Sprocket Adapter by Sportscarpat

GoldenMotor.com

[email protected]

Jan 7, 2011
california
just got mine installed on my worksman inb love it love it love it oderded from pirate cycles with new 40 tooth sproket it gives u more ajustment in and out or can flip sprocket between that and some home modifacations to the exhaust yesterday i am really happy cut out entire baffle and shortended pipe to appr 5 in used a metal blade on a chop saw i think i was supprized to find 25% of exhaust was covered by bad craftsman ship so a liitle air dremmal and 3 sanding pads later it was as smooth as a babys ass now she just as fast on take off but just keeeps screaming now and not much louder i think rewelding pipe all the way around instead of tacking cuts down on the noise plus can jump curbs without chance of disaster not to mention looks great

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi Pat,

I have an idea, not sure if its possible due to spoke clearance:

(im not an engineer, btw, just a tinkerer MBer)

For the purpose of added strength of the adapter, how about making the connection between the sprocket and the adapter "SEATED"?

I'm envisioning a seat, or ledge, or lip at the END of the adapter where the sprocket connects to "sit" or slot into a 1/8" or 3/16" lip, and sits the sprocket into place.

(And of course parts would have to be reconfigured)

I hope you can figure out what i'm trying to share with you.

:)

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi worksmanFL,
I do understand what you are saying. With my design the counter sunk bolts effectively accomplish the same function. As the bolts are tightened the taper of the bolt head drives into the countersunk hole. This assures possitive alignment to the adapter assembly and keeps the sprocket from rotating in the clearenced bolt holes in the sprocket.
Pat

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi Pat,

Sounds good to me.

"Done"!

How do I order /(preorder)?

BTW,
I have a 48T from the grubee kit as well as a a 44T that I ordered. Will it fit, or can you make another adapter so it can fit, without me drilling?

:)

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I see people want steel sprockets and would if possible use the sprockets supplied in the kits. I am getting steel sprockets quoted and will see the cost associated with this option shortly. I personally have never worn out an aluminum sprocket on a motor bike, but realize steel is more durable so it is under consideration. While giving consideration to widening the adapter body today I had the CAD file up on my computer screen. One of the other engineers I work with came by my desk as a consultant, then another. They both pointed out the three piece adapter assembly already offers far more clamping force by drawing the parts together towards the center of the hub as opposed to a two bolt design that squeezes two parts together. More like a machine collet than a clamp. Sounded good to me. I will keep moving forward with this project. Realistically, though, we are still a few weeks out until more are available.
Pat

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Latest sprocket design. I went ahead and enlarged the center opening of the sprocket to give even more clearence to the brake arm, and put the sprocket tooth relief cut on the outside because it looks cool. This should be the production layout.

DSC06086 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
There are currently TWO sprocket adapters on the market, and soon there will be three. There are more details to a sprocket adapter than most people realize, and mine is improved in every respect over the other TWO that are available. The others are a two bolt clamp design while mine is a three bolt design. Go throw a shaft in a lathe and see how many clamps it has. Typically you'll find three jaws, not two. How many jaws are on your hand drill or drill press? Three. Some things are just plain obvious. All the prototypes are out for testing already, but I greatly appreciate the offer for more testing. Production versions are coming soon. I have already mounted a few of my adapters and they have not required a SINGLE modification to install. They have not rotated under hard use. No spoke clearence issues, no bolt to brake arm clearence issues, no need to bend the brake arm or buy a prebent one, and the sprockets look way cool. I got tired of waiting for a part only to spend over an hour modifying it to work right and then fighting it between the spokes, so I built my own!

Last edited:

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
There are currently TWO sprocket adapters on the market, and soon there will be three. There are more details to a sprocket adapter than most people realize, and mine is improved in every respect over the other TWO that are available. The others are a two bolt clamp design while mine is a three bolt design. Go throw a shaft in a lathe and see how many clamps it has. Typically you'll find three jaws, not two. How many jaws are on your hand drill or drill press? Three. Some things are just plain obvious. All the prototypes are out for testing already, but I greatly appreciate the offer for more testing. Production versions are coming soon. I have already mounted a few of my adapters and they have not required a SINGLE modification to install. They have not rotated under hard use. No spoke clearence issues, no bolt to brake arm clearence issues, no need to bend the brake arm or buy a prebent one, and the sprockets look way cool. I got tired of waiting for a part only to spend over an hour modifying it to work right and then fighting it between the spokes, so I built my own!
Hi Sportscarpat,
Any word on availability of your new sprocket adapter/ sprockets?
Thank you.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Current plan is for CB-110 and 40t this first production run, then all the other hub and sprocket sizes after that.