Sprocket Adapter by Sportscarpat

GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The 'So-Cal' crew has been doing 'rigorous & brutal testing' of these sprockets & adapters... They bolted up & adjusted without any problems & have stood up to 100's of miles of very hard riding! (even some jumping!!) ;)
We feel that these are going to be real winners!! (^)

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
That's a nice build there Venice! I like the large BMX look. The sprocket and adapter SURE look good on that bike :D

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
The 'So-Cal' crew has been doing 'rigorous & brutal testing' of these sprockets & adapters... They bolted up & adjusted without any problems & have stood up to 100's of miles of very hard riding! (even some jumping!!) ;)
We feel that these are going to be real winners!! (^)

Thanks for the "rigorous and brutal" testing there Norm! That's why you got the first ones, I knew you wouldn't be gentle on them. It has been a challenge getting this project put together while keeping the price in check. Just a few more weeks, guy's.
Pat

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Thanks for the "rigorous and brutal" testing there Norm! That's why you got the first ones, I knew you wouldn't be gentle on them. It has been a challenge getting this project put together while keeping the price in check. Just a few more weeks, guy's.
Pat
Hi Pat,

Just following up.
Whats the good news?
:)

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Pat,

Just following up.
Whats the good news?
The good news is we are getting real close. I am not holding the machine shop to a schedule but all the details have been hammered out and the production versions will incorporate all the changes discussed here. Still a couple weeks though. I did find out that the shop cut a few more prototypes than I had asked for so if your really in a hurry you can email me.
Pat

leadslinger

Feb 20, 2011
Las Vegas
Wow, I have used other aluminum hub adapters and I like the looks of yours.
I want to get rid of the coaster brake and mount a disc for disc brakes, and I need it so my chain clears a 3 inch rim and 3 inch tire. What can you do?

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Hey Pat I was wondering if you could pm me in with an email address or # that i can get a hold of you to maybe get one of those extra proto's or at least get on the list for the first production runs. Thanks

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I have a few more of the prototype units. Since this thread is now in the swap and shop section I can list the price. $80 plus shipping for a much improved design that will require no modifications to install. The ones available are for the Shimano 110 hub with 40t sprocket. Custom sprockets are also available and made to order.
Pat

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
I have a few more of the prototype units. Since this thread is now in the swap and shop section I can list the price. $80 plus shipping for a much improved design that will require no modifications to install. The ones available are for the Shimano 110 hub with 40t sprocket. Custom sprockets are also available and made to order.
Pat
Hi Pat,

Did you figure out the hub diameter tolerance allowances yet?

Thanks.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
If I didn't do that I couldn't sell an adapter. These are 1 1/2" adapters for Shimano 110 coaster brake hubs and their copies.

Hey Pat,

Thanks for your reply.

To clarify, the other adapter has tolerances of 1.522 - 1.528", (which applies th the shamino 110 coaster brake hub.)

However, a copy hub "a" may be 1.539 - 1.548"
or "b" may be 1.533 - 1.543".

So I just want to make sure what range of tolerance is acceptable/compatible.

Thanks again.

PS I'd like to order your when your first production run comes through. :)

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Awesome I would really like one the 40 tooth is fine. I belive i have the 110 hub if not i plan on getting a new wheel soon anyway. I have a Huffy Cranbrook stock wheel say Falcon,sha cb 11e.n Have you made an adapter to place the stock spockets yet?

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hey Pat,

Thanks for your reply.

To clarify, the other adapter has tolerances of 1.522 - 1.528", (which applies th the shamino 110 coaster brake hub.)

However, a copy hub "a" may be 1.539 - 1.548"
or "b" may be 1.533 - 1.543".

So I just want to make sure what range of tolerance is acceptable/compatible.

Thanks again.

PS I'd like to order your when your first production run comes through. :)

I sized specifically for the Shimano 110 and not a bunch of similar hubs that might have a wider tolerance range or are just bigger. That is not to say mine will not fit. Actually, each part of the adapter represents only one third of the clamp diameter and not half so it should be even more forgiving to size variation. Still, I would need to see one of these slightly larger Shimano copies to make a test fit.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Have you made an adapter to place the stock spockets yet?
I messed around with the stock steel sprockets but just couldn't bring myself to run one on such a nice machined aluminum adapter. The stock steel sprockets just look like junk to me. I did look into a high quality plated steel version and may offer them in the future.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I installed one of my test sprockets on a old Shimano 'DT' coaster hub; (it looks just like the CB-110), but it has a slightly smaller outside diameter. I used a single 'beer can shim' to make it fit perfectly! ;)

Last edited:

PedOpt

Apr 2, 2011
St. Paul, MN
Is there a way you could "Key" the inside part so that there is no rotation, thus no pressure on the spokes at all? Thinking this might be an advantage.

Here is a new product I have been developing. It is a sprocket adapter with a few new features. The adapter assembly is of a three piece design. This makes it very easy to install through the spokes and because each of the three clamping parts are identical it is a balanced design.

DSC06064 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

DSC06066 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Here is the assembled part mounted to a Worksman coaster brake wheel. Notice there are no clearence issues with the bolt heads and the coaster brake arm. Brake arm is unmodified.

DSC06067 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Here is another picture of the installed part.

DSC06069 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Please offer any suggestions or comments you may have as this is a prototype unit and I have time to make changes or modify the design. One thing I will probably change is the width of the clamping area. Since the three parts are so small they easily install through even 12 gauge spokes so making the clamping surface wider will not be a problem. I will also have the teeth on the sprocket cut with a bevel. The sprocket manufacturer assured me this was not an issue, but production units will have this feature added.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Is there a way you could "Key" the inside part so that there is no rotation, thus no pressure on the spokes at all? Thinking this might be an advantage.
I have yet to have this current design rotate. It is solid with three clamping bolts. The production HD version will have an even wider clamping surface as well and taller standoffs.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Needs a grove around the center inside of the adapter to hold 3 piece adapter shim sets in place for different sized hubs,xct2