2 Stroke Compression Release

GoldenMotor.com

Quanah

Dec 13, 2008
Central, Illinois
I was wondering if anyone has tried machining their 2 stroke bike motor head for a compression release? Not that it would need one to make it easier to start..hahaha! But for using it to brake with. Back in the day, I went to alot of flat track motorcycle races, and they all used them. Sound cool.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
I was wondering if anyone has tried machining their 2 stroke bike motor head for a compression release? Not that it would need one to make it easier to start..hahaha! But for using it to brake with. Back in the day, I went to alot of flat track motorcycle races, and they all used them. Sound cool.
you use the engines compression to brake with..... they used the KILLSWITCH to make the motor even harder to turn over. you used the compression release so you could start the motor while they where pushing you around the track. Without it you could not have pushed the bike without the rear wheel locking up.
Does this clear things up now?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
compression release makes a high compression motor easier to start. Think old chainsaw/tractor. Release the valve, get'r kicking, set the valve to get normal compression

Quanah

Dec 13, 2008
Central, Illinois
I learned how they worked and what they were for 40 years ago, I was just wondering if anyone had used one. Guess I won't be the first. Thanks for the input.