eBay vs magic or smart pie kits

GoldenMotor.com

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I'm still in the process of picking the best kit for me. I do check out eBay quite often and see tons of Chinese kits at a decent price but is it really a decent price if it breaks or parts are impossible to get. Has anyone experienced purchasing a Chinese kit from eBay or a Golden Motor kit. I'm leaning towards one more than the other but I'd like to hear some feed back before I make up my mind.
Thanks

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i dont mind buying gadgets and things like that on ebay, however if a bigger purchase i purchase from the company in case i have a warranty issue. pretty much after you leave feedback on ebay chances of that seller taking care of you are pretty slim. i would rather pay a little extra and know i will be taken care of.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i bought a magic pie and a smart pie and very happy with both also, dang mike i might have to make a duel pie to catch up to you lol

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Or Black Lightning Kits?

http://www.hi-powercycles.com/product.sc?productId=48

Read the part about the batteries.
Hot smoke act or not?

Choosing a Battery- NEW CHEMISTRY FOR 2013! New batteries from HPC are a special Lithium based tri-metal blend of Nickel, Manganese, and Cobalt, or Li-NMC for short. These batteries are 25% lighter than the outgoing LiFePo4 batteries and deliver consistantly higher voltages across the voltage range which translates into slightly more speed and range. For the ultimate in weight savings and high voltage output, our LiPo battery systems return with a 6% bump in average capacity over last years model. All batteries include a heavy duty Battery Management System (BMS) to monitor and balance cells and keep your batteries running in prime condition as safely as possible.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
Easy Rider

Depends on what your needs and power your looking for
but on Endless sphere, in the new items for sale is a thred
called Grayborg Cromotor Hubzilla Motors.

The most powerfull hub I know of.

POPS

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Thanks Pops,
I think with all the street accidents I've been hearing about, I'm going to stick with a Magic Pie or Smart Pie 48v 1000w hub. I already have a pretty fast gasser and I just want a cruiser to play around with. I know if I make it too fast, I'll end up pushing it to the limits on the streets.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i think you will be very happy with the magic pie. easy to install and a nice little unit. like you i just want to cruise around and 28mph is a good comfortable speed on a electric bicycle

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Yes Paul and the best part is I'll stay out of trouble and enjoy cruising! :)

Here's a picture of the bike I'll be setting up. (GT LTS) I use to have a Morini on it but then came the BoXer. I'll be changing the seat and that's about it. I rode the bike today and the suspension is still in good shape.

Attachments

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Good.

I hit 30 on the Dawes yesterday. Fastest speed yet, I think it is wearing in, less friction.

This is as fast as I ever want to go on a bike. Not because the bike is unstable, but because cars don't expect bikes to go this fast.

I had a guy start a left turn as I was going up the bike lane. He saw me, I made eye contact, and he still kept coming. Just as I was going for the brakes he stopped right in the middle of the road and I went by. People expect bikes to be going 15. Even when they see 'em.

And e-bikes do this silently.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery#Electrochemistry

Looks like Li-NMC provides juuuust shy of double the capacity for the same weight than LiFePo. However these batteries have been around since 2008, but I'm probably wrong, batteries arent my area of expertise.
If these batteries have been around for years, I wonder why they aren't replacing the lifepo4 batteries? Do you think it's because of price?

I know the Electric Goped has a turbo and economy switch. Does the kits have something like this kind of feature?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
not really sure on the batteries. i know that the lifepo4 can handle more charges then the li-nmc but the rest i have an idea of the difference but cannot explain.
economy mode is called pedaling lol. on a turbo switch i believe they ad an extra battery and when you hit the turbo switch it gives you a boot of power. small battery limited and just for a quick power boost. i dont think it would be to good for you controller though

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I'm still learning about these hubs and pies so please bare with me.
With that said: I plan on racing in the 1000watt class next year. Of course I want the fastest and quickest hub that can meet this requirement. I know with the increase in voltage, this will help a lot but my question is:
If this is a 4000w hub and if I go with 72 or higher volts. Will using a controller with a wattage limiter still allow the motor to perform at a good rate?