questions about the flying horse 5G HS142F kit

GoldenMotor.com

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
One more question. should I get a tachometer for the preddy? I know that at my gear ratio, I hit 5000 rpms at around 33mph. so as long as I dont constantly push my bike over 33-35, I should be within the safe rpm range, right? not to mention that living in the city, I dont plan on going faster than 25-30mph anyway. so as long as I maintain a reasonable cruising speed of 25-35, I shouldnt need a tach to tell me Im at a safe rpm limit, right?

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
actually one other question, lol. is there a motor mount that I can use without too much finagling, or is the finagling required for the bgf motor mount worth it for the lower price? and if i do use the bgf motor mount, can you give me some tips on how to best mount the preddy on my cranny? or will I just have to figure that out when I get the motor and the mount?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
One more question. should I get a tachometer for the preddy? I know that at my gear ratio, I hit 5000 rpms at around 33mph. so as long as I dont constantly push my bike over 33-35, I should be within the safe rpm range, right? not to mention that living in the city, I dont plan on going faster than 25-30mph anyway. so as long as I maintain a reasonable cruising speed of 25-35, I shouldnt need a tach to tell me Im at a safe rpm limit, right?
Tach is really handy, only $24 keeps track of your hours too.
http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm...A&Product_Code=V722&Category_Code=MTRBK+PARTS

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
You can easily get by without a tach just by listening to the engine. If you know your gearing and have a speedometer, you can calculate your rpms from there.
They start to run out of wind at around 5500. I've gotten mine to 5760 rpm and held it for a munite or so. Tough little engines. I cruise mine for miles at a time at 4800 with no problems at all.
Surely though running them this hard a lot will shorten their useful life.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
actually one other question, lol. is there a motor mount that I can use without too much finagling, or is the finagling required for the bgf motor mount worth it for the lower price? and if i do use the bgf motor mount, can you give me some tips on how to best mount the preddy on my cranny? or will I just have to figure that out when I get the motor and the mount?
Basicly, you'll have to figure it out when everything's in front of you.

I use the BGF mounts, with two 1/4x 1.5 steel straps attached to the motor (parallel to the shaft) to get the width needed for adaption.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
yank, i am really starting to feel like your snide comments outweigh your helpfulness to me by a longshot. I dont require your opinions or advice any longer. from now on, i will just pm the members that i think can help me the best, instead of starting new threads. this will avoid unhelpful people from invading my conversations with sarcasm.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
Does the 99cc predator have mounting studs on the bottom? I couldnt tell from looking at the pictures on HF website, and I dont think it said either. I seem to remember the greyhounds did not include mounting studs, so I was wondering if the predator has them or not?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
The Preddy has 5/16-24 threaded holes for the engine mount, crankshaft end and PTO mount. Everything else is metric, go figure.

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
Engine will come with 4 bolts to mount, although I had to get longer bolts due to me welding a 1/4" piece of flat stock steel into my frame to mount the engine on