vintage engine build

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Tom, between "intro to Lean" and "Manufacturing Machining" class, I opened this thread and showed some folks your pics. People went about nutz, lol.

In the great words of Tina Fey; "I want to go to there."

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Tom, excellent work! Kudos. I have some questions though. I didn't see any oil seals on the shaft cases. Are there going to be oil seals? I would imagine leaking oil would be quite vintage :) . Do you think that modern roller bearings would be a good upgrade rather than bronze/brass bushings? Even in an oil bath the bushings will eventually wear and the leaking will go quicker.

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Dan I am glad they enjoyed it. Are you the instructor?

Cobra these old motor had a total loss oil system what it didn't burn it leaked out. The book shows you how to build a drive belt pulley that has a cavity in it to catch the oil that leaks out of the drive side case. It has a drain plug on the pulley to drain the pulley. Roller bearing and seals is a good idea but it takes closer machining tolerance, Thanks Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dan I am glad they enjoyed it. Are you the instructor?
LOL Tom, no. Lowly student and 48 yr old freshman.

I needed a $3 bushing for a 5/8 PTO to fit a 3/4 driven clutch. Instead of buying one and Micky Mousing it with a grinder, I bought an endmill for $800.

It shows up and is a 400 LBS behemoth and to big to work with in the garage.

So I build a workshop in the back yard. (really wanted one anyway)

Then, in trying to teach myself to operate it, thought, I should get some training. Apply and get a grant to attend a precision manufacturing certificate course.

So, about $16,000 has traded hands.

......and I have yet to make the *&%#@)7 part. LOL laff

That is cool about the seals. I wanted to ask as well.

ChopperDave

Jul 10, 2010
Washington State
LOL Tom, no. Lowly student and 48 yr old freshman.

I needed a $3 bushing for a 5/8 PTO to fit a 3/4 driven clutch. Instead of buying one and Micky Mousing it with a grinder, I bought an endmill for $800.

It shows up and is a 400 LBS behemoth and to big to work with in the garage.

So I build a workshop in the back yard. (really wanted one anyway)

Then, in trying to teach myself to operate it, thought, I should get some training. Apply and get a grant to attend a precision manufacturing certificate course.

So, about $16,000 has traded hands.

......and I have yet to make the *&%#@)7 part. LOL laff

That is cool about the seals. I wanted to ask as well.
Yep, it's a Sickness and I for one am glad there is no Cure...
Nice job on the Engine Tom

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
worm seals work great and their free. a coleman pump works great on the oil tank to pressure the motor and you can put a gauge on the tank. then drop the lost oil on the chain's or out the exhaust.

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
I have made a little progress on the wheels. a lot of time went into what you see here and they still need some more work done to them but I think I like the way they are looking . what do you think? Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow Tom, that is incredible. I know what kind of work and head scratching went in to most of that. Not a clue how you bent the rims so perfectly unless you have a $100K bender lying around. (been working on that one for a good long while, myself)

Really raises the bar on the functional art thing!

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I have made a little progress on the wheels. a lot of time went into what you see here and they still need some more work done to them but I think I like the way they are looking . what do you think? Tom

Holly Smokes Batman what size spokes are on there and what rim did you start with.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Tom, your wheels look better than originals.

You've obviously been at your lathe again!

I love the way you have the spokes going straight into the hub, very nice custom work!

Vintage wheels below and yes I have a contact for these:

Complete wheel:

However, these are for real or reproduction Board Track racer's, wouldn't be practical for a Vintage Tribute Style ( Motorized Bicycle ), Build.

C.H.

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Thanks guys .
This is how the rim was made.
First a piece of 2 by 1/2 channel was cut 16 inches longer than the radius.
The channel was put in the mill and the spoke holes were drilled at 7 degrees every other one drilled from the opposite direction . These holes were drilled with a center drill with a .250 pilot on the end .Which made a .250 hole with a 60 degree taper.

After the holes were drilled the channel was put in a home made ring roller and rolled to proper size.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
And again I say! (lol, in my head, in an English accent;)

Wholly Mother of good! Uber cool and I can make that!

Dude, dude, dude. (and I never say dude lightly) Dude, that is amazing.

Brain numbingly simple and akin to wow, why TF didn't I thunk of that? typ stuff.

Years back I knew a guy who was an actual finish carpenter. The guy was really amazing. One day, I forget what I asked him but his reply was; "I can watch a man pick up a hammer and know if I am the master or the student that day."

I'm-a gonna STH up and wait for pictures. (but if you express in words Tom, type slow. Takes me a while)

.flg.

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
ok I think I have it figured out . A chain from here to their and a belt from their to here and a few bent tubes a tank and just a few more part and I am done

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Thanks CCD
Truckd I really like the btr but need something a little more comfortable. It will be a cruiser springs front and rear with fenders .

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Any particular brand or make or will you go with your own design, looks really good at this point can't waite to see it done.