Question About Getting Pulled Over in B.C,CA

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Only descriptive words I can come up with at the moment after reading some of the latest posts by fasteddy and POPS are wow and crackpots...

Truly a shame how badly these Canadian legal threads get tainted with absolute nonsense :(

Wait..I'll be back in 1 second...as the other guy...just got to keep the argument with these guys going :rolleyes:

Incredible...
Have you seen Fasteddys sidecar build, and others? If hes a crackpot hes a very skilled one...... can you point me towards your build threads so i can be amazed by your obviously high level quality workmanship

laff

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
So if you're saying that putting a engine kit on a bicycle makes it a LSM does a bicycle become a shopping cart if I add a shopping basket?This isnt making sense
Yea and if you call up Scotty and add a warp drive you now have a 2 wheeled version of the Enterprise which if you asked around would likely be classed as a limited speed inter galactic space craft...certainly you'd be in a whole heap of trouble if you hit the engage button on the open road out there in BC with such a creation laff

Sorry Keith, just trying to have a laugh :D

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
Hostility & insults contribute nothing to the topic at hand and are in fact constitute a rule violation http://motorbicycling.com/f21/please-read-these-simple-rules-2.html

Should such continue staff will be forced to step in and take action. If you see a post that you believe constitutes a violation - please report it.
BarelyAWake

Your right and I apolgise.

I just didn,t appreciate being called a crack pot.

Sorry

I,m not going to reply to any more in this thred.

POPS

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
They would love to gut off all 2 stroke motors and blame it on pollution. Noise or exhaust pollution.
I have seen some 4 stroke weed eaters but then have only heard about 4 stroke chain saws. I would think that the 4 stroke motors wouldn't care for being tipped up and down like the 2 strokes since the oil would flood up into the combustion chamber and would put out more smoke than any 2 stroke.

I suppose as batteries get smaller/lighter and more powerful with better charging and storage capabilities we will see them taking over but that will be a long way off I think.

Steve.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
They would love to gut off all 2 stroke motors and blame it on pollution. Noise or exhaust pollution.
I have seen some 4 stroke weed eaters but then have only heard about 4 stroke chain saws. I would think that the 4 stroke motors wouldn't care for being tipped up and down like the 2 strokes since the oil would flood up into the combustion chamber and would put out more smoke than any 2 stroke.

I suppose as batteries get smaller/lighter and more powerful with better charging and storage capabilities we will see them taking over but that will be a long way off I think.

Steve.
Steve

Canadian tire all ready sells LiPO powered lawn mowers and I think weed eaters too.

Beast on Endless Sphere is running his E bike on the very batt. that goes
in that C.T. lawn mower.

POPS

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I think as soon as this medicine is done I see a trip to CTC to look into batteries.

It will come to the point I'm sure that so many small engines will give way to electric as I said. I hope that I make it long enough to see some of it. I still remember the first Makita power drill I saw in the 80's.
Fellow working in McDonalds in Vancouver had one he was using to do some work and that was the slowest I ever ate a McDonald meal just so I could sit there and watch it.
Seems funny now but it was a tool junkies dream tool then and not cheap.

Steve.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Steve

They charge a pretty penny for just the batt. alone.

I recall last summer when they put the lawn mowers on sale it was only $50 or $75 bucks more for the whole shebang.

I,ve never seen the batt. alone go on sale.

Thats where they get ya.

POPS

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
True Pops but I would just like to see the battery up close to see what they look like.
That's like the power tool that is $200 and when you need a battery for it it's $189. Feller can't get ahead no how.

Steve.

freewilly

May 12, 2009
Canada
I have a question here, and it has probably already been addressed, but what about having an electric bike with a trailer attached which has a generator that's not hardwired to the batteries? It wouldn't be part of the bike and I don't know of any relevant laws governing the transportation of a generator in a bike trailer. Maybe, it might be argued, it would be capable of providing power and thus considered a hybrid.. I dunno; might be in a grey enough area to get away with it.

Chriscraft112

Sep 10, 2011
White Rock,British Columbia
I don't see a law that says you can't besides all your doing is modifing your bicycle therefore its a "Modified Bicycle" nothing more,nothing less.If you still feel uncertain by the opionions you get just go by your local rcmp station and they will answer all your questions.Its also a good idea to see it in fine print so you don't get a rude cops opinion like I did.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Freewilly,
Look at the I.C.B.C. website. They have what is legal here in B.C. As Chriscraft said ask the R.C.M.P. or your local police their opinion and get the answer in writing. They are the ones who are going to impound your bike and give you the ticket. "Someone told me" doesn't work in court so be holding the proof with a signature. A lesson I learned the hard way.

Mr. Rockenstein said to go to a lawyer. It most likely won't be free but it may be if your lucky. It will be your best spent money if he does charge you. My bet is it will be far less than the fine here in B.C. and what the hassles with I.C.B.C. later will cost you. Peace of mind is worth it whatever it costs.

University of British Columbia may have a pro bono/free site that you can ask simple law questions. I'd check.

I have read that you can't do it but then again none of us are the person who will be pulling you over or paying any fines so I would cover my tail feathers really well.

Steve.

Last edited:

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
I have a question here, and it has probably already been addressed, but what about having an electric bike with a trailer attached which has a generator that's not hardwired to the batteries? It wouldn't be part of the bike and I don't know of any relevant laws governing the transportation of a generator in a bike trailer. Maybe, it might be argued, it would be capable of providing power and thus considered a hybrid.. I dunno; might be in a grey enough area to get away with it.
That is exactly the GRAY Zone I was and am going to play with!
No where is there rules pertaining to trailers so what is hidden in the trailer
is just something your towing home.

As long as it's not hard wired to the bike while you are traveling you should be good to go.
Pull over and charge up for a while, put the wires back in the trailer and away you go.

POPS

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Sorry didn't see NOT hard wired. It may be legal since it would be like pulling up to a plug and plugging in. If your hooked up and moving then it would be a problem from what I've read. I would still check with I.C.B.C. head office to see what they say.

If you have the generator in a trailer I'd unhook the trailer from the bike while the generator is running so no one can say it was all one unit. Been in some problems over the years for minor things like that.

Steve.