Grubee HD axel

GoldenMotor.com

grdfbc58

Jan 26, 2010
Waco, TX
I got a Grubee HD Axel but it did not come with bolts. Can't find a bolt that fits good. Thinking about drilling the holes out, but the spacer can't take much. Any suggestions.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Are you talking about the bolts for the sprocket? If so, a little extra space shouldn't hurt anything. No need to drill them unless you just can't afford to buy some bolts that fit and must use what you have.

RedeyeRaab

Aug 3, 2009
Santa Cruz
I got this same thing from SpookyTooth and they for some reason can not help me and they even told me to go to another store and buy a front drum brake without an offer of a return, my money back, or credit with them for selling me a defective product, thanks for you're wonderful customer service guys!!! With that as side does anyone know why the brake would not work AT ALL? I have plenty of tension on the cables, and when I pull the lever I see the one gold piece moving towards the other gold piece meaning it should be squeezing inside to brake, and i can even see the brake parts moving but no stop. I mean they'll don't even slow me down, I can hold the brake in and walk the bike its work so badly! Please I need help with this as it is my only form of transportation and the crew at SpookyTooth have no idea!

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Redeye,
Did you adjust the adjusters down? They are the two little screws sticking out of
the brake housing that look like grease fittings. The band should be adjusted in
until it just touches the rotor/drum. Then back off slightly.

Oh, BTW, adjust the band 1st. THEN attach/adjust the cable.

Last edited:

WayneC

Aug 2, 2009
Clearwater, FL
I got a Grubee HD Axel but it did not come with bolts. Can't find a bolt that fits good. Thinking about drilling the holes out, but the spacer can't take much. Any suggestions.
Do you have the F/W axle or the non-F/W? What seems to problem with the bolt fitment? Are the heads
too big? Length? Diameter? I'm not sure on the non-F/W axle, but the freewheel one has to have the
bolt heads ground off or it bottoms out and won't freewheel. On the Grubee website there is a set of
installation instructions, such as they are, that might help.
Grubee Inc.
Scroll down and click on the 4 stroke section. Then scroll down to the HD hub link.
WC

Midnitebiker

Jan 5, 2010
Coral Springs
I got the Grubee HD with the drum brake...there is a spring, 2 extra nutas and bolts and a what looks like a extra lever or bracket..NO IDEA HOW TO SET IT UP,,,do I need a third brake cable...I have put this entire bike together , and thiis simple thing has me stumped...any help, pics would be appreciated.
Thaks

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Without seeing it, I would assume that the parts you are talking about are for the brake. The bracket is for placing the spring between it and the brake to push back on the brake when it is not in use. You do need another brake cable if you are keeping your current brakes. There should be a thin bracket that clamps around your frame and the other thick bracket bolts up with the two extras you have.

rotted

Dec 10, 2009
new mexico
does anybody know what the center diameter of the 44 tooth sprocket is?? and the width between locknuts? i dont want to bend my '53 hornets frame.

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
Redeye,
Did you adjust the adjusters down? They are the two little screws sticking out of
the brake housing that look like grease fittings. The band should be adjusted in
until it just touches the rotor/drum. Then back off slightly.

Oh, BTW, adjust the band 1st. THEN attach/adjust the cable.
thanks will try adjusting ....does anyone have anything good to say about this brake????? so far it is worthless !!!!!!!!!!!!!zpt