Indian Hiawatha

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
SB & Mr.B, Thank you.

The wood is glued to the side panels and the brass screws are in the copper panels around the skirt of the seat. They look much better than the ones I used first. Tomorrow I'll have the wood varnished at least once and I hope to have the seat stained as well.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Thanks Curt,

Really enjoying this build. It's coming together very well. Now our weather is starting to improve Art is letting up a bit and I'm taking advantage of it.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I hate Art, but he sure seems to like me, even in Ca. We're its dry he was with me all the time.
You are really making progress, and it's really looking good....Curt

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
You've got it going in the right direction Steve & are really taking care of the details as usual. This is certainly not just a wicker chair on a board and I'm certain SB will be proud to feature it on his "tadpole"! Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Rick,

Thank's for the kind words. Went down to varnish the mahogany today and got to staring creatively thinking that the wood on the side panels and the strips covering the sides of the foot rest looked kind of vanilla plain.

Couple that with the smallest box of #6 round head brass screws that the old boy could find had a 100 count. With God as my witness I heard a voice say "Go for it." and I put screws in the mahogany to both help hold it in place and to add some bling to them.

I'll get photos up in a day or two and everyone can judge for themselves how it looks but I like it and I hope the owner will.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The chair is stained and all the wood under the seat and the foot rest has been painted. Sun was behind the trees so the photos are dark but the last photo shows the colour in the sunlight.

As always the Mohawk stain is a winner. We are lucky to have two suppliers here but if you are going to stain something like the wicker try and find it. It penetrated the light coat of finish the chair had on it. I'll get photos tomorrow of the foot rest and the seat on it. Just about ready to go together for the last time. Only the upholstery is left.

Steve.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/...r build/DSC_0022_zpsogzlumua.jpg?t=1494546967

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve that Mohawk stain seems a miracle to penetrate an existing coating and result in such rich coverage. Proof is in the wicker I'd say. Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick, this is a modern version of the old alcohol stains we used to use. I don't know what it would do on urethane varnish but on shellac or lacquer it's great. The mahogany has a medium mahogany stain.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Had to go out so didn't get everything I wanted done. I'll try and get photos tomorrow. Foot rest is done and I'll get the seat mounted tomorrow with luck and a start on the upholstery if possible.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Today started out raining and then quickly turned to sunny weather and close to 70F. I took advantage of it and took some photos and trimmed up the seat foam and marked the holes for the buttons.

I'll have to go to the local fabric shop and get some buttons to cover but every thing should be done in a couple of days. The last thing to do is work out where the spring mounts will go. I have to order gas for the mig so that won't happen until later in the week.

Then it's hard on to Indian the tri car.

Steve.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab228/speedydick/Hiawatha chair build/DSC_0013_zps83bo9c9y.jpg

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Just about Steve. Same every year, May through Aug./Sept. much of this work load has been sitting idle for months and suddenly has to be finished yesterday. One would think at least some would learn to plan and budget ahead for necessities. I haven't had a Summer vacation for more than a quarter century, but one day if I live that long...

I'm anxious to see both tri cars completed this Summer, by the lakes. Rick C.