Indian Hiawatha

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The plywood that the upholstery will go on is now ready and the plywood that the seat will be attached to on top and the springs will mount to just needs some sanding on the edges and it to is done.

The legs and everything below the seat are gone. The chair frame is made from rattan which is a vine. The shiny strips that are wrapped around the legs it the outer skin of the vine. Not really great for holding screws so the best way I've found is to trap the seat frame between two pieces of plywood with screws used to hold it in place and the pressure of the plywood holds it together and stiffens it.

There will be 4 bolts going through the bottom piece of plywood which is 3/4" and into the upholstered seat which is 1/2". The original seat will be between the plywood and not used. The bolts will go into blind nuts which look like miniature top hats with 3 barbs that stick up from the brim. As the bolt tightens down on the nut the prongs are pulled into the wood and prevent it from turning.

The foot rest is cut out and I'll get the metal glued on to the front side tomorrow with the construction adhesive.

I'll have photos tomorrow.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm so glad to see the Hiawatha Tadpole thread back on the first page and progress being made. I spent an hour this morning in review of the old posts, though I'd read the whole thread a couple of years ago, it was good to refresh my muddled recollections with some re read. I think my favorite photo Steve is you sitting, staring at the front end while plotting your next move. I've seen such looks from my opponents across the chess board...a classic memory captured at "bike camp" & shared with those of us who never were. Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I remember that photo Rick. I think I was doing the down tube for the steering at the time. Not any room for error so there was considerable creative staring going on. Our photographer gets a lot of good shots. They all seem to be of some old, fat guy and none of me.

The day went well. I got the metal bent and it was spot on square. Ya take the victories where you find them. The construction adhesive I bought a couple of days ago at Home Depot must have been old, old stock because even with two hands I couldn't squeeze the handle of the caulking gun.

I finally cut the tube open and scooped it out and spread it with a body putty spreader and there were dried lumps in it. We'll see tomorrow how well it stuck.

I bent the sheet metal in one piece for the strength of having one piece construction.
I'll do the same to the underside as well. Washed the oil off the metal with lacquer thinner really well changing paper towels each time I did it then sanded the surface with #80 emery cloth to give the metal a rough surface for the adhesive to grip to. Tomorrow we'll see how well it turned out.

Photo link below.

Steve.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab228/speedydick/Hiawatha chair build/DSC_0007_zpsmbd8iysi.jpg

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Gluing the metal to the footrest worked like a charm. I did the back of it yesterday and made the seat to footrest mount. Seat is mounted to the plywood the footrest mounts to.

Off to Home Depot to get all the necessary bolts, screws ect and will have photo of what was done tonight.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Dan.

I was still 3 clamps short of a full load. Then the darned thing fell off the work bench and landed on my back as I bent over. Attack of the steel porcupine.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Metal's glued on and trimmed up and the attachment for the foot rest to the seat is done. That will be glued and screwed to the foot rest and seat. Metal needs to be washed off to get rid of the oil that they use when the metal is being rolled out and protects the metal from rusting and sanded ready for primer.

It will be painted when I get to bike camp to match Silverbears bike.

Steve.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab228/speedydick/Hiawatha chair build/DSC_0010_zpsv4gpk1t4.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve you must feel better or just fighting through it 'cause progress is rapid and I know that's encouraging to Silver bear and well all of us who are watching and wishing well for you both. Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I put the chair and the foot rest together quickly this afternoon to see what it looked like. A lot of things became apparent very quickly. First the seat needs to be moved ahead a couple of inches. Also there needs to be mahogany panels running back from the foot rest under both sides of the seat. It looks like the foot rest is just hanging off the seat like an after thought.

The side pieces where they meet the toe board at the front of the foot rest need to be trimmed off and rounded so they flow into the rest of the side board.

Quick and easy fixes. Instead of just showing the chair when it's done, I'm trying to show anyone who wants to make one how I went about it. Something like this can be used to build an early style side car as well. In later years they became what we associate with as a side car. Originally they were simply a chair on a frame with a wheel under it.

Steve.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab228/speedydick/Hiawatha chair build/DSC_0006_zpsqitocauk.jpg

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thanks Fellas. The seat is coming together well. Looked at the mahogany I have put away and there isn't enough to do the side panels so it's metal covered wood like the foot rest. It will look great painted with the bike colour.

Parts run tomorrow to get everything to finish it off.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The panels to join the seat to the foot rest are cut out and assembled. The metal to cover them is cut out and ready to glue on to the panels tomorrow if it isn't raining. Hoping to get the first coat of stain on the mahogany tomorrow as well.

Steve.