New project officially underway

GoldenMotor.com

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
Unfortunately I can not tell from the picture, because the gas tank covers the head, whether it is a flathead. But the description does say side valve, so that means its not ohv. If you get it and it is ohv, just take it back for a refund, but I'm pretty sure thats a flathead.
I was thinking the same thing, but looking down further at the specs, it says Engine Type is 2 cycle. I don't believe that it is though, and I'm guessing the specs are wrong for the engine they have listed as the specs also recommend 10w30 oil. I'm on the phone with Home Depot trying t get some real answers. Wish me luck with that.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I was thinking the same thing, but looking down further at the specs, it says Engine Type is 2 cycle. I don't believe that it is though, and I'm guessing the specs are wrong for the engine they have listed as the specs also recommend 10w30 oil. I'm on the phone with Home Depot trying t get some real answers. Wish me luck with that.
That's definitely a typo. That is a 4 stroke engine.

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
Well, Home Depot was no help. They don't know what they sell. After reading the spec sheet again, they state that it's an OHV even though their product description states "side valve". I'm pretty sure it's an OHV as I'm not finding a flathead anywhere I look. Sure wish I knew where to get one.

This whole thing is starting to wear on me. If trying to find an engine is this difficult, I can only imagine what a hassle rounding up all the other pieces will be. I'm about to throw in the towel before I start. Maybe I just need to buy one of the kits and let it go at that, but then there are so many of those offered how do you know which are any good. Drat.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Look them up on eBay.
Just search under doodlebug engine, 98cc, or 97cc... Thier all the same engine, flat head and side valves... You can tell by the pics
And thier not very pricey either. Some used ones are pretty cheap

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Here is the verdict: You won't find a new flat head or L head engine. Back in 1994 they started changing cars and everything else to overhead valve ( car to roller tapet ). The EPA has taken out a additiv called ZDDP/ZDTP out of motor oils,because it was pluging up canverters. You can buy ZDDP some places, but you can buy Lucas break in oil additiv and mix a small amount in with the new oil( this should be done with anyflat head engine,lawn tractor or mower,or the like.) You can also buy Diesel oil that is : API Service CJ-4 rated. Another note is that most flat head worked best with strieght 30 weight oil and the overhead work best with malti weight 10-30. BigBB if you pm me your email i can send you the hole artical I don't know how to post pictures yet you can post it...............Curt

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Here is the verdict: You won't find a new flat head or L head engine. Back in 1994 they started changing cars and everything else to overhead valve ( car to roller tapet ). The EPA has taken out a additiv called ZDDP/ZDTP out of motor oils,because it was pluging up canverters. You can buy ZDDP some places, but you can buy Lucas break in oil additiv and mix a small amount in with the new oil( this should be done with anyflat head engine,lawn tractor or mower,or the like.) You can also buy Diesel oil that is : API Service CJ-4 rated. Another note is that most flat head worked best with strieght 30 weight oil and the overhead work best with malti weight 10-30. BigBB if you pm me your email i can send you the hole artical I don't know how to post pictures yet you can post it...............Curt
The owner's manual for my engine recommends 10w30. I know that in cars, you can also run 5w30 because the lighter oil works better in the cold. I do plan on riding almost as much in the winter as I do any other time and I have the gear for it. So I think 5w30 will be better for cold weather. I plan on checking my oil once a week and changing it as necessary.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
That is one serious score!

let me know if he has anymore good ones... I like the idea of 98cc fitting in almost the same space as a 49cc, and with twice the torque .wee.

Seriously let me know if he has more for sell.
Sorry, he doesn't he got the engine I bought in a trade, and it was the only one. I will let him know if he comes across any more that people are interested in them though.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Sorry, he doesn't he got the engine I bought in a trade, and it was the only one. I will let him know if he comes across any more that people are interested in them though.
Thanks BBB.
It will be appreciated because some sellers don't ship new ones to CA and others don't fit my budget.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Through a recent turn of events, I had the money today to order my Howard sprocket adapter: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=34590 for those of you who dont know what the Howard adapter is. I was able to pick up the only one currently available for sale. Also, Thanks to MotoMagz, I will have a motor mount and a slew of other spare parts in a few more days as well. I am making some decent progress with parts right now. The transmission will still take me a little while, but Christmas is coming up, so things could change around the holidays.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Today I bought two new slime tubes at Walmart, sent a payment for the ezm flex pipe for the exhaust, and paid what I still owed on the frame. Also got some 10w30 to replace the oil in my forks. One day soon I may take apart my 2 stroke bike and start getting some of the parts I need onto the Schwinn frame.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I got my motor mounts today. Money-wise, I'm about halfway there. $320 in this so far, with a total cost of around $700. So I'm thinking I should have this bike done long before August, which was my original goal. But I have to give credit to the members here who have helped me out with a few parts. If it wasnt for those people, this would be costing me probably at least $100 more, and I wouldnt have been able to afford some of the parts that I have. So thanks guys very much.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Well, I think its going to be a little while till I can afford the parts for the transmission, but I did a couple things today. Finished up the work I needed to do on the K10 forks. Replaced the oil that came in them and stiffened up the springs. They seem fine now. I also changed the oil in the engine and removed the pullstart for painting.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
In a few days, I'll take some pics and post them. I got a lot of work to do after Christmas, taking my old bike apart for the parts I need and finishing up some painting. I did some work on my forks and changed the oil in the Lifan today.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Good to hear! That truly is a great setup, and it's cheaper to get sprockets for it since it uses the standard 9 hole kit sprockets

I was on the ropes about getting but my bikes already have good drive set ups
But I am keeping my eyes out if anyone decides to sell theirs.

Good luck with ur build, looking forward to seeing some pics of the progress. scratg
I just finished my latest build, I'm just waiting for decent weather to ride it.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I took the 2 stroke bike apart today and got started on the Schwinn frame a little bit. I got the bearing cups off the headtube so I could install the Suzuki forks on the Schwinn. I also took the gas tank off and put that on the Schwinn frame. I also put bearing cups on the bottom bracket of the Schwinn frame. I discovered that I need a new rear wheel or hub, because the Howard adapter does not fit my current hub. I bought the adapter and I'm determined to use it, so I'll hopefully figure something out soon. Anyway, here is a pic of what I have done so far.

Last edited: