Dump Find!!!

GoldenMotor.com

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
AS I said I think you made a stunning find in the dump kiddo... Despite some deterioration by rust it is easily one of the 1960s versions and a rarity in the US. Redone to pristine condition this bike is easily worth $1200 considering its equivalent Raliegh version is in the 15-1600 dollar range.

Once again ..... Lucky Stiff.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I would love to find out what year this is???? any ideas???
Locate the serial number and contact Yong Jiu (I posted a link previously) they should be able to give you the manufacture date by the number if you can get past the language barrier. That is the biggest difficulty I have had with the Chinese Mfrs....

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
i never seen 1 like it. i like the brake setup. ya gonna put a motor kit on it?
I am not quite sure yet, the bike might be worth some money... if it isn't then i will definitely put one on and sell it... cause the bike is a large, and its to big for me and im 5'8" so... it depends if i do it, it would be next spring or summer...

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"
I wasn't sure weather i would motorize it just yet... the decals would be reasonable price... but the chrome electroplating would be way out of my budget... im only 17 lol ;) and painting it my self shouldn't be to bad...
hey i have a suggestion on the chrome....get it all together, clean as you can. brillo, etc....and bring it to your local motorcycle shop....along with pics of the bicycle.....explain to the owner your finacial situation, how you found it, what your doing (your first restoration)....tell him it doesn't have to be triple plated, nor does it have to be "show quality"...just replated but nice..see what he'll charge you..if you can't afford it....then offer to work it off...maybe cleanin up the grounds, painting, cleanin up the shop on weekends, etc... etc.....the guy just may go for it!....and you'll get exposure to an industry....who knows it might end up becoming a part time job while your in school?.....you won't know till you try!.....got nothin to lose..and alot to gain.....and there might even be a guy who paints workin there?...oh and if you get it...make sure to buy one of his t-shirts and or hats and wear it whenever your workin.........good luck kid!

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Charlie that might be an idea, I have been known to help kids out on occasion with motor scooters and go carts etc. and ended up letting a couple sweep and do odd jobs to work it off.

But be prepared for rejection though, most companies in general are in business to make money off their customers and bartering isn't usually in their vocabulary.

It is worth a shot though.

mr.charlie

Jul 27, 2010
tavares florida "lake county"
Charlie that might be an idea, I have been known to help kids out on occasion with motor scooters and go carts etc. and ended up letting a couple sweep and do odd jobs to work it off.

But be prepared for rejection though, most companies in general are in business to make money off their customers and bartering isn't usually in their vocabulary.

It is worth a shot though.
yeah only with a private owned shop not a national dealer for sure....the kid just might score thou as all the shops farm out their chromin anyway...at least for the custom builds...most of the dealers install their factory supplied stuff.......i hope the kid gives it a shot an gets back to us....

Dec 9, 2010
New York
Hi All-

I run a blog called The Flying Pigeon Project. I found your post while researching my favorite topic: Asian Bicycles.

Let me say first off, good find. I am jealous. Secondly let me apologize if this is a double post, because my first time around didn't seem to "Take".

Now about your bike.

1. Yes it is a Yongjiu/Forever. Yonjiu means "Forever" in Mandarin. The best way to tell the age is by the head badge. If you have a picture of that I can tell you the age. Otherwise, by looking at the decals it is a bit of a guessing game, but I would not be suprised if it is not very old. Perhaps 1990s.

2. Yes, Forevers are rare in the US, but common in Asia and Africa. Much more common than the better known (to Americans) Raleigh. And let's face it, a Raleigh is plenty common compared to say, a Pierce, a true rarity. That's not a put down. You have a nice bike, but I would not say that it is "Sacred". Feel free to cut it up and modify it.

3. If you are interested in how these get motorized in China you can check out the posts on my blog.

Tour de Dandong - The Flying Pigeon Project

For more clever motorizations, just hit the link for motorized bicycles on the right hand side.

4. I'd be interested in how this project goes. I'll be watching!

-FPP

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Hi All-

I run a blog called The Flying Pigeon Project. I found your post while researching my favorite topic: Asian Bicycles.

Let me say first off, good find. I am jealous. Secondly let me apologize if this is a double post, because my first time around didn't seem to "Take".

Now about your bike.

1. Yes it is a Yongjiu/Forever. Yonjiu means "Forever" in Mandarin. The best way to tell the age is by the head badge. If you have a picture of that I can tell you the age. Otherwise, by looking at the decals it is a bit of a guessing game, but I would not be suprised if it is not very old. Perhaps 1990s.

2. Yes, Forevers are rare in the US, but common in Asia and Africa. Much more common than the better known (to Americans) Raleigh. And let's face it, a Raleigh is plenty common compared to say, a Pierce, a true rarity. That's not a put down. You have a nice bike, but I would not say that it is "Sacred". Feel free to cut it up and modify it.

3. If you are interested in how these get motorized in China you can check out the posts on my blog.

Tour de Dandong - The Flying Pigeon Project

For more clever motorizations, just hit the link for motorized bicycles on the right hand side.

4. I'd be interested in how this project goes. I'll be watching!

-FPP
HAHAHA I think yours was one of the links I posted earlier. As to age I think it will prove to me one of the 70s or maybe even 60s bikes simply for the fact of the deterioration and that it dosent have the springer front forks. Isnt that about the time they actually did away with them and only recently brought some back in the 90s?

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
Thanks guys... Flying Pigeon Project i saw your blog already when i was searching around... i am hoping that it will be older than the 90's, it is a fun oddity in America... maybe you will be able to help me along this restoring road, i have never restored a bike and can't wait to do so... just looked at the post about the race thats a lot of bikes! it was an awesome pic!

Last edited:

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Thanks guys... Flying Pigeon Project i saw your blog already when i was searching around... i am hoping that it will be older than the 90's, it is a fun oddity in America... maybe you will be able to help me along this restoring road, i have never restored a bike and can't wait to do so... just looked at the post about the race thats a lot of bikes! it was an awesome pic!
Get a pic up of the head badge to settle the age.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I would love to get that pic but sadly the head badge isn't there... it is an empty space that is missing the head badge...:(
If the paint around the head badge is faded and left an outline of the original shape that might be of some help. Many companies change the badge shape to a degree and a trained eye like pidgeon project might be able to identify it just from that if they changed drastically enough.

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
actually it is like a cutout and you put the badge in it... i will take a pic and post it hopefully tomorrow. cause tonight im off to a Christmas banquet with some one i love very much.. ME! lol