stop me before i kill again!!!

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i just need to vent, to explain, and to type while i'm waiting for my roomate to get out of the bathroom so i can use it.

number one: there's a search feature. use it. if your sprocket doesn't fit, you're four-stroking, your bike's a piece of crap and you're wondering who else bought that piece of crap and how they fixed it, it's all there. just type "my bike's a piece a crap and i want it to go fast" into the search box.

two. you don't need to post the same question multiple times. c'mon, mot of you grew up with the internet. when i hit "todays posts" and see the same guy with the sprocket problem (see number one) post 4 times about it, it just makes my scrolling finger tired.

three. new guys giving advice. sure, advice is good. but if your bike's not running well because it got wet or a rhinocerous crashed into it when you were riding it through the zoo, it might not be because your magneto went bad. spending money on parts that are working fine is the lazy-a$$ mechanics way out. learn to actually troubleshoot a problem. i see so many fuel related problems being diagnosed as cdi's and magnetos by people who don't even know what cdi stands for that it just makes me not want to help anyone anymore.
these motors ain't to tough to figure out. they've got less moving parts than an electrical toothbrush. use the basics, common sense. if your motor quit running because your plug wire broke off a week ago and you rigged it with a coat hanger, that's the first thing you check. you don't buy a new clutch.

ockham's razor. if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it ain't the GD magneto, it's a duck.

four. you never went 50mph and niether did your buddy.

5. walmart is not a bike shop. on the same subject, bike shops are not bike shops anymore, either. they're bike stores. you can't polish a turd. if you buy an $85 dollar bike, it's never gonna be more than that.

6. bicycles haven't changed much in 120 years. if you haven't figured out the basics of how they work, maybe you should take a little time and study them before you decide to bolt a motor on to one. the same goes with the 2 stroke motor. it's simple, it's necessary, and it helps you solve your own problems.

7. be creative. if a part doesn't fit, figure out why, and how to make it fit. don't whine because some custom part manufacturer hasn't sent you the goods yet, make your own. it doesn't take much. obviously, there's somethings you won't be able to do, but with a little effort, and less video game thinking, you'll get it. not everything's gonna be handed to you or shipped to you from ebay. you want a trouble free bike? send me a couple grand.

8. i can't think of 8 right now. i'll have to come back to it.

in closing, i just wanna say, i'm not trying to be a prick about anything i wrote above, it's just common sense. use your head. i mean, seriously, hit "new posts" and there's 3 questions from people that can't get their coaster brake arm off, 2 guys who's exhaust's hit their cranks, 17 people who wanna know which walmart bike is better, the huffy or the schwinn, there's so much bad advice from people who built one bike and aren't really chinee-motor scholars, and so many questions that could be, and have been, answered already, and could be found with a few keywords...

it's driving me freakin' batty.

i guess that's all i want to type for now. feel free to heckle me. it's ok, i have a sense of humor...

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
funny thing, by the time i finished typing this, my roomate had been asleep for 20 minutes or so.

but seriously, my biggest peeve is when someone asks a question that i've answered countless times, it take me 2 or 3 words in the search and 30 seconds to find what they're looking for. if i can do it, why can't they? and these people can hold a wrench? they can't even type! (this is in no way an insult to the people who grew up with wrenches instead of computers, because you wouldn't be asking stupid questions, you would be fixing it already...)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I gotta say that when I first started to read bairdco's post I cringed a bit, generally speaking our site policy is quite a bit more relaxed than that and in fact sometimes forums can swing to the other extreme, which is just as bad if not worse - chasing off the poor newb whom dare ask the simplest of questions or offer the well-meaning if inaccurate advice... part of the reason this forum was started was to provide a relaxed atmosphere where so long as people respect one another and stick to motorized bicycle topics & related - then we don't mind so much the same questions over and over etc...

On the other hand I find I'm empathizing with bairdco a bit more than I expected lol

There's much truth & wisdom in baird's statements, yet it's also true that so many are unfamiliar with basic forum etiquette when they join, are excited about their new toy, wish to share what they've learned, and some of our members of long standing get a lil tired of it all....

I figure it like this, forums are cyclic - particularly when they're centered around a seasonal (for most) hobby and right now we're at the peak of activity as it's the grand summertime. This ofc means a huge influx of new members... many of which are gonna skip reading the basics, even the rules. Hopefully they'll stick around long enough to get a feel for the place, stick with their project long enough to figure it out... and that our more experienced members (including myself) have the patience to bear with it as they learn and give 'em a hand along the way...

...and if that hand is unwanted *shrug* then they're jus' gonna learn the hard way lol

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
"stop me before i kill again!!!" I loved the title of your post I also love the search engine
Bairdco dont kill em, its not worth it. lol

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
yeah, i knew i was gonna be a little harsh, but if anyone's read any of my other posts, i'm always trying to help. but there's only so much a person can take. i read so many of the same problems, and i've addressed them before, and if i type it all out again it's just a frustrating waste of time.

i'd like to think that this little "hobby" of ours is about to break out in a big way, and i want to be one of the people that helps make it happen, but sometimes i feel that if it keeps on it's current path we'll go the way of the stupid pocket bike, and be looked down upon, shunned, or outright banned.

there's so much un-realized potential, and i'd like to bring that out, instead of just copying and pasting how to take off a friggen coaster brake arm...

either way, i'm still gonna make the coolest bikes i can.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
yeah, i knew i was gonna be a little harsh, but if anyone's read any of my other posts, i'm always trying to help. but there's only so much a person can take. i read so many of the same problems, and i've addressed them before, and if i type it all out again it's just a frustrating waste of time.

i'd like to think that this little "hobby" of ours is about to break out in a big way, and i want to be one of the people that helps make it happen, but sometimes i feel that if it keeps on it's current path we'll go the way of the stupid pocket bike, and be looked down upon, shunned, or outright banned.

there's so much un-realized potential, and i'd like to bring that out, instead of just copying and pasting how to take off a friggen coaster brake arm...

either way, i'm still gonna make the coolest bikes i can.
That reminds me ... whatsa coaster brake arm and how do you know when it needs to come off?

PS. ;)

Last edited:

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
we were all newbs once, so excited to to get started we asked dumb ?s without searching first. all forums that have fun subjects like this one go through it. some of the newbs stick around, learn and are soon well informed members that can help out the new newbs.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I agree with you, BarelyAwake. It is cyclic. In a few months we can listen to bairdco or another elite wizard of motorized bikes vent again. It's a new season. Look at it like you are teachers with a new class. You will have to repeat yourselves as long as you participate in helping. It's a new school year.

Yeah, a lot of people probably could use the search feature more, but they probably won't until they get more familiar with the forum. There's no big flashing banner that reads, "Use the search before speaking." as there is also no rule stating that the know it all's have to answer every question for everyone. That's the know it all coming out, bairdco. You are allowed to simply pass and not keep repeating yourself, but I'm sure that is hard to do.

Some of us get tired of hearing how dumb the rest of the world is, too.

I hope you made it to the bathroom before you popped a gasket!

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I guess we think we know all the new ideas and dreams,,,every thing is in search,,,nothing new to learn un-less the ones already here think it up,"wait if it ain't in search we dont need to know",,sounds like we got to old to learn anything more (when you quit learning ,its time to lay down and die) "NOT",,,yes the same questions do get frustrating sometimes ,and anyone with children /grand-children etc (and a heart) know the frustration, ..............................................................................................As that big chicken in the cartoon says to the little chicken hawk ""go away boy ,you bother me"

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
To Baird... I FEEL YOUR PAIN BRO!!!

I myself being one of the 'know it alls' here; (yes I admit it), I often feel the need to actually give the poor noobie a little advice after reading all the other posts giving advice like "check your chain alignment" or "your magnet in the coil might be installed backwards" when the noobie asks "why is my engine sputtering?"

Some of my biggest peeves here are when a noobie says he thinks his brand new (never been started) engine needs to be completely torn apart because he thinks theres already something wrong with it!?!? Or if a first time builder (with ZERO mechanical ability) installs every high dollar part he can find & then asks questions & complains for the next 8 months that he still cant get his bike to run right! Or all the claims of 50 & 60MPH 'HT engines' that will NEVER be proved!! Or all the current talk of "I have all the best equipment in the world & I'm building a nitro HT engine" :rolleyes: Yeah right... It's gonna blow up the first time he fully opens the throttle & we'll never hear from him again!

Yes, it's very frustrating here sometimes!

*edit*
Here's something I do respect... Foureasy's frankenstien engines; He posts pics & tells about what he has done, NOT what he plans to do! He showed everyone at the death race that his engines were crazy fast (& also blew up), but at least he proved it! ;)

Last edited:

Jun 7, 2010
on a bike
This should be called the someone pissed in my cornflakes this morning thread so we all know its just a ranting thing?! I hope you all feel better now? lol

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Also, don't ask "What's the best wheel for my bike?" Let the thread get to two pages of suggestions then announce you have a multi speed wheel and caliper brakes.:rolleyes:

Give all the information you can about your bike as far as is it a cruiser, mtb, road bike, 10 speed, coaster brakes, caliper brakes, disk brakes....

Don't just tell us it's a Schwinn XX model, that really doesn't mean much.

And as far as engines go, grubee, flying horse, stinger....it doesn't matter because they're all about the same.

I remember years ago at the car dealership the parts guys would get us all the time,
"I need a fuel pump for an 82 Caprice, 305 engine, automatic, no AC, power steering and breaks."
"Ok.......does it have white wall or black wall tires?"

laff

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
LoL, I see what your talking about Bairdco 4 sure but like they say it's a whole new class and ya can't get bent at the newbs for not knowing etiquette. If someone wants to try Nitro then let them. If they blow their motor then they blow it it's no sweat off anyone elses back right? I'm just saying some of the "sages" here are getting upset about what other people are doing with their own stuff? When I first came to the website I said that I run premium in my motor and it started a whole heated thread about how I was an idiot for running premium? OK so I may not have know the scientific explination of octane(I do now), but seriously If I wanna run premium then thats what I do. The "sages" here shouldn't allow themselves to get angry about it.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
When I first came to the website I said that I run premium in my motor and it started a whole heated thread about how I was an idiot for running premium? OK so I may not have know the scientific explination of octane(I do now), but seriously If I wanna run premium then thats what I do. The "sages" here shouldn't allow themselves to get angry about it.
I still run premium
I'm sorry, but that was funny.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
i was drunk and semi-rambling. i guess i'm just kinda frustrated at people who ask me about my bikes, and when i tell them how much it'd cost them, they scoff and say how there's a bike like mine on craigslist for $250.

obviously, i don't usually mind helping new guys out with the same old problems, and i could just ignore them and hope someone else helps, but sometimes i see some really bad advice, or the advice i give on a subject that i'm knowledgable about, or a problem i've already solved (or someone else has) just completely ignored, i think, "why bother?"

i saw my first china-powered 2 stroke bike less than a year ago, so i'm by no means an old-timer who's seen it all and done it all. but with every build i learn more and strive to make each bike better, not just cosmetically, but reliable, safe, and fast.

what bugs me, and kinda scares me, is that so many people want to do things as cheap as possible, with the lowest quality parts and their limited knowledge, then they wanna go 50mph on a bike i'd be scared to ride to 7-11.

"cheap" is a relative term. if you buy a dept. store bike, it's gonna break, and you're gonna spend more money on upgrades, and more time fixin' instead of riding, then if you woulda started out with a stronger bike in the first place. and the info is all over this forum. anyone who looks into would learn everything they need to know about wheels, brakes, frames, whatever.

i mean, if i was buying a car, i'd look into what i'm buying. if Huffy made a car and i knew i'd spend 5 times more than what i paid for it to make it roadworthy, i wouldn't buy it.

i see more and more bikes around here, and they're all covered with oil, held together with zipties, belching smoke, and with no visual appeal. and every one of those guys ask me why they can't keep up with me.

i guess i just have a different outlook (than most) on what we all want out of our glorified mopeds.