Sportsman Racer Latest Photos

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
A couple pictures of a Racer frame fresh out of the powder coat shop. A lot of cluter around the shop but you can clearly see the Morini mounts and bracketry specific to this model. Six more frames sit in the backround. Three of them are already configured as WZ models for Whizzer engines.

DSC06104 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Here is a rear 3/4 shot with more detail of the engine mounts and front seat mount. I definately have the details worked out and standardized. All the Racers have been exactly the same.

DSC06105 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Lookin Good Pat, the six in the background looks cool too...
Hi Dave,
Your frame is in that pile, by the way. It is complete except for the idler bracket. The WZ frames require a few more tabs and brackets making for a more involved build process. Cut a bunch more handle bars yesterday and made more drop brackets. At last count I came up one oil tank short. I have to get some more cut. I set your frame up to run the manual or auto clutch. I added the rear drum brake tab and your frame also has the manual clutch cable stop with a new style spring tab that doug713 suggested from his build.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
A couple pictures of a Racer frame fresh out of the powder coat shop. A lot of cluter around the shop but you can clearly see the Morini mounts and bracketry specific to this model. Six more frames sit in the backround. Three of them are already configured as WZ models for Whizzer engines.

DSC06104 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Here is a rear 3/4 shot with more detail of the engine mounts and front seat mount. I definately have the details worked out and standardized. All the Racers have been exactly the same.

DSC06105 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Just way too cool !!!

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
Pat, your work is just incredible, I wish we had guys like you here in Germany for our hobby....

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
You know, if I ever find somebody capable of building a (more-or-less) exact duplicate of the motor, I would then go to Pat and say: "Pat, could you replicate the frame of an old Indian 8-valve for me, maybe throw in that leaf spring fork too?" I think it's a lack of funds that serves to protect me from that kind of temptation.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Got My new screen saver!!! Oh man.. maybe I should of gone with one of those. Maybe the next one. Hey Pat, any idea where I can get some replacement springs for those forks?

Cheers

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Exactly!!!!!! what type are they??

Cheers
Well, those are Sportsman Racer tires! I had them specially formulated for the weight, power output, and race track surface. Alright, so I stretched the truth a little bit there. Those are Bontrager dual compound slicks and some creative use of black tape. My brother noticed the word "Racer" hiding within Bontrager. A little black tape and suddenly we had custom Racer slicks!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
awesome bikes pat, dunno about the tractor seat on a long ride, but it fits the look well:)

the tire trick is pretty cool, too. i already toldja about plasti-dip spray paint to hide the graphics, so here's another tip.

get a black paint marker, deco-color and omni are two brands, but there's plenty more (watch out for sharpie paint markers. most of them are for posters and not permenant.) then you can do some detail/cover-up work. they make them in every color you cabn think of, too, so you can really get creative...

check out what i did to these fat franks for my buddy randy:

Attachments

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
awesome bikes pat, dunno about the tractor seat on a long ride, but it fits the look well:)
:
Tractor seat, what tractor seat? Oh, THAT tractor seat. Don't tell my neighbor where I got it, it's his tractor. That same tractor has a really cool glass bowl fuel filter on it, too, and I was thinking.........

ChopperDave

Jul 10, 2010
Washington State
Hi Dave,
Your frame is in that pile, by the way. It is complete except for the idler bracket. The WZ frames require a few more tabs and brackets making for a more involved build process. Cut a bunch more handle bars yesterday and made more drop brackets. At last count I came up one oil tank short. I have to get some more cut. I set your frame up to run the manual or auto clutch. I added the rear drum brake tab and your frame also has the manual clutch cable stop with a new style spring tab that doug713 suggested from his build.
Oh yeah Pat I can hardly wait... BTW Are you interested in me doing those seatpans up like Mesinger's?

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
If you think Pat's boadie looks funny with a tractor seat, wait till you see that vintage tractor with a Brooks saddle on it. Now that's funny looking...

Of course, the seat pan is destined for a cover. I run the same seat on my Racer, mounted without springs, and it's actually quite comfortable even though it's thinnly padded. These seats are way better than a bicycle saddle.

Rich

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Beautiful set of bikes. I missed out on most of this thread, so you are going to produce a bunch of these? How cool! Please tell me though that the seat in the picture isn't done, it looks very painful without upholstery :D Interesting design for the handlebars, what made you choose to do it that way? adjustability? I like it 10/10!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Oh yeah Pat I can hardly wait... BTW Are you interested in me doing those seatpans up like Mesinger's?
Really? Sure. You'll have your pan soon enough so let's see how yours comes out. By the way I lookeda so many different style motorcycle solo pans and this one had the most shape to it. The brackets I use are pretty standardized for just about any solo seat you can find. There are many available already covered, but it gets expensive quick.