Morini Update! How's yours doin?

GoldenMotor.com

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I got my 9.4 today and started taking it apart. Not a big difference from the 5.8 except the clutch and the ignition. I was surprised that the 9.4 didn't have the carbon fiber 4 petal reed cage and the bigger carb. I took the 5.8 motor off the bike today and did swap out the reed cages but I will leave everything alone. I should have the 9.4 in by this weekend. Heck, I think I'll take the BoXer out for a bike ride tommorow without the motor.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I want to run her first before I start breaking open the clutch side but I'll post pics of the reed cages tomorrow.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
need some help guys, just got a morini s6s, was shocked at the way it was packaged, it was rapped in a walmart bag and stuffed into an old liquor bottle box, problem is, the conector for the 3 wires coming from the engine was shatered, those wires are BLUE, BROWN and YELOW with GREEN stripe. the conector from the cdi box is good and has 4 wires. BLUE, BLUE with WHITE stripe, RED with BLACK stripe, and BLACK with WHITE stripe. can some one look and see what colors match up, and which ones are for the kill switch. thanks.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Reeds

Well here's the difference between the stock and aftermarket reed cages. The stock one only has 3 metal petals on one side of the cage while the after market one has 4. (two on each side) This means more reed petal surface which allows more gas into the cylinder. Here's a couple of pictures to show you the differences.
5.8 and the 9.4 no difference except the coil wires and kick starter

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

the front side of the cages.

Back side of the reed cages:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
need some help guys, just got a morini s6s, was shocked at the way it was packaged, it was rapped in a walmart bag and stuffed into an old liquor bottle box, problem is, the conector for the 3 wires coming from the engine was shatered, those wires are BLUE, BROWN and YELOW with GREEN stripe. the conector from the cdi box is good and has 4 wires. BLUE, BLUE with WHITE stripe, RED with BLACK stripe, and BLACK with WHITE stripe. can some one look and see what colors match up, and which ones are for the kill switch. thanks.
Here's a picture of mine:
The two connector hook up to the ignition box and the white wire is for the kill switch.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Here's a picture of it connected. One connector is thinner than the other one so it only fits on one way.

I finished swapping out the motors tonight and started it up. Right away I noticed that the 9.4 had more compression than 5.8. I gave it a couple of quick blipss and noticed right away that its more snapper than my old motor. I'm getting excited about riding this weekend!
Hey John, Are we riding over the hill into Santa Cruz?

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
if your conector plugs are shatered like mine were you'll need to know the color code to match the wires to. after a late night of searching i found the info on a scooter forum.

from the motor the blue wire goes to the blue wire of the cdi. the brown wire goes to the red/black wire of the cdi. the yellow/green wire goes to the blue/white wire of the cdi and the black/white wire on the cdi is the kill switch wire.
there was some talk of the brown wire being a rev limiter and it was said to cut the brown wire for more rpm's, don't know how true the rev limit info is.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
if your conector plugs are shatered like mine were you'll need to know the color code to match the wires to. after a late night of searching i found the info on a scooter forum.

from the motor the blue wire goes to the blue wire of the cdi. the brown wire goes to the red/black wire of the cdi. the yellow/green wire goes to the blue/white wire of the cdi and the black/white wire on the cdi is the kill switch wire.
there was some talk of the brown wire being a rev limiter and it was said to cut the brown wire for more rpm's, don't know how true the rev limit info is.
I tried disconnecting the brown wire and the motor wouldn't spark or start. I connected it again and it started. The brown wire goes to the terminal closest to the plug wire on the cdi and the other wires connect to the bottom connector.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
WOW! SICK!!! - i must have been somewhat lucky but when new one of the 2 shoes broke in half--it was warrantied by Dean at Pipelyne--no problem since but i dont drive it too often as ive been trying to sell it.Too fast for me !

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Well the three shoe clutch is junk now have to buy new shoes for it. The shoe padding on one of the three sides the backing separated. I will post picts later when I am in a better mood. I will post what I have found in other forums as well. NOT impressed with the clutches at all at this point.
Man that sucks to hear :( So far I am not liking other experiences that I am hearing as well Goat with these clutches. Starting to wonder if these come from Italy or China?

w31john

Jan 4, 2008
san jose ca
WOW! SICK!!! - i must have been somewhat lucky but when new one of the 2 shoes broke in half--it was warrantied by Dean at Pipelyne--no problem since but i dont drive it too often as ive been trying to sell it.Too fast for me !
Just ride it half speed!!!! you don't need to be like these other nuts going wide open all the time.Every time i ride with Kenny and Dean i just let them gooooo.

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
Mine's been nothing but awesome so far.
Dont like the stock 10,800rpm clutch engagement point on the 9.4, but soon I'll be past the burnishing period and will be allowed to adjust it lower.
I think my 'choked neck' pipe is really restrictint the HP up top, but the added BP helps the low rpm tq. Such a smoothe motor
I seriously value the Italian passion for building wonderful engines.

KENDALLBUTLER

Aug 17, 2010
new orleans
im 50 dollars from a 5.8 mornini engine but i keep hearing about these clutches blowing up,is there any permante slution for this problem,and what other common problems these engines have

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Well.

Mines the s6e

My problem(s) have come from the spark plug wire, the rubber must not like the weather here and I keep it indoors when not ridden. It started to ground out to the frame and basically leak the spark where ever it could. So much so that one day it shocked the (double hockey sticks) out of me a few times from both brake handles.
Wake up call indeed.
that happened to me with an HT. it was nuts!