ryobi cs26 weedeater clutch - metal on metal???

GoldenMotor.com

rudyauction509

May 8, 2012
Spokane, WA
I just bought a used ryobi weedeater for $30, I'm planning on making some kind of scooter/bike/something project out of it, but I noticed the centrifugal clutch is metal on metal. The shoes are $6 and the bell is $10 so the parts are cheap but would something like that wear out fast? so far my normal centrifugal clutches have all outlasted their motors. I want to know if this will be a part that needs replacing like the cdis and magnetos on the chinese kits, or if metal on metal clutches will work well if maintained properly. The motor is almost brand new and only 25% of the clutch shoes have wear marks on them so I know there was no friction material. Something else interesting is that the crankshaft only has bearings on one side, I can open the crankcase without removing any bearings or the crank. I've never seen this before.

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
I think these clutches are designed for quick lockup, and wear out quickly with the
slipping required for motorized bicycle applications. Ditch the clutch and go direct drive with a scissor hand clutch.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
They use them in chain saws to and seem to last a long time. I would give it a try befor you spend any money on anything else. You can always change it later..........Curt

rudyauction509

May 8, 2012
Spokane, WA
I'm going to add pedals to my project to pedal up to the estimated 5 mph needed for the clutch to be fully engaged and just go for it, after all, even if the clutch goes in a month it's only $15 to replace. The project is going to be a kid's bike front end, a scooter frame in the middle with a bike seat welded in and a custom made rear frame to support 2 scooter wheels on a solid axle, top speed estimated at 17 mph. (geared low for hills and acceleration) it will have a 6 groove flat belt final drive which will be interesting to build and I'm hoping to modify a coaster brake to work on the axle, otherwise I'll use rim brakes on the front wheel. I am planning on doing most of the work this coming Monday, providing I have all of the parts. And the throttle will be the right brake lever. For a total cost of under $70 for everything this will be a very interesting build.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
One time I took a badly set of worn clutches and hammered them out just enough to get a few more good miles on them. Funny idea but it works. They can pull if you gear it up high enough.

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
if u want to use that motor , and use it for belt drive, your going to need to mount the drive pulley on the drive shaft directly.
your engine will be hardmounted adjacent to your drive pulley.

the belt u use will be larger then needed,like an inch or so. using a tensioner pulley on a lever, you can connect it to a brake lever and have a manuel clutch for it.

this isnt one but its basically the same setup

the main belt will slip untill you ease the tensioner on and clutch the power to the wheels