I think Florida will be the proving ground for gas motorized bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Re: I think Florida will be the proving ground for gas MBs

Just a quick question for those with a gas engine on their bikes..???
What's your top speed, specifically....
As an example, my top speed (when it's not limited by my controller) is 26.2mph on 48v, 21.2mph on 36v, and 20mph on 33v.

What about you guys?

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL

As an example, my top speed (when it's not limited by my controller) is 26.2mph on 48v, 21.2mph on 36v, and 20mph on 33v.

What about you guys?
Another slam at gas bikes. You can make yours go faster or slower. So can gas bikes. So it is a mute point at best.

Terry

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL

What about you guys?
mmm...

About 20 MPH.

Thanks again Jeff A. for your efforts in trying effect positive change for the FL MB community.

You put your heart on your sleeve, do things up front and publicly.

Unfortunately, SOME people at times hide behind an Alias Forum Screen Name talking crap and doing nothing but criticize others efforts.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida

What about you guys?
China girl about 25mph. I am 165lbs.

I got about 80mpg on a 50 cc.

I see Jeff is going electric ! :)

Once you go electric you won't go back to gas. :)

It's much nicer to have a ride that is not shaking apart every ride ! :)

Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

mmm...

About 20 MPH.

Thanks again Jeff A. for your efforts in trying effect positive change for the FL MB community.

Unfortunately, SOME people at times hide behind an Alias Forum Screen Name talking crap and doing nothing but criticize others efforts.
"about 20" is like saying, "she's sorts pregnant".. Either she is or isn't. And top speed is what exactly? Is that a better way of analogizing it? Or asking for specific information... You know what my point is going to be and saying "about 20" is a way to skirt around my point.

Like this I meant..

35cc top speed 25mph
49cc top speed 30mph
66/80cc top speed 35mph

Was curious if there was a top speed or just torque difference in cc to speed ratio.

Last edited:

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL

mmm...

About 20 MPH.

This sounds about right. And yes, thank you Jeff Arnett!

Terry

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

Another slam at gas bikes. You can make yours go faster or slower. So can gas bikes. So it is a mute point at best.

Terry
Hey Troll.... Err I mean, Terry...

Was NOT a slam against anything.. I was asking for specific information and giving an EXAMPLE of what I was asking for, but in electric bike terms...

Stop trying to make it a fight...
This is a DISCUSSION board, so start discussing instead of trolling... Ok?

End of line.

Last edited:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

There is no specific information Sangesf. There's too many variables, causing results to be all across the board - when dealing with both electric and gas.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

There is no specific information Sangesf. There's too many variables, causing results to be all across the board - when dealing with both electric and gas.
I understand that there are variables...
But for each person's setup, I was wondering what their top speed is...
The point being, as an example, an electric bike is not allowed to he capable of going faster than 20mph, NOT "about 20", because 21mph is illegal for an electric bike...

My main concern after all is said and done is that I don't want the "powers to be" to start deciding that both gas and electric would require licensing...

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan

I'm still hung up on this VIN thing.....they keep saying the reason the bikes can't be registered is because they don't have a VIN.
Can't the DMV or SOS produce one for you for a fee?
How do you guys deal with assembled vehicles?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like that's the real problem. Find a way to get a VIN, then register it.
Man, what a system....leave it to them to make us beg for registration & fees...

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

There is a few things to think about, and I'm going to lay them out all at once.

A bicycle is a bicycle, no matter if you put a gas or electric motor on it. Electric in Florida is regulated, but gas is not.

Motorized bicycles aren't mopeds - mopeds come with vins and mcos, and when registered are generally registered as motorcycles - unless that state has regulations not requiring registration, or requiring a type of registration for mopeds specifically.

Were you to get a vin for your motorized bicycle, you would have to bring it up to federal safety guidelines and get a state issued vin. It's not too much trouble aside from getting it up to snuff, but it is not necessary.

As has been said before - laws are not written to make something legal, they are written to make things illegal and to regulate. There doesn't need to be a law written to make something legal.

Stick to bicycle laws on gas and keep it under the posted speed limit. Ride as though you represent the community, and be willing to fight any tickets. It is not up to you to prove your innocence, it's up to the state to prove your guilt and that you are in violation of any laws. If those laws don't exist - it's just wishful thinking by the law enforcement.

And in the necessary addendum - you guys need to make some propostitions to protect motor assisted bicycling - by both getting gas regulations written and by trying to get some leniency on electric.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley

I think we'll see a tough road ahead. Electrics are perceived as 'helper motors' on bicycles and PC to boot. Gas bikes are all over the map, innocuous 35 cc 4 strokes, noisy smoky china 2 strokes, up to 200cc+ engines that I see mission creep setting in. Saying it fits on a bicycle means diddly really if it becomes transparent at a certain point that this is largely about a low ball entry into 2 wheeled motoring, box store bike, china engine, no license, reg, insurance etc etc and of course the dui/ suspended license crowd looking to get on the road again.

In parts of Europe there is 75 years of tradition with motorized bicycles, VeloSolex and Cyclemasters et al, small innocuous gas engines on bicycles, helper motors under 50cc, most under 35cc, under the radar and unmolested.

Last edited:

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida

There is a few things to think about, and I'm going to lay them out all at once.

A bicycle is a bicycle, no matter if you put a gas or electric motor on it. Electric in Florida is regulated, but gas is not.

Motorized bicycles aren't mopeds - mopeds come with vins and mcos, and when registered are generally registered as motorcycles - unless that state has regulations not requiring registration, or requiring a type of registration for mopeds specifically.

Were you to get a vin for your motorized bicycle, you would have to bring it up to federal safety guidelines and get a state issued vin. It's not too much trouble aside from getting it up to snuff, but it is not necessary.

As has been said before - laws are not written to make something legal, they are written to make things illegal and to regulate. There doesn't need to be a law written to make something legal.

Stick to bicycle laws on gas and keep it under the posted speed limit. Ride as though you represent the community, and be willing to fight any tickets. It is not up to you to prove your innocence, it's up to the state to prove your guilt and that you are in violation of any laws. If those laws don't exist - it's just wishful thinking by the law enforcement.

And in the necessary addendum - you guys need to make some propostitions to protect motor assisted bicycling - by both getting gas regulations written and by trying to get some leniency on electric.
I agree. Ride safe and careful. usflg

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan

DTGoat --

wouldn't you only need the federal approval for a US highway vehicle?

I'm not sure about FL, but in some states & towns to ride a MB under bicycle laws is ill-advised. Some places say no bikes on the road, some say no bikes on the sidewalk, some say bikes should only use bike lanes.....I've lived under all three laws. If you live in a town where bikes aren't allowed on roads, I'd bet you could get pulled over for a MB on the sidewalk. A good prosecutor with a bad agenda could come up with a charge barely even related to the bike.

And then there are the places with conflicting city/state laws.

This is completely uncharted territory for a lot of places. We're living in a legislation-happy time and place, & some MB riders are gonna become examples in the race to regulate & profit. The best you can do is study the laws at the local, county, state, & federal levels & look for your own safety zone in the gaps. Try not to bump up against any cops.

That's the truth.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

That's right anim8r, the DMV investigator would be the representative stating that to his knowledge and experience, that the vehicle passes FHMVSS (Federal Highway Motor Vehicle Safety Standards).

And you're right, that there is different laws regarding bicycles in every state. It is the responsibility of the rider to keep themselves informed - and even beyond that, if they don't like it, they can push to have things changed.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL

Here is an email I got from the Florida Highway Patrol headquarters. I received this back in April. I'm pretty sure I have posted it before.

I was asking them what the state police stand is on a motorized bicycle with a gas powered engine. Here is their reply:

Dear Terry,

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Here is some information for your review:

Mopeds, scooters and other two or three wheel motor vehicles that are 50 cc or less are not motorcycles by legal definition, so a motorcycle endorsement is not required.

In order to operate these vehicles on the road, you must be at least 16 years old and hold at least a regular operator or "Motorcycle Only" driver license.

Operators of mopeds and gas powered scooters are required to have a Class A, B, C, or E license; A motorcycle endorsement is not required.

Mopeds and gas powered scooters are not to be operated with a Learner’s license, regardless of age.

A motorized bicycle is a bicycle with an attached motor used to assist with pedaling. Generally considered as a vehicle. Motorized bicycles are usually powered by electric motors or small internal combustion engines. Some can be propelled by the motor alone if the rider chooses not to pedal; while in others the motor will only run if the rider pedals. Motorized bicycles are distinguished from motorcycles by being capable of being powered by pedals alone if required.

Exception to titling law FS 319.20 reads mopeds, motorized bicycles or any trailer having a net weight of less than 2,000 pounds, are not required to be titled. The 1999 legislature did not authorize the registration of motorized bicycles to be registered or provide proof of insurance. Therefore motorized bicycles are not required to be registered or title in Florida.

Thank you again for your inquiry,

Customer Service Center

Correspondence/Email Unit

Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

I am NOT posting this as something that can be used in court concerning a traffic violation.

Terry