Problems with "80cc" Clutch

GoldenMotor.com

Halifaxcycles

Sep 3, 2010
Halifax Nova Scotia
I have a Zoom Bicycles Stealth Black 80cc kit. The Clutch isn't engaging properly after 400km of ridding on it, The Engine will start but oddly I don't have to pedal then drop the clutch to engage it, While the bike is stationary I can drop the clutch and it will start but the throttle has no impacted on it and it's a quiet spitting noise that the engine makes. I took the clutch cover off and removed the set screw and the star nut and checked the pads and everything looks in order to the best of my knowledge, the problem I think it's having is the small cog is slipping I can wheel the bike around with out holding in the clutch and and the larger cog obviously is turning because it's not locked by the small cog. So some advice on what to do asides from biffing it.

I am a bicycle mechanic and have access to all the tools of the non motorized trade, but My knowledge of motors and terminology isn't the greatest so apologies for that.

-Adam
:-||

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
Sounds like you need to adjust your throttle cable. I would start with taking the throttle tube off the handlebar and inspect the plastic for damage.

If no damage then reassemble and take the top off the carb, where the throttle cable goes into it. Turn the throttle and watch for the plunger to go up and down. You should make sure the plunger is assembled correctly with the cable, that the needle is fixed to the plunger and that your c-clip is held down inside the top of the plunger.

Here's all the info you should ever need regarding the stock carburetor:
http://motorbicycling.com/f4/motorized-bicycle-carburetor-pictures-how-install-195.html

Thanks to Norman for his tutorials!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
After DudeZXT's post, I gotta ask: Will the engine rev up?

I think you were saying that is does start and rev fine, only the power is not getting to the rear wheel and the engine makes a funny sound.
Please clarify this?

Halifaxcycles

Sep 3, 2010
Halifax Nova Scotia
The engine starts it won't rev, and there's no power getting to the back wheel, both cogs under the cluch cover can be turned by hand without holding the clutch lever in, is that normal?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It is possible to turn or wiggle the gears a little. If you can easily turn them around and around I don't see how they could transfer enough torque to start the engine.
The no revving problem is most likely carburetor related. Are you turning the choke off (lever down) before trying to rev up the engine?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it doesn't sound like it's starting at all.

i don't understand the "...While the bike is stationary I can drop the clutch and it will start..." part.

the bike needs to be rolling, or at least the wheel needs to be spinning. it's like push starting a car.

when you say "...it's a quiet spitting noise that the engine makes..." are you sure it's not just the compression of the motor without running?

with the bike off and without the clutch lever pulled in, does the bike roll smoothly? it shouldn't. the wheel should skid, as it's fighting the resistance of the compression. with the lever pulled, it should roll, then "catch" as you release the lever.

if that's the case, you need to re-adjust your clutch cable till it grabs with the lever released.

Halifaxcycles

Sep 3, 2010
Halifax Nova Scotia
I don't think its a cable tension issue, the cable was working fine, and nothings changed or been altered. The bicycle can roll with the clutch not pulled in. So the part that stops this from happening is the issue and from the sounds of the feedback here is also the part that ...starts it as well. I suspect it has something to do with the small cog, does it have some adjustment, or is there some part that can strip or break behind it. The bicycle should have the rear wheel fully locked and skidding with the clutch not engaged, but it rolls and both larger cog and smaller one turn while rolling/ridding.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Do you have a pull start because what you're describing is impossible unless you're starting the engine with a pull start. It sounds like you've had the key fall out of the small gear on the crank.

Either that or you've lost all compression and the motor will roll over with no resistance but then it wouldn't start.

Got pictures?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I had this exact same problem with My ZOOM 80 it was the small cog. The key was missing that held it to the shaft allowing it to spin without turning the motor, try taking the small cog off and make sure the key is in place..if it is not there fish behind the large cog(thats where mine was)and re-install it .

Cheersdnut

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
I had this exact same problem with My ZOOM 80 it was the small cog. The key was missing that held it to the shaft allowing it to spin without turning the motor, try taking the small cog off and make sure the key is in place..if it is not there fish behind the large cog(thats where mine was)and re-install it .

Cheersdnut
Sounds like an excellent response, dude - this is probably it...

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
"...The bicycle can roll with the clutch not pulled in..."

this is your problem, and it's what i thought. but with your descriptions and everyone else's advice, it's getting more and more confusing.

to test the theory of gears not meshing or stripped or whatever, disconnect your clutch cable completely, then try to roll the bike. if it rolls, it could be messed up gears. if it locks up, it's just a simple cable adjustment.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Not to start anything, but when is the last time we got trolled? 5 posts by Mr. Halifaxcycles, and all in this thread.

Just sayin'.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sometime people will come from other sites just to mess with sites of similar type....could this be the case, or is it just a case of bizarre extreme mis-communication?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I mean, you CAN'T start an engine if you can't turn it over. If you can turn it over, then it would not be easily pushed with the clutch engaged.

So common sense would dictate that we are either being zoomed, or the OP is not really sure WHAT is happening. If the latter is the case, we can get him going, let's see if he comes back.

Halifaxcycles

Sep 3, 2010
Halifax Nova Scotia
Not a troll guys, I'm new to the motor game and didn't have any reason to sign up, because I can read the threads without being a member. Now I have a reason.

So the Motor isn't "running" the sound I was hearing is both cogs turning, if I'm not clear enough I can make a video of what is happening (something fake trolls can't do). Here's a picture, in the picture hopefully you can see the small cog (the one on the right) is backed out, I had tapped it back in and when I did so everything worked for a second, the motor turned over and I was about to be off on my way, but almost immediately it backed out into the position it's in now. There is a groove in the bolt looking thing in the middle of the cog as well as threads on the inside of the cog, how do I adjust it so that it stays in?

-Adam
(not a troll)

Attachments