Trailmate Trike, 79cc Predator project

GoldenMotor.com

Steomi

Mar 23, 2011
Waukesha, WI
79cc predator engine on Trailmate trike .trk Only welding done were the sprockets to their hubs. Will be doing 10 tooth clutch to a 48 tooth sprocket, shafted over to a 10 tooth sprocket to 24 sprocket on drive axle. Should give me a drive ratio of 11.52 to 1 with the 24 inch wheels and 3500 RPM (Governor still in) the speed should be right around 21 MPH. Might take the governor out though. Once everything is worked out and set the way I like it, I will be removing everything and clean, prime, paint, and add new hardware.

Album: http://motorbicycling.com/album.php?albumid=1305

Attachments

Last edited:

Steomi

Mar 23, 2011
Waukesha, WI
I could, but I wanted to have the low end to haul a Sun Dolphin Sportyak and fishing gear to the lakes around here and those that are not that close. I have my other bike for speed. I removed the stock gas tank and added a 1 1/2 gal, also have an old child trailer which will be converted to the boat trailer.

Right now I am waiting on my neighbor to get me the keyed shaft (He's doing it for free so I am in no rush) Then all I need right now are the pillow blocks and add the back end reflectors and lights. Then it will be going out for a few test rides with just myself and than a few test rides loaded up with everything.

Also if you are not familiar with the older trikes, they tend to tip when going any faster then 8 mph, they are awesome on straight away's but if you have to turn fast you will have a whole side of road rash.

surreybrad

Jun 8, 2013
surrey bc, canada
I just bought a fairly new Norco Parklane with the 6 speed axle and a 79cc Predator engine to put together. You mention using a pillow block shaft set-up but I was just going to put a sprocket on the axle shaft to drive the trike. Is this not a workable solution? Do I need to have the pillow block shaft set-up as well?

Steomi

Mar 23, 2011
Waukesha, WI
I have seen people do it with running the clutch right to a sprocket, they usually use a very large sprocket though. Yellowbeard has his set up like that with Ole Blue and he says it works fine. he uses a 10 tooth clutch and 54 tooth sprocket. I don't have room for that large of a sprocket with my trike without cutting something away. Also it's something I prefer vs just one large sprocket.

surreybrad

Jun 8, 2013
surrey bc, canada
I'll have to look closely but a 54 tooth sounds like it might be too big. I'll try but I have the pillow block set-up ready in case. Thank you for the response because I had no idea what size to use and was thinking about a 36 tooth which would have been way too small.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Trikes over 20mph aren't really fun...I slowed mine down because of it. You're fast enough now

Steomi

Mar 23, 2011
Waukesha, WI
That's what I was thinking racie. I know as a kid we used to put these things on 2 wheels taking corners. Also remember the many tip overs and bent rims. So I figure if we can do that normally, imagine an engine and taking a corner or even have to stop fast cause something cuts you off. There is a lot more weight to these. I am almost tempted to gear it down a little more, but I am waiting on my shaft and other parts from my neighbor who is getting them for free for me. Once I get it all together and see the speed, hill climbing along with the towing capability I can change sprockets and adjust to my liking. My neighbor thinks everything should be here by the end of the month. :)

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I just took a ride today on mine with my friend.....mines a two seater...american tri ped it'll climb hills with both on easily but I'm deeply geared and the governor is still on ....its just for putting around mainly so we won't increase the speed.....I have my Whizzers for that

Steomi

Mar 23, 2011
Waukesha, WI
I hear ya racie, I will have to stay in touch with you about what you done to yours and what worked and didn't work. I was thinking of a 2 seater for the wife and I since I got this trike for basically free she said to just build it and we will do the 2 seater later down the road. She doesn't like the speed to much, but she enjoyed the heck out of the cruising around part.