questions about the flying horse 5G HS142F kit

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
my math tells me that is a final ratio of 16.8:1. is that about right? if so, that should be plenty of climb and a good top speed. I will have no trouble with that setup at all. little more expensive than the preddy install, but more of a kit type deal, not going much faster than I am now, and that gear ratio quadruples my current torque.
Current torque of what engine?

The lil HS don't make much torque at all. They get their limited power from rpms.

This motor won't give you climb power and high cruising speed both, with one gear ratrio.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I plan to get the hs kit from bgf, because its way cheaper than buying from spooky tooth. I can tell its the same kit, and from bgf, its $340, shipping included. I will then buy the 3:1 tranny and a 56t sprocket from dax. with shipping that comes to around $74. thats $414 all in. preddy install was looking around 350, but a preddy install is a lot more complicated than a hs kit, at least for someone who has thus far only worked on china girl builds.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
Current torque of what engine?

The lil HS don't make much torque at all. They get their limited power from rpms.

This motor won't give you climb power and high cruising speed both, with one gear ratrio.
i have a china girl 68cc engine. current gear ratio is 4.40:1. are you saying a hs wont do any better than that at 16:1?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
i have a china girl 68cc engine. current gear ratio is 4.40:1. are you saying a hs wont do any better than that at 16:1?
The chinagirl has about a 4:1 ratio built in, so you actualy have about a 16:1 total ratio with your sprockets.. And yes, the HS has about the same power as a chinagirl, but much quieter and smoother.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
ok here is the numbers I am entering. first set of gears, 1 and 3. second set of gear, 10:confused: and 64. that gives me a final ratio of 19.2:1, at 8000 rpm, speed is 32.2 mph. what kind of climb would that give me?

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I think if I want any serious hill climbing capability, I am probably better off with a predator engine. that sucks. thought it would be great to get a whole kit for the same price as it would cost me to install the predator, even if i did have to spend extra money to upgrade the tranny. but if I cant squeeze any more torque out of it than what I am getting now, its not even worth the extra money over the predator. maybe I ought to install the predator and go to a bigger sprocket anyway.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
Now I have no idea what I should do. I would like a cruising speed of around 30-35, but still have really good hill climbing ability. I want to be able to climb hills with very little or no pedaling. if my current gear ratio is around 16:1, then installing a predator with the agk tranny would give me less climb than I have now.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Can't beat the Chinagirls for that parameter. Just gotta try to factor in the crap shoot of possibly gettin a bad one LOL

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I know a few things. One, china engines do not have the level of reliability I am looking for. Two, I currently have a 68cc china engine with a modded pocketbike pipe, I have a top speed of 30ish, and no climbing ability whatsoever. installing the proper size sprocket to give me hill climbing ability would reduce my top speed so much that I may as well pedal. I really dont want to keep investing in china engines anyway, because they are not reliable, and I worry about my engine dying all the time, and its only a year old. it seems no matter what transmission I use on any 4 stroke engine, I wont be able to find the right balance between speed and climb. is it really not possible to cruise around 30 with really good climb? and does my weight (280 lbs) have a large effect on speed or climb?

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
from what I hear, the qmatic is one of the best transmissions for a 4 stroke. I am willing to spend the money if it will give me what I really want in a motorbike. I am also willing to change my rear sprocket. what numbers can i input to my ratio calculator for the qmatic?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I know a few things. One, china engines do not have the level of reliability I am looking for. Two, I currently have a 68cc china engine with a modded pocketbike pipe, I have a top speed of 30ish, and no climbing ability whatsoever. installing the proper size sprocket to give me hill climbing ability would reduce my top speed so much that I may as well pedal. I really dont want to keep investing in china engines anyway, because they are not reliable, and I worry about my engine dying all the time, and its only a year old. it seems no matter what transmission I use on any 4 stroke engine, I wont be able to find the right balance between speed and climb. is it really not possible to cruise around 30 with really good climb? and does my weight (280 lbs) have a large effect on speed or climb?
The 99cc has enough power to give you what you are looking for, just keep the ratio around 10-11 to 1 and you will be very happy