bicycle shops hate us !!!

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Bairdco has solved your mystery:

"Back on topic, the bike shops here don't care how you dress, it's how you smell
I dunno sometimes I am pretty smelly from a work out and all?

The reason a roadie is blocking traffic in many cases in my humble opinion. Is well because the gutter instead of claiming part of the street will destroy their bike.

The tires are too tiny and fragile and offer no rim protection either. So it takes nothing to bend/warp a rim or succumb to a flat tire.
I myself when having to team with traffic can politely bear hug the gutter and can easily take all it can dish out. This makes for the fun workout that I came to love. I can leave the cagers happier as well doing my part. Part of my keep it simple arrangement that I have been very fond of. With no flat tires ever!

It may be in other city's that their gutters have no glass or stickers in them and are buttery smooth and the streets are made of gold. Dunno.

When in a shop that points over to the road bikes where the attired crowd is standing. Then has nothing to offer me in what I came there for well? I have usually been standing in the store for over a half hour to began with. I look for down hill forks the big 12 to 1500 dollar ones. Why for such a mountain bike done with road gears and not mountain ones? Simple I is tall. The peddles are now at a touring stance for me. Also they are superior grocery haulers.

135 mm bottom bracket 160 dollars.180 mm cranks 160 dollars. Heavy duty indestructible wheels . Tires with traction too for what ever I may encounter around 300 dollars. Race face seat post that will let me ride by the crack of my behind 70 dollars. My special seat as well 70 dollars.

Have not even got to the rest of the bike yet!

Here is how I carried my cargo for the last 30 years. http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f3/28652d1283392806-cargo-004.jpg http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f3/28653d1283392817-cargo-003.jpg Wanna play? Yes I have peddled home this way many times! In jeans baby!(^) Kinda like they do it in third world counties aye?

I have seen tenants in the bike shop tell me that my bike would fall apart as they immediately are consumed with the idea prolly judging by my stature that I will take it in the mountains all the time for extreme down hilling? Believe it or not I have prolly been a one man band of sorts because over the years I have demonstrated to some of these folks differently. Yes the roadies..

My nice down hill bikes cost just as much as the racing bikes and don't fall apart in my experience. Here is just one picture of a nice one then. I have since done something stiffer to the rear shock on it. This allowed me to place the bike exactly where I likes it best for a touring bike peddling stance. Any guess as to how much this costed me to put together? http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f11/28871d1283972071-goats-head-001.jpg Look at the gearing then?

I do understand tho some folks don't have mountains where they live and coincidentally no trails such as ours this is a mountain bike town. How ever I ride mine in the city's gutters.

Maybe I am really a spandex hater dunno? I really don't care what they wear tho.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
iv'e carried all sorts of stuff on my handlebars over the years, from groceries to other bikes even or vacuums i found that were thrown out once replaced but still working. and my little 20" bmx bikes were always worth a pretty penny, not as much as the road tour bikes but still usually in the $500+ range. often iv'e had like others mentioned, employees at bike shops ignore me, haven't brought a motorized bike in to one yet but should be interesting, the one i go to now i know the guy so he doesn't give me any crap about it but i mite bring it in to one just for kicks once i got it running :D

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Hahhahahhaa. Re: vacuums. I love finding vacuum cleaners bc. half the time they just need a belt or a bag.

I don't know about hanging anything on the bars. I guess if your fork is plush, they won't bust, but I put all my stuff in a milk crate, or tie lightweight things in white bags to the sides of the crate. Works for me. The fabric bags are the toughest. If you salvage some book-bag style clips you can adjust the bag handles to tie to things.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Hahhahahhaa. Re: vacuums. I love finding vacuum cleaners bc. half the time they just need a belt or a bag.

I don't know about hanging anything on the bars. I guess if your fork is plush, they won't bust, but I put all my stuff in a milk crate, or tie lightweight things in white bags to the sides of the crate. Works for me. The fabric bags are the toughest. If you salvage some book-bag style clips you can adjust the bag handles to tie to things.
i don't really hang em there, i balance bigger stuff on the bars, kinda seat the stuff there horizontally. and the worksman i picked up recent is the first bike of mine that wasn't a 20" bmx bike, so carrying stuff in a milk crate wasn't really an option. i plan on eventually getting some collapsible side baskets for my bike so i can carry some stuff in th back though.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I live in Palmdale Ca, and there are only 2 bike shops out here and every time I go to either one of them they treat me as though I have molested a bicycle' I couldn't get the brake horn loose on the rear axel so I took it to one of the bike shops out here and after explaining what I wanted and what I was doing, another guy immediatly cut me off and told me "we don't do work on Motorized bikes,we don't have liability ins. to do that stuff"
well first of all, all I brought in was the rear wheel and all I want was the brake horn loosed,the dude finally did it but told me again that they don't do work on motorized bikes, I thaught to myself, I didn't bring anything on the motorized bike side only the bicycle side what is the problem here? especially since prior to that I spent good $$ with them on alot of stuff, I guess they ride with only the seat post No! seat

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
A lot of bike shops suck, it's just a fact of life for me. I find 1 or two in my area and one anywhere in the continental US that mail orders, which don't suck, and I make an effort to do business with them first.

I went to one local shop recently with a rear wheel from my motor bike, and the shop techs and owner were cool. They asked about it and helped me find the correct part, service with a smile, at a fair price. I don't know if they work on motor bicycles (the whole thing), but I think even if they turned it down, they would be polite. This is why the shop knows me by name, and why I tell my friends about Don Johle's Bike World (Garland TX).

re: downhill bike with road gears. I don't know why that would "fall apart" going downhill anywhere unless you stacked it on the back side of a landing ramp. It looks pretty heavy to me, and many road cranks are incredibly strong now. I had a set of splined 105's before and they were one of the best cranksets I ever owned. The seat angle looks weird, but hey man we all got different riding styles, and you must have a big-masher style to push those gears with DH rims and tires.

Last edited: