New Flying Horse 80 kit

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I struggled to get 68 psi. First try was 62 psi. I whipped the hamster to get 68. The motor wasn't hot, just a little warm to the touch. It'll be interesting now, to see how much the compression changes, if any, over time.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
It's running well all things considered. I really like the little extra bottom end power the 80s have over the 50s. When the 50 passes 30 mph it's like luck, but the 80 zooms past 30 like it means it.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I thought that since they only sold those engines the parts they sell would be for them
Good luck with that. If it doesn't specificly say it's a Flying Horse part. it's probably not.

Other parts are pretty generic and we'll never know.

I've bought gaskets from pretty much everyone, but I'ver never seen any, like the base gaskets on this motor.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've got about 14 miles on it now. This motor is running great. The Speed carb works better on this motor than on the 48cc.

It's starts fast with no choke. It idles good right away. It does take it a little while to warm up enough to take a lot of throttle. After it warms up the throttle response is good, and no trace of 4 stroking. It runs nice and smooth up to 27 mph so far with a 40T. That's only about 2/3 throttle, and it feels like it would go a lot faster. Feels like just barely pushing it at 27. The 48cc, by then was hard into full throttle. This motor is smooth, but the 48 was probably smoother. I always that it was real smooth, but noisy. This new Flying Horse is the best engine yet. It's quiet, and as smooth now as the motor I balanced for the Cadillac.

I'm starting to think the NT carb isn't as good as we think it is.

It's feeling real good to me power wise. Good but not great bottom end from 11 mph, then it pulls good with any throttle setting to as fast as I've gone yet. 27.2 mph.

I'm going to edit the first post and summerize the end result, so we won''t have to search pages for all the information..

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Man it's friggin 103 degrees today I hope it warmed up quickly and didn't need choking to start LOL! That's not a flying horse out there today it's a frying horse!!!

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Headline from 2011: The record-breaking North Texas Heatwave of 2011 isn't over yet. DFW temperatures climbed to 107 degrees Tuesday and broke the 1980 record of 69 days of triple-digit temperatures.

I lived thru both heat waves the one in 1980 I had no AC at home or at work. I remember it rained one day I thought great it's gonna cool down...ha it just steamed right back up off the pavement! If you know where Lemmon Ave splitts just to the west side of central the house I lived in was right there in the middle of that split big old pink house. It ain't there any more. Man that was one miserable summer never got below 90 at night you'd just lay there and sweat tryin to sleep!

Here is a run down of the Top 10 stretches of 100-plus heat.

1. 42 days -- June 23 - Aug. 3, 1980
2. 40 days -- July 2-Aug. 10, 2011*
3. 29 days -- July 6 - Aug. 3, 1998
4. 25 days -- Aug. 2-26, 1952
5. 24 days -- July 28 - Aug. 20, 1999
6. 20 days -- July 9-28, 1954
7. 19 days -- Aug. 8-26, 2006
8. 18 days -- July 31 - Aug. 17, 2010
8. 18 days -- July 2-19, 1978
10. 17 days -- Aug. 2-18, 1956

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've got 25 miles on it now. It's heat cycled about 15 times. I torqued everything 4 times. This last time nothing needed tightening.

The head bolts are 125 in lb. Nothing is leaking. I've had it up to 27.2 mph. It was running good not feeling stressed at all with a 40T.

I think I'm getting about 70 or 75 mpg. Maybe less. It idles good. It has to warn up before it runs smooth. It starts great cold, in the 100 degree heat.

I'm already riding it like normal, just not as high rpm. It runs like it's broken in.

I'm going to check the compression again when I get to 50 miles.

The vibration levels are surprisingly low. Only slightly more than the 48cc at the same speeds.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
30 miles now. Cruising around tonight in the dark where I can't see the speedo, I can easily start going too fast for breakin, but this motor is the best china girl I've ever had. I'm pretty sure this motor is going to be a really good one. That will make 2 Flying horse motors in a row that are great motors, compared to 4 BGF motors that all sux.

I've never had a 80 running a 40T. All the 80s I know about had 36T sprockets. With this 40T the Atomic BB feels like a moped above 20 mph. The power band feels real wide.

ERV JR

Jul 15, 2012
whittier Ca
I got a chance to ride mine a bit more today, only about 20 min on it tonight. It really seems coldblooded compared to the old engine . But once it warms up it runs well.
I think I am going to order the $10 ebay pocket bike pipe and build a head pipe out of Emt

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I got a chance to ride mine a bit more today, only about 20 min on it tonight. It really seems coldblooded compared to the old engine . But once it warms up it runs well.
I think I am going to order the $10 ebay pocket bike pipe and build a head pipe out of Emt
I will check compression on mine soon and let you know where it is
I'm running a Speed carb, which doesn't seem to be as touchy as a NT. I'm running 68 jet right now. If you have stock, it's probably ablut 70 or 71.

Mine is starting easy, and idles well, but it has to warm up a while before it smooths out enough to take a lot of throttle. Once it warms up after about a mile, it runs great. 27 mph = 5800 rpm with a 40T. You have to let off the throttle about 1/3 to keep from going faster.

Yeah it would be real interesting to hear how much compression you have.

ERV JR

Jul 15, 2012
whittier Ca
I'm running a Speed carb, which doesn't seem to be as touchy as a NT. I'm running 68 jet right now. If you have stock, it's probably ablut 70 or 71.

Mine is starting easy, and idles well, but it has to warm up a while before it smooths out enough to take a lot of throttle. Once it warms up after about a mile, it runs great. 27 mph = 5800 rpm with a 40T. You have to let off the throttle about 1/3 to keep from going faster.

Yeah it would be real interesting to hear how much compression you have.
I belive that the kits come with a 44 tooth,I have what ever is stock in the kit.
I Use it to tow both my kids and th ebike trailer. Was cool did a long ride at the beach and rode to the park for the 4th of jully for a firework show with them.crt.

ERV JR

Jul 15, 2012
whittier Ca
I did notice the spot facing o n the head for the sparkplug was better on this head than on the first. The first was still pretty rough and could see casting marks and the plug leaked unless you tightened the heck out of it

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
im looking to pick up 2 new motors and cant decide mega motors or flying horse whats the difference between them.
Couple of things come to mind. Flying Horse have different pistons, and port timing. That also means the pistons and cylinder are unique to flying horse, so maybe not easy to get.

mega motors usually cost less than flying horse.

desolation

May 21, 2012
arizona
anything other than that ? are the mega motors the same quality as the flying horse motors. or are some of the parts used cheaper?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
anything other than that ? are the mega motors the same quality as the flying horse motors. or are some of the parts used cheaper?
This is just my personal opinion. I think the flying horse are a little better quality, but the skill of the assembly workers is about the same, and that's not very good. Every factory just seems to throw these engines together. It's hard to guess which part they'll screw up, so no matter what motor you get it's important to check it over pretty throughly.