First build - the journey begins

GoldenMotor.com

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Well, I get some gas and mixed it up.

First the fuel line was leaking so I fixed it, then the fuel wasn't feeding from my glass filter, probably due to the angle, so I redid the line directly with no incline.

Then the feel wasn't feeding from the petcock, so I switched petcocks, same problem. I removed the filter on the petcock and now it feeds.

I tried starting the bike for an hour riding up and don't the hill, I stopped because I was too exhausted riding up and down the hill in the heat with the heavy bike.

It would kick on and try to sort but wouldn't stay on, I turned the throttle when it started building it wouldn't stay on.

I unplugged the kill switch wires, just in case tightened the spark plug, replaced the spark plug an checked the spark plug boot.

The choke was up, I primed the engine.

So disappointed. Going to bed, work tonight.

Lmk if you have any ideas of if anyone local can help.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I don't know squat about 2 strokes but my 4 stroke needed to be warmed up for a good 5 minutes before I could ride it or it would just die on me every time.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Still can't get it started.

Checked the carburetor, checked the float, tried to start it without the gas cap and air filter. Choke was on, tightened the head bolts and spark plug.

The carburetor is getting gas, no doubt about it.

I ride it drop the clutch, it tries to start, I turn the throttle but nothing.

So far this project is a giant waste of money and time.

I don't have a car, so this was going to be my ride to work. Now I'm screwed.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
New cdi, new magneto, ngkbh6 spark plug and still no start.

And to make things just awesome my rear wheel locked up. I don't even know how the **** I did that, I broke a Bike that is already broken.

I don't even know where to begin. I'm ready to rip the engine off, throw it in the trash and start over with a new one.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
It's easy to get frustrated when you're so close to riding and nothing's happening. Sometimes you just gotta put the wrench down for a few minutes, chill and come back fresh. On the bound wheel, you might have a link of your drive chain kinked up under the cover. That's #1, you're not going anywhere if you can't roll. For the rest, it's your classic needs: Fuel, Air, Compression, Fire. You'll need to systematically eliminate possibilities. You should feel compression by pedaling and dumping the clutch, sounds like you've got that. You said your carb had fuel, is it getting into the cylinder? What fuel mix do you have? Could have a plugged jet (no fuel), or you could be flooded out (too much). Fire, are you getting good spark? Check your plug gap? Just gotta break it down one by one, you'll find it.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
I took it apart, checked the piston. It moves with the drive wheel.

I also fixed my wheel. The skewer shifted.

How's much gap should my spark plug have? How far should the spark plug protrude into the head.

How high should the piston come? Mine barely comes flush.

Kind of hard to check for sparks by myself, but the cdi and magneto are new.

The old magneto didn't have the black wire soldered, it was using a mounting screws to made contact.

My new magneto doesn't have a white wire.

How do I check the voltage within a meter? I never used one before.

I switched head gaskets just in case.

Accidentally cracked my rear motor mount , so if need a new one before I do anything.

After I put it back together, if it still doesn't work, I'm calling it a dud and buying a rose eBay engine. She ships engines to California, just not whole kits.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I don't know squat about 2 strokes but....
..you continue to just guess even though you don't know squat about them.

Come on Mike, do this guy a favor and stop trying to hep with something you admit you know nothing about.

Rudz, if you don't have an ohm meter or multi-meter and know how to use it find someone local that does know to help you or at least teach you because you simply can't troubleshoot an electronics issue without a decent meter.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
I realized I paid for my kit almost two months ago, and it wasn't running. I emailed California Motorbikes and asked for a partial refund. Zane obliged and I bought a Rose engine.

I installed the new engine with the ngk bh6 and she fired right up.

I'll be breaking her in on my days off this week. Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
400 miles later she's all broken in. Only one crash, don't plan on doing that again.

Replaced Front 160mm disc rotor with 203mm, took two tries and an order from China, but, I finally got the right adapter and didn't payment moreover than $5 for it.

If the 255mm conversion wasn't so expensive I'd have those, but I don't have a hundred bucks.

Found a beach cruiser center mount style brake for the rear, installed it. I'm deciding if I want to keeps the dual pull lever or go with an extra lever one the left. I feel I have more control within two brake levers and a clutch.

Found a cheap RT carburetor to replace my NT that leaks profusely and acts erratic all the freaking time.

I used the stock NT jet, I have micro drill bits, I'm just waiting on a battery to use my digital calipers.

Noticed my Offroad, on road adventures have wreaked havok on my tires, only 400 miles and they look bad. Going to need at least another hundred miles out of them though. I'll probably pull the new tires off my old mtb. Since it's just sitting.

I've opened the exhaust and intake manifold, cut the tube out of the exhaust and matched the gaskets.

CarpsCustoms

Jan 27, 2014
Waterbury, Connecticut
Im just gonna come out of the blue and ask, (because i thought i saw it on your parts list in the beginning of this thread)

Are you going to run a Jaguar CDI??????? those things work wonders for your powerband dnut

Dope looking build btw, sorry im late lmao. but yeah

Last edited:

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
I'm running a rocket racing cdi, it works great and it was cheap.

Over 800 miles so fa, added a Rutoung carburetor, new rhinolite rims, deore hubs and dt Swiss alpine III spokes.

I cruise at 26-27mph on the stock unported jug with stock exhuast.

I'll install the voodoo exhaust when Santa buys me a skyhawk frame for Christmas, as well as a Fred head.