to my album, I tried tapping on them and nothing happens. I don't know what I'm supposed to do

Bruce W.R.

Mar 8, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
I don't know what happens to all my posts,it may have something to do with my wifi fading in and out. Please bear with me. Once again: The gravely is a wet sump system, the gear pump and lines are external and easily modified. It sucks oil from the transmission and pressure feeds it to the crank , it splashes around inside the engine lubing the cams and tappers and collecting in the bottom of the crankcase. There are two ports on the drive side of the engine slightly below the crank centerline where the oil flows back to the trans. It's a nice setup cause even if the trans is low on oil, or the pump fails, the engine still retains about 2qts. of oil . I drilled and tapped into the bottom of the crankcase and put the suction line there, the feed line still feeds the crank in its original configuration except that I eliminated a tee that fed the clutch throw out bearing. The oil return ports are now blocked by my engine mounting plates which have o-rings recessed into them. I left the front port open as my oil fill and breather complete with a dipstick

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
21" MC wheels are actually, cheaper, stronger, and have much better braking options than bicycle wheels. The front is pretty easy. The rear might take some creativity to make it fit narrow dropouts.

Here's a pic of a 21" mc wheel and a 26" bicycle wheel I took when weighing wheel options:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Its not you Bruce. A few of my posts have vanished as well. I PM'd Paul the site administrator and there have been server issues. Hopefully now resolved. I PM'd you about it but that may have been lost as well.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
All I meant was I added links to your photo albums in my post.

At some forums you have to have a minimum amount of posts before you you are allowed to add links or photos yourself... Perhaps that’s the case here?

Regardless, great job so far!

-Mr. B.

Bruce W.R.

Mar 8, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Wret, yes I'm thinking of the aftermarket Harley front disc brake wheels , some have a single flange for the disc, some are double, I need one of each. I want to use the old style band brakes and v-belt drive. Am going to the big swap meet in Oley, Pa. next month. Aftermarket stuff there is dirt cheap as the emphasis is on antique bikes.