Highwaystar's Whizzer

GoldenMotor.com

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
The plastic clutch cover I got was not a real good fit for the tensioner/belt guides that are on my bike. So with a little help from my trusty Dremmel, I was able to cut an area out so the tensioner could move freely. I will get a couple of pics up after I give it a test run to see how it does. I wasn't able to start it up after everything was mounted, it was just too late.

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
Here is what I did. The stock mounting holes just would not work. The cover was hitting the pulleys. So I drilled some new ones and then clearanced the cover so nothing hit anywhere.

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
O.K. so the last gremlin I have to face is a non working headlight. The bulb "looks" good. The taillight works, but I do not have a headlight.

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
Hey you pulled the seat back too! I think you know your stuff there Highwaystar!
Nice work.

Ray

PS, check the fuse.
Naw, I am just a hillbilly with a monkey wrench and a hammer!LOL

I checked the fuse. It was still intact.

Time to break out the test light and volt meter huh?

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
The throttle grip had a nasty tear in it, so I ordered a set of Nirve "wood look" grips. After a few minutes of cutting on the throttle grip this is what I ended up with. They are very comfortable and I love the "wood grain".

Here is another shot showing how my "cleaning up process" is coming along. I still have a lot of elbow work to go.

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
I changed out the handlebars,added some pin stripes and a chrome battery cover. I also changed the way the headlight was mounted. I wanted to bring it down and in closer to the bars. Next will be a new seat.

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
I am glad I got to spend some time working on and riding this thing yesterday! We are getting freezing rain now....

Here is another pic I took yesterday.

thimmaker

Jan 25, 2008
Bartlett, Illinois
Hi Highwaystar, Geo is specking of the vintage whizzer sportsman frame, comes with 20" wheels. not the sportsman frame that sportscarpat makes.
pic of vintage sportsman whizzer.

Ray
That Sportsman picture you posted has the same clutch thats on the Sportsman i'm restoring right now. Thought it was a bi-matic when i bought the bike but now realize its an automatic clutch. Is there a breakdown of that clutch anyplace that you know of? I have Robert Lee's book on Sportsman that has the part list on the clutch but no breakdown pictures like he has on the bi-matic. This one is pretty rusted but i was able to get the snap ring out so should be able to get it apart but i hate to do it without a picture of the guts.
Thanks, George

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
That Sportsman picture you posted has the same clutch thats on the Sportsman i'm restoring right now. Thought it was a bi-matic when i bought the bike but now realize its an automatic clutch. Is there a breakdown of that clutch anyplace that you know of? I have Robert Lee's book on Sportsman that has the part list on the clutch but no breakdown pictures like he has on the bi-matic. This one is pretty rusted but i was able to get the snap ring out so should be able to get it apart but i hate to do it without a picture of the guts.
Thanks, George
Here you go George, i've got the flu,sorry
Hope this is OK Highwaystar.

Ray

Attachments

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
I still haven't had a chance to get pics.I have had a chance to give the bike a closer look. The coaster side dropout is pretty much toast. So I am going to do a frame swap. I am looking at old Schwinn cantilever frames. I would also like to get a sheave (vintage) that would work better with a heavy duty new wheel. Any suggestions?