9.5HP 7200W 22Lbs. of Vertebrae Dislocating Magnetic Goodness.

GoldenMotor.com

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
You'll find the devil is in the details when dealing with a lot of wattage and torque, which are real engineering obstacles that limit electrics almost as much as battery technology. With pedals you can get away with overgearing so you can stretch a single speed further, but you don't want to bog it or it'll burn up. There are so many details with a high powered setup, it's like riding on a portable welder! Good luck.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
You'll find the devil is in the details when dealing with a lot of wattage and torque, which are real engineering obstacles that limit electrics almost as much as battery technology. With pedals you can get away with overgearing so you can stretch a single speed further, but you don't want to bog it or it'll burn up. There are so many details with a high powered setup, it's like riding on a portable welder! Good luck.
Yeah burning electrics and electric motors of any kind is no good, I've come to learn. LOL

The brute force torque of an electric motor, needs no gears if the HP/Lb ratio is overwhelming. The Stealth Bomber and Fighter have no gears and one manages to do 50MPH with just one Crystalyte electric hub? LOL

Tesla has no gears either. Although gears would keep the motor from getting too hot, gears could also be the weak point of the whole setup just as easily.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I will go no higher than 72V or 100A. I can deal with that low voltage already. I'll let you deal with the triple digit voltages. LOL

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
If you want to do steep hills or standing starts you will need gears to do 55 without burning it up in the low range. If you think 72V 100A is low, pffft lol. 66v 100A is enough to turn plastic into a melting semiconductor, connectors can fail due to the proximity of + and - across the motor!

Be careful of fires, I recommend you carry an extinguisher.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
If you want to do steep hills or standing starts you will need gears to do 55 without burning it up in the low range. If you think 72V 100A is low, pffft lol. 66v 100A is enough to turn plastic into a melting semiconductor, connectors can fail due to the proximity of + and - across the motor!

Be careful of fires, I recommend you carry an extinguisher.
7200W (9.5HP) exceeds the Stealth Bomber Bike by 2700W. I haven't seen any Stealth Bombers bursting into flames going up hills or pulling away from any stop lights lately. LMAO

Remember, I'm putting the 7200W (9.5HP) motor on a 40 Lb. bicycle, not in a cement truck.

The motor and the Kelly Controller's "Continuous Duty" is 100A @ 72 Volts. All specs and limits are tunable up or down on a computer. There's really no VooDoo to it at all. LOL

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
The Motenergy PMAC motor's is rated at 300A for 30 seconds and the controllers max is 280A. I will limit it to no more than 100A because there's no real need for it to ever go any higher. The bike will not weigh more than 120 Lbs when done.

My 2250W bike is limping along at only 3HP (electric) and the controller maxs out at 42A. It also weighs 120 Lbs.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Ok now do it moneybags, we'll see you $2500 later. Post some progress.
LOL I wish I was made of money or I would never mentioned anything on this site until it was already built and I was already road testing it. I got the tubes for the custom bike frame, cause it will riding on 3.5" x 18" Shinko SR 244 rubber on 2.15" X 18 motorcycle rims. I gots to notch and weld them now.

My first bike cost $4000 in parts alone. I'm not making that mistake again. Not if I can help it. I simply can't afford to.

Electricity is my friend! LOL

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I feel you on the expenses, these fun toys cost money to build. I've got around a grand in my kit alone but I'm 100% happy with my investment. Granted its only 1k watts but it still gets me around quietly and keeps me out of trouble.
Your build should be fun to watch so keep us posted. Who knows...you might inspire me to make a faster eBike in the future. :)

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I feel you on the expenses, these fun toys cost money to build. I've got around a grand in my kit alone but I'm 100% happy with my investment. Granted its only 1k watts but it still gets me around quietly and keeps me out of trouble.
Your build should be fun to watch so keep us posted. Who knows...you might inspire me to make a faster eBike in the future. :)
I'm going heavy duty Motenergy electric motorcycle engine in a bicycle frame based on a combination of your frame in the back and a Felt Slater in the front half. That's my plan anyway. I gotta keep the costs inline though, as impossible as that seems to be with electric. LOL

I'm using Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt for batteries. AllCell.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
When it's all itemized a Brammo or a Zero starts sounding reasonable. Mine's a toy because of the lack of strong enough 3-5 speed hubs, I used a geared hub with 3000W, and that was really pushing its limits. To me its definitely not worth the $1500 pack of lithium cells to match the performance of the lead on the bike now that is limited in range. The argument that you're paying for the gasoline upfront only works out if your ride all the time, and the pack doesn't die prematurely because of an accident or quality failure. Basically for Li, you get 2-3x the power density of SLA but it costs 5-10x more. The current demands of a big motor mean you need a ton of cells in parallel to be able to meet the demands without frying the batteries. In my case, 66V, 100A Peak, meaning a theoretical 8-9 hp would require $1500 in cells alone, plus a controller, BMS, alarms, charger, tons of HD copper wire, plated fittings...

Good luck, and as always, post pics! Words are cheap, pictures are expensive, lol. If I were you I'd look on CL for a used electric scooter and just run it, they're a good value if you can get over the fat chick quotient.

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
When it's all itemized a Brammo or a Zero starts sounding reasonable. Mine's a toy because of the lack of strong enough 3-5 speed hubs, I used a geared hub with 3000W, and that was really pushing its limits. To me its definitely not worth the $1500 pack of lithium cells to match the performance of the lead on the bike now that is limited in range. The argument that you're paying for the gasoline upfront only works out if your ride all the time, and the pack doesn't die prematurely because of an accident or quality failure. Basically for Li, you get 2-3x the power density of SLA but it costs 5-10x more. The current demands of a big motor mean you need a ton of cells in parallel to be able to meet the demands without frying the batteries. In my case, 66V, 100A Peak, meaning a theoretical 8-9 hp would require $1500 in cells alone, plus a controller, BMS, alarms, charger, tons of HD copper wire, plated fittings...

Good luck, and as always, post pics! Words are cheap, pictures are expensive, lol. If I were you I'd look on CL for a used electric scooter and just run it, they're a good value if you can get over the fat chick quotient.

$14,000 for a Zero?

$11,000 for a Brammo?

I could build a pretty mind-blowing Urban Assault E-bike for less than 1/3 the cost of the Zero. Most of the cost eaten up by batteries. Tons and tons of batteries with that kind of budget.

My batteries are so expensive, they give you the BMS and charger for free. Scooters have to remain on the street, need insurance, registration, and license, for their entire life. E-bikes can literally go anywhere, park anywhere, silently, grease fee, and require nothing....ever. High power E-bikes are the holy grail of Urban Assault Transportation from point A to B.

Let the assaulting begin!! LOL zpt

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
The cheap-o Brammo Enertia Plus weighs 330 Lbs.

Battery Pack Capacity: 6.2 kWh (nominal)
Battery Pack Voltage: 88.8 V (nominal)
Top Speed: 60+ MPH, 95+ KPH

Now imagine those same specs at 120 Lbs. LOL

The Zero's specs are too high to even try to compare with, but the Brammo Enertia Plus specs are well within reason for a e-bike.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
$14,000 for a Zero?

$11,000 for a Brammo?

I could build a pretty mind-blowing Urban Assault E-bike for less than 1/3 the cost of the Zero.
That makes two of us! Those are pretty high price tags. I heard somewhere that the zero specs were incorrect and that the range was a lot less than it claimed.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
That makes two of us! Those are pretty high price tags. I heard somewhere that the zero specs were incorrect and that the range was a lot less than it claimed.
They are ridiculously high, it seems, to me anyway. 54HP? 40kW? That's almost laughable. kW and watts in general are Voodoo terms to most people anyway unless you're talking about a light bulb. Tell them whatever you want cause they won't know any different anyway. LOL

It does have a 420A controller and 8.5kW Capacity, so that would put the voltage around 96V give or take a few volts. Sounds about right I guess, but that would have to tear into it's range though, I would think.

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
So if my bike weighed 1/3 the weight of the Zero and had 1/3 the HP of the Zero, which would be 18HP, then my bike should go the same speed as the Zero or 95MPH. Then 9HP should get me 48MPH......direct drive, using no gearing. I could live with that I guess. LOL

6HP 4500W gets the Stealth Bomber to 50MPH with no gears, so 9HP would get it to 75MPH? So I should expect somewhere between 48 and 75MPH if no one is lying about their top speeds then? I got it now.

Last edited: