You can get with this... or you can get with that

GoldenMotor.com

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
im trying to get the gearing on my drivetrain right.

I planned for an 11.33 gear reduction on a 24" wheel

this puts me at 63 mph at 10k rpm

I don't think that's right though....

also on these vortex clutches the clutch gear can either have a bushing or an needle bearing. the smallest size sprocket with a needle bearing is 14t, I might be inclined to run a needle bearing over a bushing, I think it would last longer

Attachments

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
If you plan to run a 14t clutch, and want 60+ mph:

14>40 on the primary, and 12>48 on the secondary.

I would avoid the 9t sprockets, especially on the secondary chain. With 15hp, you need more tooth contact.

What size secondary chain are you planning to run?

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
Im saving money now to buy the right clutch. I did some research and a lot of people are recommending the smc vortex clutch as a low maintenance out of the box clutch. but that's a whole nother paycheck.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
SMC clutches are the best stuff out there. Tom is a no-bull guy that would rather make the best at a smaller volume than a million cheap parts.

The KT100 revs high, and the clutch works hard. With drivers over 200lbs in Karts, his stuff holds up. Yeah, it is expensive - but nothing in Karting is cheap.

I have had good service from 420 chain in the secondary drive position, and all of the Silver State 4 strokes are running 40 chain.

What wheels / tires are you planning for?

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
I will run cst Cyclops tires on 24"s
kinda up in the air as to where to get a strong wheel from, what I need versus what's not terribly expensive. ive looked at bicycle designer and lynns and sportsman flyer. Im not really sure. I don't know

I don't want to run a rag joint because I think it will come apart. but I have 4 laced up rag joint wheels sitting here from my 3 china bikes. ive got a 48 44 36 34 and 32 t sprocket in the 9 hole china variety.

if I go manic mechanic or some other flavor sprocket adapter ill have to order new sprockets at what? 50+ bucks a pop?

I also want to run 12g spokes although I don't know how necessary that is with 24" rims instead of 26. I would think that the smaller rim would make the whole wheel more stable.

For me, this is the hardest part. Ive spent 6 months agonizing over tire and wheel choice on a bicycle I was riding 4 miles to work a few years ago. this was a pedal power and I kept getting flats and wanted a high performance all weather tire and a sturdy rim that wouldn't warp. I ended up buying a schwalbe marathon plus and it was probably the biggest waste of money. I didn't need anything that good. I should have just bought nashbar slicks 1.25s

What im trying to say is im very indecisive about this tire/rim/sprocket issue so i have been putting it off. Ive also been looking at what scotto and other high output engine users have chosen. Im open to suggestion.

If i don't get any suggestions then ill probably go :

http://custommotoredbicycles.com/29er_29_x_2125_wheels_rims_24_inch_wheels_rims_68_spoke_wheels_rims

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I was hoping to hear "Moped wheels". Bicycle tires on a 60 mph ride are sketchy at best

Moped tires are a step up, and much more puncture resistant too.

A rag joint? LOL. With 15 horsepower on tap and a good clutch you will rip the spokes out on the first WOT launch.

Moped hubs allow for bolted on sprockets. Check Treatland for wheels, their inventory shifts daily so you may need to keep checking to find what you want.

If you stay with bicycle tires, at least lace in a moped hub for the sprocket drive. As for 24" rims,I have no suggestions.

I have been using 21" motorcycle wheels for a while. Same OD as a 26" bicycle tire with an 80/90-21 tire mounted. H rated Dunlops are good to 130 mph.

I am going to go by Sears this weekend & grab one of those starters. I gotta try this.

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
where does the sprocket for the pedal side go on these treatland moped hubs
i don't see any pictures with the pedal and drive side sprockets, and i only see 16 and 17" rims with 11mm or 12 mm axles, which is cool with me. my thing is i want to make sure i can pedal if i buy one of these moped wheels

Anyone have any experience with moped wheels?

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Some mopeds had a second pedal chain. Hubs actually were threaded for a bicycle freewheel like this:

https://www.treatland.tv/puch-moped-rear-spoked-hub-p/puch-rear-spoke-hub.htm

If you want to run the later style mag wheels which were not equipped for a freewheel, you can run a bicycle freewheel on the jackshaft, and drive that with the pedals. Gears are low,but it satisfies the rules that require working pedals.

Michelin Gazelle M62 tires are nice skins, and run about 30 bucks each. The ride from a 2.75 or 3.00 tire is much nicer too.

Really any KT100 powered bike is a small motorcycle. Good tires, better brakes are a must. If you don't need working pedals where you live, consider leaving them off.

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
Got my moped hub in today. Also a friend from church is giving my business card out to a guy who owns a go kart track, im hoping to get some wisdom about this engine and maybe help with future rebuilds. Its good to have friends in the racing world i guess.

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
found a schwinn legacy frame that i think i might end up using for this bike on craigslist will know tommorrow.
changed my mind on how i intend to run the drive on this bike, thinking of going to belt drive with direct drive to the jackshaft like a riding lawnmower.
Also got a 3 hole can muffler coming from cometkarts

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
found a schwinn legacy frame that i think i might end up using for this bike on craigslist will know tommorrow.
Really?
Are you really thinking about mounting that monster engine in a used $129 Wallmart bike frame?

You should be looking at big 'ole Felt bikes like an MP and not kids toys IMO.