Can I add pedal power?

GoldenMotor.com

BongMattnkb

Apr 11, 2010
California
I have a Motorized scooter... Sorta like a vespa, but its a cheap chinese brand. I have encountered many problems with the California DMV getting this thing registered and thought i might go a different rout.

If the vehicle has pedals and can be powered by human propulsion it only needs to be registered as a motorized bicycle and is a one time fee of 20 bucks...

Anyone have any idea how i could install some pedals and a gear sprocket somewhere? I've included some pics of the bike.

PLZ someone help!

Attachments

Clotho

May 25, 2008
While anything is possible given enough skill, tools, materials, time and cash I would have to say that it would take much much more cash than the scooter is worth to do what you are asking.

You are much better off selling the scooter and starting from scratch.

john_the_great

Oct 24, 2009
California
I'd scrap the scooter frame and then make a motorized bicycle outta it like this one:
http://motorbicycling.com/f37/coming-soon-4-stroke-full-suspension-14196.html

Those motors are pretty cool, I was thinking the same thing about a Honda express "no-ped". Because they have foot pegs and not peddles they are almost impossible to register in California, the problem is that putting peddles on it would require a lot of fabricated parts I don't have the time to make.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Well can't you argue that you kick power the scooter? I mean look at all the kids on a razor, they have no pedals and it is human powered. But from the looks of your ride that would be a hard argument to win.

shadowsaidhe

Apr 15, 2010
maine
just a thought but: why not just drill a couple of holes through it, put a shaft through and attach peddles on the ends. It's not like anyone is gonna get on it to check that they work. Like I said, just a thought. - Have A Pleasant Day

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
well that scooter probably has a qmb139 motor....i got one pulled apart right now in the basement....if you can figure out a way to add peddles to that cvt drive then more power to you...how about trying to add fake peddles and calling it a moped....hey take apart the rear pulley....there is a washer in the middle of the boss pin...that washer stops the drive from opening up all the way....remove it and throw it away...it should do about 45mph after that

discontinuuity

May 24, 2010
Colorado, USA
I agree that it would probably be too much work, but you might be able to bolt a bike sprocket onto the right side of the back wheel, then run a chain through a couple holes in the floor to a set of pedals with a front freewheel. The pedals would take up a lot of room in the foot well though.