Worksman Board Track Racer Tribute Drop Loop Frames Wanted

GoldenMotor.com

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
Any "idiot" can post a critical thread. What medium did you use and let's see a pic. If not, this first post is just inflamatory and should just be banned.
JMO,
Dave
Kansas City, USA

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

Glad yer not a mod lol, remember that was the guys first (and only) post & tone is awful hard to ascertain... could be he was simply suggesting an easier alternative *shrug*

DOMIT

Jul 21, 2010
Fort Worth, Texas
Domit,,,
calling someone an idiot is not a good first impression !!! (your 1st post)
people here are usually more tolerant than that
perhaps an apology should be in order ???

Bill,

That wasn't intended to refer to anyone as an idiot. ("Any idiot" would include me...) It was more like the Geico commercials: "So simple a caveman can do it." Sorry if it came across the wrong way.

Brad

DOMIT

Jul 21, 2010
Fort Worth, Texas
Please post pics of yer ossum tank work, we are always lookin' for alternatives here: http://motorbicycling.com/f26/different-style-tanks-7607-11.html ;)
I haven't done one... I HAVE however done a cowl for a WWI aircraft replica... by shaping a foam "plug" and forming fiberglass over it. Note that exterior finish requires more effort with this method- if someone wanted to do multiple copies it would be more effective in the long run to form a female mold from the male plug... but for a one-off this saves a lot of time and money for materials.

Tank for the same aircraft to come soon. (No, not a model... a SLIGHTLY reduced scale aircraft, in somewhat the same spirit as these board track racer replicas...)

Brad

wildwestrider

Apr 17, 2009
Austin, Tejas
Domit, All,

First off, although I felt Domit's comment had a bit of a negative tone to it.......I got that he was making a general reference that hand fabbing a tank with foam and fiberglass was something that anyone could do......in his "neck of the woods" (area),.....that phrase may be commonly used in that context.....chalk it up to regional differences in use of language.

Second, I'm a guy that owned a European car restoration business in Dallas for many years,..and I would have no clue on how to do this..........I can do anything (except for welding---I suck at welding big time) if I see someone do it..............so, like others, I would like to see a tutorial on this topic.

Seems to me that there is a member on this forum that built a beautiful gray colored bike with a Honda 50cc on it. I think he had some killer fake leaf springs on it as well. If I recall, his tank was a fiberglass cover he hand made molded to one of the typical top tube tanks that come in a kit.

Thinking there may have been some discussion somewhere on how he fabbed that tank cover.......it looked great (the whole bike was spectacular)

Brian in Austin

Last edited:

wildwestrider

Apr 17, 2009
Austin, Tejas
AZBill,

Yes Houghmade is the builder I was thinking of.

Lots of "outside the box" ideas that he used on that bike to create the final illusion............very nicely executed. I looked at the entire thread and did not see his notes on how he made the tank..............and pretty sure he did somewhere with some pics to illustrate.

Ive included a pic of the copper sheeting / soldered tank that the original owner fabbed on my 1922 Elgin factory bike with some brass plumbing bits to complete the look. He first made a wooden buck, then he shaped the copper around it and finally soldered it together. It was left outside to weather.....and I am here to tell you.....raw copper oxidizes fast.......my sprinkler got a few drops on the tank one day..........the water spots became part of the patina almost immediately.

click on the pic for a larger version.

Brian in Austin

Last edited: