Which camera do you use

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Silverbear, you are gonna love your Go-Pro! I haven't met a bad Go-Pro yet.

I have cheap Emerson Go-Pro knock-off like ckangaroo70 and although it works pretty well, it ain't no Go-Pro!

I mount my Emerson on a Go-Pro chesty harness and the video comes out like this:

Emerson chesty mounted

That vid was taken yesterday at the Grange race in Apple Valley, CA.

Go-Pro's rock!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Scotto,
You guys have some serious acceleration! Wouldn't it be cool if there was a second camera shooting the same race, but with you in the picture? Then the two different points of view could be intercut. And if say a third person was taking a shot from the sidelines of your bike approaching and then passing by also cut into the sequence... woohoo!

I realize that the primary focus is the race itself, but if someone else was mostly interested in capturing the experience for the benefit of the viewer then the recording is the primary focus. You might end up with a video that you watch now and then over and over again for the next 20 years... back when you were a young guy and your bike was your latest hot stuff!

That was nice video, so was the ride recorded by ckangaroo70. Greg's clips of the bridge rides have different points of view (most from the rider, but also from a set tripod) put together in the editing. If I can do something approaching what you guys have done then the next big challenge is my learning to edit. Looking forward to this gopro thing... thanks!

Got Windows 7 installed on my aging laptop successfully, with glitches, of course. No audio, no wifi connectivity and media player doesn't work. Other than that, perfect! Have a disc of drivers ordered so I'm hoping to have that straightened out pretty soon.
Then I can download the camera software and start experimenting with the gopro. The little hobby king camera should be here this week and I hope to get that working, too. Maybe this won't be such a long winter after all.
SB

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Have not done any mab videos recently. Used a Kodak easyshare that worked well. When mounted on handle bar it picked up too much motor audio.

Then mounted it on chin guard of full face helmet from my stock car days. Mounted low enough so my vision was not blocked and could still see the led screen to adjust camera aim. It worked well, but as stated, you can turn your head too fast and 35mph mab speed makes it worse.

Ron

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Scotto,
You guys have some serious acceleration! Wouldn't it be cool if there was a second camera shooting the same race, but with you in the picture? Then the two different points of view could be intercut. And if say a third person was taking a shot from the sidelines of your bike approaching and then passing by also cut into the sequence... woohoo!

I realize that the primary focus is the race itself, but if someone else was mostly interested in capturing the experience for the benefit of the viewer then the recording is the primary focus. You might end up with a video that you watch now and then over and over again for the next 20 years... back when you were a young guy and your bike was your latest hot stuff!
SB
That would be really cool silverbear.....could start making movies like "On Any Sunday" with our little motorized bike then.

Some guys are getting very good with their vids and editing skills and software......did you see this vid that nashmoto (Brian Nash) did at the last race event with multiple cameras on board?

Check it out: http://youtu.be/SNTPp8EwnKg

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Hobby king also has a go pro clone for around $85 I think....not sure what a go pro cost

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
http://www.amazon.com/Original-SJ40...245&sr=8-6&keywords=sj4000+hd#customerReviews

I'm reading a lot of good things about the sj4000 camera which is a gopro3 clone of comparable quality. This one is also wifi so you can control it through your iphone or android phone.

Hobby King sells this same camera for $99.00 minus shipping and without wifi it sells for $83.00. A little less through Amazon, closer to $75.00.

This is compatible with most of the gopro accessories for a wide range of mounting options.

Had I known more about this sj4000 I think I would have gone this route instead of paying more money for a used gopro2 which is a bit less capable. Live & learn. At these prices having more than one camera is more possible. You can buy three of these for the price of a comparable new Gopro. Gopro's very best is better (according to what I read), but these sj4000 clones are a great option.

Racie, thanks for the hot tip on Hobby King...
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here's a bit of review of the gopro3 black edition, the sj4000 and a couple of others. At the bottom of the page is a clear description of how the sj4000 works.

https://discountchinaelectronics.wordpress.com/tag/sj4000/

Here's a good deal on the wifi version now available (called the sj5000) through Amazon.
$80.00 including shipping...

http://www.amazon.com/CIYOYO®-Water...ie=UTF8&qid=1413983488&sr=8-9&keywords=sj5000

SB
Thank you for the links silverbear, much appreciated!

Here is a really cool video that was shot last weekend at the race in Apple Valley, CA. The vid was shot using a helmet mounted GoPro facing to the rear and really shows the action of this intense battle for 1st place of the Mid Class final race that day.

Chris did the filming while leading the race against Jim Rust of Arrow Bikes.....I think you can clearly see who won the 10 lap race!

Chris was aboard Easy Rider's Morini Boxxer which just could not be out done by the fast Arrow Bike ridden by none other than Jim Rust......"The Man". I believe Chris had multiple GoPro's on board so we may see more soon.....

Check this out: Mid-Class Final Race

GoPro.....or go home :D

Chris is user "Flash_BeeZy" on this forum

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I found out a little more on the camera my son in law used for the Red oak covered bridge video, its a go pro 3 black. From what I've read its close to the top of the line, at least it was a couple of years ago. A go pro is on my wish list, I'll have to leave hints to the family to do a combined gift for Christmas.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Here is a bit of video I shot yesterday using my new SJ4000 video camera. Thing does an awesome job when capturing video standing still. However this bit of video was taken with the camera mounted on my helmet while taking some laps on my go kart. The track was rough and my head was bouncing like a bobble head. Don't think the shake would be near as extreme on my bike.http://youtu.be/zXRqnNqMUdI

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
LOL, lots of left turns there, Ray.

I'm impressed. You caught those other three carts and passed all three.
The camera seems great even with the head shaking. Which wasn't that much, all things considered. A cart has to ride rougher than a bike. Dirt track?

If you put music to it you'd have to use some Jim Croce> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aUl9l1O7sE
Cool vid. Thanks.

Tom

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That camera does a nice job. I don't imagine there's much way to smooth out the image with as rough a ride as the track gives. It would probably be a lot better on asphalt, I imagine.
SB

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Love both Jim Croce and Molly Hatchet. Good tunes right there!
Yea..I think my camera will do a much better job on my bike. Have to take a bike ride with it soon.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That camera does a nice job. I don't imagine there's much way to smooth out the image with as rough a ride as the track gives. It would probably be a lot better on asphalt, I imagine.
SB
Silver,
There's an old saying, "Asphalt is for racing, dirt is for growing potatos."
Of course if you're a dirt tracker there's this; "Dirt is for racing. Asphalt is for parking lots" :)

Tom