It finally happened to me

GoldenMotor.com

adam valentine

Sep 27, 2010
Mission Kansas
well out riding today and i guess i over stretched the cheap chain and it wouldn't fit into the front sprocket correctly and rode o top of the gear dead stopping the bike yanking the chain throwing the idler pulley into the spokes ripping one completely out and bending one other went to wally world bought new chain its too thin :( will my wheel still be OK to ride on missing 1 spoke

Mike Bike

Mar 7, 2011
themikebike.com
yup time to see your bike shop, take you wheel off and have them repair the rim by adding a spokes and "truing" the rim...it might be a great time to repack or replace your barrings(look at some ceramics barrings). you may be able to get them to put the sprocket back on for you:)!

yes you do need a new chain(415 i think) its bigger them any chain for a bike, but like they said befor; never ride a bike with a bad spoke! just never...

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
yup time to see your bike shop, take you wheel off and have them repair the rim by adding a spokes and "truing" the rim..
Rembember adam valentine that some bike shops won't deal with motorized bicycle stuff. Remove the rag joint sprocket too before going in make up a story about how you broke the spokes. You should expect to pay about $1 for each nipple and spoke and about $10-$15 for the truing.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Do you have a local Ace Hardware , Tractor Supply, or Lowes Hardware store .
Purchase a #410 chain it will fit, and it is much stronger.

Or purchase the thin drive sprocket from ThatsDax,
A kool BMX chain for trick riding and file the sides of your rear sprocket's teeth.
I have done both the 410 chain is easier Use the 410 masterlink.

The rim needs repair.

Last edited:

Mike Bike

Mar 7, 2011
themikebike.com
Do you have a local Ace Hardware , Tractor Supply, or Lowes Hardware store .
ive never thought about Ace hardware(Homer moment), never tried Tractor Supply, but i have look at Lowe's and Home Depot, neither of them by me have lawn mower chain parts...i wish they did...

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Just tell you rlocal bike shop you need a 1/2" X 3/16" heavy duty Road bike Chain, KMC and others make these chains.

I told my LHS I needed a 415 Chain and he didnt have a clue what a 415 chain was until I told him the chain measurements and then he remembered he had 2 of them.

This was my experience on these chains when going to a LHS, like I said the #415 meant nothing to him, he had never heard that size chain called by 415 chain.

OR Pirate Cycles has the KMC brand of the 415 chain for a good price also.