9.5HP 7200W 22Lbs. of Vertebrae Dislocating Magnetic Goodness.

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Subscribing to this thread with interest. I am gathering knowledge. I am very close to replacing my truck (I now HATE Toyota with a morbid passion) and if I have enough $$$ left over I want to build a commuter E-bike. Something not too slow with at least a 30 mile range that can climb hills with no problems.

Thank you all for sharing info!
I am going for at least an 80 mile range @ 50+MPH maximum speed (not sustained for the entire 80 mile range: city driving on mostly level terrain) with Brake Regen assist. I'm just not quite sure how many watts/Ah that's gonna take just yet.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I love your optimism anyways, but I think you will find reality is a larger compromise than you want to make. The weight vs benefit of adding extra batteries is an issue as well, and your fuel load doesn't get any lighter as you go. In order to get brake regen assist (which is not worthwhile on an ebike, as coasting is more efficient) you'll need a brushless hub motor or your chain is gonna be thrashing on overrun if you use a mid-drive regen.

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I love your optimism anyways, but I think you will find reality is a larger compromise than you want to make. The weight vs benefit of adding extra batteries is an issue as well, and your fuel load doesn't get any lighter as you go. In order to get brake regen assist (which is not worthwhile on an ebike, as coasting is more efficient) you'll need a brushless hub motor or your chain is gonna be thrashing on overrun if you use a mid-drive regen.
Coasting h3ll...... I need absolute, non-fadeable, braking power. You can keep your coasting efficiency bike to yourself thanks. You forget I already have an electric bike with Brake Regen and over 4K miles on it. It also has and a gas engine as well. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I coast just fine with my Brake Regen. It only activates when I grab my brake handle. Who installed your Brake Regen?

I gots "Brake Regen" .........not to be confused with the much less popular "Coast Regen". LOL

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
There has been scientific breakdowns of the energy flows in bike regen systems and its not worth it. I use a freewheel because of that fact. The company that sold you the motor did well in their advertising to convince you about their features.

Listen, I'm trying to give you advice because it sounds like you think you're gonna re-invent the electric bike, and I'm trying to tell you the real life obstacles you will encounter. Instead of taking my advice, you think this is a contest or something, and return trollish comments. You have repeatedly asserted your e-peen is thiiiiis tbig, lol, maybe you should get to the math and science governing the construction of your bike.

Powerful, long range electrics aren't easy like gas bikes, all the engineering is done upfront, everything has to be right the first time or they will self destruct quickly in one way or another. Get it right, and it's all good for a long time. The cost of the components makes it so that you can't afford to have a failure, even if its just bad luck. If you don't know what you are doing, you're gonna throw thousands of dollars into a hole. I was just trying to help, but obviously you have some issues to work through so I'll let you be.

Please let us know when you have actually made progress on this build, because it would be interesting if you manage to re-invent the wheel with success, and know something the rest of the engineering community was blind to see.

Regards, peace out dude.

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
There has been scientific breakdowns of the energy flows in bike regen systems and its not worth it. I use a freewheel because of that fact. The company that sold you the motor did well in their advertising to convince you about their features.
I coast just fine with my Brake Regen. It only activates when I grab my brake handle. Who installed your Brake Regen?

I gots "Brake Regen" .........not to be confused with the much less popular "Coast Regen". LOL

My controller did not come with Brake Regen..... not even as an option. I had to rip open the controller and do some soldering. My ceramic or metallic brake pads now last 5 times longer that before cause I hardly ever use them to stop now and my coasting level did not change 1 iota because I do not have Coast Regen.

I should be on Mythbusters with this stuff. LOL

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
You, sir, need to educate yourself from reliable sources before you write. From my perspective you sound like a kid with a bunch of half baked ideas and no real plan for how it actually works, which is typical forum fodder. I'm gonna, I'm gonna, go do it!

http://www.expandingknowledge.com/J...n/Effectiveness/2008_08_13_Wondering/Main.htm
Go ahead, cycle out your expensive batteries prematurely.

You really need to make a schematic showing how this is gonna work, and allocate costs to all the components. For what you want its at least around $2500 in parts alone, have fun, don't let the smoke out of the wires! TROLOLOLOL

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
You, sir, need to educate yourself from reliable sources before you write. http://www.expandingknowledge.com/J...n/Effectiveness/2008_08_13_Wondering/Main.htm
I actually know firsthand because I own/built the bike in the pic above that originally did not have Brake Regen and later had Brake Regen installed by myself.

Why would I need to read a review on something, when I already own it and tested it and have driven it 4k miles? Where's the sense in that? LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
If youre going 50+MPH and need to stop at a light.....I'm not concerned about how my coasting efficiency is doing today. I just want to quickly stop instead of being T-Boned by a bus and sent off to the afterlife before I was ready. Brake Regen only activates when you grab the Brake Handle. I don't need to read about online cause I already I had it for over a year now and also did not have it originally for about 6 months. I already made my comparison firsthand on my 120 lbs bike @ 45mph going downhill. I don't need to read about somebody who did a 10 mile test and then wrote some review about his "Brake Regen" experience online. LOL

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Good point Mike. Today I was going down a pretty steep hill and was only hitting the low 30's and although I had my regen button engaged, the bike was still going at a decent speed but was slowing down like I was lightly braking. It definitely helps prolong my brake pads.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Yet you understand not how it works. Have fun Mike, you're on your own.
I was on my own when I built the bike you see above. It came out kinda decent for my first bike........... I think anyway. LMAO

It has Brake Regen and I coast and quickly come to a stop just fine with it. It only activates when I want to come to a stop because I correctly activated my Brake Regen to only work with the brake handle.

My "Wh/mile" most of the time are in the high single digits (Wh). My 12.9 Ah batteries range in city driving is about 100 miles because of Brake Regen and the gas motor of course.

You want to talk "efficiency"? Lay it on me. I'm all ears. LOL

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Yet you understand not how it works. Have fun Mike, you're on your own.
I "understand" that when I grab my brake handle that I can quickly stop my bike without ever touching my brake pads. Simultaneously I can see my Volts climb upward each and every time I do that. My Regen % also averages around 30%. If there's anything else I should or need to understand, other than that, just kinda seems trivial to me. I'm just not that interested in the details beyond that. I get bored too easily. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Do your homework.
I can honestly say that I most likely would not still be alive if I didn't have "Brake Regen" and I'm not one to delve into the melodramatics. It has to do with the hilly terrain I ride, at the speeds I ride, and because of the extreme weight of my bike. I doubt that even front and rear hydraulic bicycle brakes would make any difference.

How's that for homework? My life was on the line, a few times, for a good 6 months before I got Brake Regen.

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Brakes only slow you down lol. Don't need no stinking brakes!laffdnut
There is no worse feeling in the world than approaching a sudden red light in LA and wondering if you're actually gonna stop at the line or just causally drift into oncoming traffic and become a bug splat on a bus drivers windshield. You already have an X on your back when you ride, by default, in Los Angeles. LOL

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Do your homework for this upcoming build, you don't know what you're attempting, that's why your words are all big and bold right now. Take it from somebody who's been there, who tried to offer help, but your ego got in the way. Have fun, good luck.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Do your homework for this upcoming build, you don't know what you're attempting, that's why your words are all big and bold right now. Take it from somebody who's been there, who tried to offer help, but your ego got in the way. Have fun, good luck.
I can't afford not to do it. It costs me too much to get it wrong. I got's no ego. I'm ego free. I just need my watts. Lots of them. There is no substitute for watts. LOL

Just got back from a 22 mile trip. 11.8 Wh/mile

Last edited: