Dump Find!!!

GoldenMotor.com

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Heads up on those clear "waterslide" transfers, while they do in fact work great, unless you've a light color surface - you'll not be able to see it at all & if the paint on the bike isn't white, it'll drastically change the appearance/colors in the transfer. http://motorbicycling.com/f26/gas-tank-decals-23613.html
This is a common problem when printing on any surface in nearly any media. It is called background inversion. One solution is to do the same thing that is done when screen printing a light color ink on a dark object to decrease background inversion.

When you do your design make it in a layered format (each color separated into its own layer) and begin by printing the problem colors by first printing a white base coat beneath them and then apply the color layer in 2 or more reprintings allowing each to dry well before reprinting the individual layers.

If you practice this technique you can achieve true color transfer for almost any color of background.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Most do have that problem I happen to have a graphics printer specific to the graphic design industry that prints a full tonal spectrum. I sometimes forget the fact that some machines do not support full color printing as I am spoiled.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
K, so now I'm filled w/envy o.o laff

I do quite a bit of PS where I work, even managed to get them to kick out for a printer that... wait for it... prints in COLOR OMG! Can you imagine it? *shakes head* Technology these days, I'm tellin' ya lol :p

Last edited:

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"
hey bear maybe this should be posted for all to see?.....i can only think that it would open up a can o' worms for all of the builders to use?....oh the endless possabilites.....custom logos.....theme bikes....etc.....nice !.....and you guys all thought i was crazy?................
im happy to see that i have indeed opened a 'can o worms.....amazin........

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
Thanks for all the reply's... I was wondering about the logos... and i was wondering where (if need be) i could find replacement parts??? The seat is really cool it is on 3 springs... It does look like a Flying Pidgeon but mine has a rod brake system... I don't know what year this bike is... is there any way i could find that out???

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
Very cool find.... its a shame you cant save that funky paint job or graphics. I can see it with a sweet little China 50 and stock kit left hand drive and pipe.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Very cool find.... its a shame you cant save that funky paint job or graphics. I can see it with a sweet little China 50 and stock kit left hand drive and pipe.
I agree. You might be surprised at how well the finish comes back with WD-40 and very fine steel wool. Braidco brought back an old Colson last year in the Rustoration buildoff. Pretty amazing what he accomplished withe that and a little touch up blending.
SB

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I agree. You might be surprised at how well the finish comes back with WD-40 and very fine steel wool. Braidco brought back an old Colson last year in the Rustoration buildoff. Pretty amazing what he accomplished withe that and a little touch up blending.
SB
Some of the spray on chromes today are also great if you just need to touch up and you don't want to rechrome completely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
I was wondering if there was a chrome paint thanks... i was working on it today took the fenders off, the chain guard (which was really cool!) and much to my great joy and relief i found a master link on the chain so it came right off(^)also the pedal and sprocket... the tires don't hold air... post pics later... I am having alot of fun and i am looking forward to working on it and finishing it... I am thinking about using rustoleum for paint, oh i want to clean the chain and reuse it so whats the best way to clean the chain and re-lubricate it???

Last edited:

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I think if you will look there are several places to find original parts for that sled... It appears to be a knock off of some of the Raleigh bikes made in the 60s.

If it were me and I really wanted to restore it I would do some large high resolution pictures of all of the decals and send them off to a professional company to have them made rather than try to make them myself and have the chrome done by a real electroplating process as it really is better than spray on.

Lucky Stiff...

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
How expensive would that be???
Hey it wouldn't be cheap by any means. Maybe 3-400 in chrome work for the entire bike. Custom paint at 1-200. Decals at less than 50 and redoing all of the hardware at ????.... The thing is that you really found a classic bike that isnt seen often in the US and it well may be worth more as a restored original rider than a cobbled up motorized hack job.

Read through and google for more information on this bike because it is really a unique find before doing anything drastic to it.

Last edited:

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
I wasn't sure weather i would motorize it just yet... the decals would be reasonable price... but the chrome electroplating would be way out of my budget... im only 17 lol ;) and painting it my self shouldn't be to bad...

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I wasn't sure weather i would motorize it just yet... the decals would be reasonable price... but the chrome electroplating would be way out of my budget... im only 17 lol ;) and painting it my self shouldn't be to bad...
If you do nothing to it as it sets I would make you an offer of $300. If you paint it yourself and do some repairs yourself the price would go down drastically (1/2 of the offer price or less). Take that in account. If you do nothing else just sit on it till you are older and have some resources to refurb it properly at which time it will probably be worth way more.

Just my 2 cents, I am sure there will be others that disagree. LOL...

No matter what you do especially if you decide to do any mods make sure you get some very detailed pictures before you start that are as crisp and clear (especially for color) as possible of the entire bike and save all of the old parts.

Last edited:

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
LOL I think you are foolish if you do. What I found for some of these is that they sell for around 7-$800 in fair shape for the most collectible versions. Your bike has no front suspension like some have but it is still an oddity in the US and I am sure there will be someone who wants to snap it up for that price. Mine was an hypothetical evaluation and meant for reference only to show the depreciation if you want to paint it yourself or do other modifications that could affect the value of the bike as a whole.

If I were to buy it I would pay fair value but only in the best original condition.

Last edited: