Which camera do you use

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Found US sellers of the SJ4000 on eBay, $50 shipped
I checked and the lowest for an SJCAM brand on Ebay and for SJ4000 WiFi starts at $78. I filtered by including SJCAM and SJ400 Wifi to find. It ships from China. I read just a little and it said that not yet ready for Iphone, and for Andriod you download the OS.

MT

PS at the bottom of the page I saw this, and I guess they are right:

Because of international delivery, shipping time is almost out of our control, so please check the estimated time of arrival before you purchase. If the delivery time is beyond what you can accept, please don’t buy. Thanks.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I got the SJ5000, the one I am returning, but just looked it over as it was not in a sealed package. The charger is one thing I guess I could get an adapter for it. The USA type twin blade plug was not seen. It instead has two thin round pins for a plug. It does say printed on the charger that it is 100 - 240 vac and 50 to 60 hz so I guess that's OK, just I can't use it still without an adapter.

The box for the SJ5000 from CIYOYO through Amazon say it is good for both Android listed models and Iphone models. The last post for the one on Ebay said not for I phone yet. Wonder if SJ5000 has different ones within the clone of the SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi Original?

Anyway it (The SJ5000) is going back and I'll be credited all so no biggie.

The SJCAM original SJ4000 WiFi I am keeping and need to get up to speed and check it out still as of yet.

MT

PS, Just so you know I double checked to see if the charger did not already have an adapter that could be removed to reveal a twin blade kind of USA AC Plug, it did not. The picture on the box though does look like what I need the twin flat blade AC USA Plug. So that is what I found.

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Can it also be charged through the USB cable? That's how the Gopro charges... off your computer. You got your camera really fast. Mine is... um, mine is...
SB

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
It says you can in the manual for mine, but the reviewer in a video says it needs to be 1amp (1000mA) for the computer USB. The guy seem to believe that most computer USB ports have 1/2 amp (500mA) usually and that is the rub. The manual is not adding that additional info, but the guy said that it would be a problem. I seem to think it would be a problem if you were using the camera while charging and it was less than 1 amp on the USB PC port. Anyway if you have what they sell as a USB hub and are not using all its ports, they are designed with beefier current usages. Check specs and find out.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
No sure but maybe this is the one for the charger I took a picture of from the camera I already have going back.

======================

http://www.amazon.com/Ckitze-EU-Eur...415223160&sr=8-11&keywords=plug+german+to+usa

Generic Round Europe to USA Plug Adapter
by Generic
421 customer reviews
| 4 answered questions
List Price: $4.99
Price: $1.21 & FREE Shipping
You Save: $3.78 (76%)
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by chineseledwholesaler.
Color: Black

Convert two round prongs to two flat prongs
Precision engineered for tight fit
This adaptor plug modifies electrical outlet, does not change the voltage, supports universal voltage 110V-240V.

› See more product details

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Well the MB website some how round filed my post I was to have here, but it was not much other than I scanned the tiny manual for the SJCAM SJ4000 WIFI user manual to jpeg files on my PC so I could see them better.

I also have both Android and Iphone already with the apps to have them control the camera. Blister package for the 32GB class 10 micro SD card was fun trying not to damaged as well as the adapter while trying to get out of package &*&*%.

Could this be as difficult as loading 600 roll film in a Brownie Camera?

Hey remember 2 months for developing film. If you were not near by Kodak in early years and then the postal mail to cross the country East to West Coast in California it was a good fun wait. Prepaid mailers while you were on vacation to put the film in and maybe when you got back home from a long trip it would be in the mail box waiting for you.

HeHe;)

PS all the back button did this time was allow to login again but without using Word or Wordpad and saving some other way it was gone. I know there is some thread on MB about problems and how to fix, but this is still happening?

MT

Attachments

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I was able to record pic and vids with sound. The sound for some reason would be able to be heard using the Andriod but separate from picture and visa versa. Why this happens I don't know. There are two way to view vid on Android. One way the Android had the sound but when heard you I could not use the controls in the viewer. The other way to view vids you had full control, but said audio not supported. I took the micro SD card out and installed in the adapter and into my PC and it worked fine with vid having moving pictures in sync with sound all fine.

Stills no problem with pics anywhere you view.

Charging battery now. Two more batteries on the way. I will say the quality of close up video is really sharp. Gonna try later longer distance pics and video and maybe add better external mic when I found out how to do this. It was actually I had the water proof case off, but yet still did not take the film stuff off the lens and screen to protect the camera. I would bet doing the lens protective film cover off and cleaning the lens it will be really great!

All the modes I have not fooled with yet, but I'll say it is a good buy and if it lasts a few beatings up and hope the camera case it springs a leak does not fill to fast I can get it opened in time to save it. The battery is first to come out in that event, as that is what I know does damage. Salt water and current is not a good thing. I am thinking double case and alarm to warn to get to surface, but that is what you do for IMAX, probably this is throwaway?

MT

The night pic and video from what I saw in the eval vids in Brittan were quite good, I'll have to see it work in low light and give it a try myself. Trail riding by Moon light, maybe not. Afternoon toward dust, yea!

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
MT,
It sounds like you're having some initial good experiences. Let's hope it keeps up. Did you have to format your SD card and was there a downloading of software into the camera before you could use it?

That's how it is with Gopro and that's were I'm stuck in limbo since the newer Gopro software requires at least Vista in a windows OS. I had XP, bought another machine used which originally had Vista on it, loaded the OS and figured I was good to go. I had previously wiped the hard drive with software for that and partitioned the hard drive to accept a dual boot of linux Ubuntu 14.4 alongside Windows Vista. What happened next is one of the reasons I really like Ubuntu as an operating system.

When I brought up Ubuntu everything on the new to me laptop worked beautifully, sound, video, wifi, loaded a freeware video player and it does video playback without a hitch. Perfect, and to think the operating system is free, no registration, and is constantly being worked on to improve it more by a voluntary world wide network of users. There is a core organization which does the programming, but with input from all over the world. People working together to make something good to share with each other... that's the way things should be, isn't it?

Then there's Microsoft Vista which is not freeware as we all know, but is "feeware" (just thought of that new word). I booted up Vista and there was no sound. The video is rough and needs a driver. Media player doesn't work. It did not come with a video player bundled in the software, that will be an extra "fee" to pay later. And the wifi did not work. Other than that, perfect.

So one operating system was made by volunteers and the other by highly paid technowizards for a system to be licensed to certain laptop manufacturers, including HP which made my Elitebook laptop. You would think the A team would win this contest, but not so. And you would think the drivers for the machines made for and paid by the licensed computer companies would come bundled in the Vista install disc. It was in the Ubuntu disc. Why not Vista?

There is no support from windows on supplying the drivers and a search on the internet, including ebay did not turn up a cd with the appropriate drivers. Not windows responsibility, I guess. HP does have free drivers to download assuming you have a way to get on the internet... that the wifi works, but my machine needs the appropriate driver (catch 22).

I thought maybe I could get around that with a USB wifi adapter and I had one which I once used on an XP machine. Not so fast, buddy. It would connect momentarily and as soon as you try to go somewhere on the net the connection would drop. Arrrggg... Then last evening I looked at other wifi adapters on ebay and discovered that some adapters are not compatible with Vista. So I have ordered one which is compatible and in a week can try again. All this so that I can use the gopro camera while I wait for the clone in a bottle to drift my way.

Shooting videos is a lot of fun....... I'm hoping. So far it is a lot of hassle including some hurry up and wait. Please forgive the rant. Before you buy a camera see what you need in terms of your computer first. If your machine is old, be forewarned. If you have newish stuff or Mac, you're good to go.
SB

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The last question answered first, as I'm negative.... OK negative logic..... maybe not even logical... but as far back as I remember I hope not to forget the last thing I heard.

OK I never used a free Vista Upgrade from XP that came with the old desktop PC I have. When XP support ended, I went to get a new laptop and returned it when 8 was on it.

Then the store tried to install for free OEM I purchased 7, this after they lied said it was free then said not, then said was free install. Subsequently not working so I'm stuck with a 7 OEM only about 100 dollars in hand. I fought to return the 8 laptop and had success.

Then got a 7 laptop, and subsequently got Microsoft to allow return of OEM opened 7. Hey pretty good ehhhh!

Now I think you could in the meanwhile use your Android or Iphone with wifi to use the GoPro I think you said you have. Then you could view the videos on the handset. Sure it is a smaller screen but it should work. Then once it is there transfer the .mov file from the handset to the computer even if it is Vista or Penguin.

As for me, I saw the battery which I did not initially charge as I saw about 1/3 of the full charge bars showing for the battery in the camera as it arrived.

Oh I did open the battery case and take the tape off the battery covering the electrical contacts. I don't think the gold plated battery contacts got the glue from the tape on them as the contacts are recessed in the plastic battery case.

Note the battery gauge it must not be linear. I still had a 1/4 charge or so and I actually saw in some videos the low battery warning super imposed on the video.

Not sure if that is an option in the set up menu and if it can be removed from video even if you had it on when taking the video. I know I had not yet set the time and date, which I know is an option in set up. I was just trying to get a quick check and sort of winging it. Later to refine settings.

Note I heard keep the charger plugged in when swapping batteries as otherwise then settings go back to default. I'm not sure this is safe for the camera and charger with out battery installed. I have to check on that.

It would seem that the camera should have memory that lasts for a few hours with a capacitor or better yet an EEPROM that saves it without any power for years.

Maybe the battery without a full 1st charge on it was why the sound by itself and the movie picture by itself could not be shown together while viewing on the Android. There are two ways for some reason to view videos on the Android? I can only hope as otherwise it will take more ciphering. In any case when I transferred to my 7 laptop the same videos, I could see and hear it fine.

I did view the SD card memory properties and it came formatted as some don't. I formatted it myself on my 7 laptop just to be sure anyway. I verified it was formatted OK.

I'll like to see the Iphone also work as the reviews are bleak for both OS's from Google Play where I got them. If 7 OEM is still only about 100 bucks maybe that could be a way if your PC supports it with the hardware / firmware BIOS.

Mostly I would think the holidays if not getting a laptop, but the slightly smaller kinda laptop with smaller screen and keyboard, but not a Pad which I guess is not really a full computer. They go for probably 200 dollars and would be with the latest OS.

My computer is about 2 or so years old I am keeping running. I pretty much always have a dual fan cooler pad under it running to hopefully extend its life. My last laptop lasted I think 7 years. Using AVG PC Tune up for just 30 dollars for a 2 year period also makes it run better, besides protection while on line.

MT

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The problem is that I have to do an initial download of software from Gopro to the camera with the new SD card. To do that I have to have Vista or newer. No software download to android or linux and I don't have mac... do have an iphone, but don't know if that is enough. Once the camera is setup then I can use my android tablet. I know I can use either the tablet or the iphone for the wifi aspect of turning it on, etc. but that is after the camera has it's software programming in place. In a week I'll have my USB wifi adapter and should be able to use vista for the download. Sometimes it is nutifying to jump from one OS to another and back and forth, but that's the way it is. I'll make it work one way or another.

You didn't say with your SJ4,000 whether or not you had to install software into the camera initially in order to use it.
SB

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
No software needed to go into the SJCAM SJ4000 WiFi. I was able to see version in setup. I suppose if there is a firmware / OS that is for the camera, then I guess it would possibly take a computer to get the update. I would also think maybe the Andriod or Iphone could do the same, but I'm not there yet. I will look and see if it is the newest from seeing what is on the SJCAM website.

MT

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I think I know why the Android has two ways to view the videos via WiFi from the SJCAM. One was from the Android in the first place. The second came from the App that I use from SJCAM on the Android. I still have not an answer why I can not get both audio and video together to see on the Android either way. Sort of crazy to have audio without video and visa versa of the two ways to view on Android. Anyway the memory card moved to PC has it right with both audio and video together. Also the camera back little screen works well. I guess there is no speaker on the camera, a built in mic there is and maybe see about an external to connect in some way too.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
In using the WiFi connection to my Android to the SJCAM, I used up all the internal memory on my Android. I have an external memory SD card in the Android I put the pictures I take with the Androids own built in camera. It is has more space. I shall see if I can direct the storage of data from the SJCAM App to use it instead and maybe that will clear many problems that are happening.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Camscam...
http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/threadid.1394936

Above is a link to the controversy over the SJ5000 camera. I have a sinking feeling that my camera in a bottle drifting this way in the Pacific Ocean contains a cheap piece of non functioning junk which I will then need to return. "Camera must be return in shipping bottle with seaweed packing as original. Seat cork firmly and toss in Atlantic Ocean. Your payment will be returned promptly when it gets here. Thank you. We look forward to do business again!"

Or something like that. Maybe it will work great. And maybe there really is an Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, too. I'll find out for sure about the camera sometime NEXT MONTH.
SB

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
CIYOYO is the maker of the one from Amazon that you ordered and not Amkov. Sure neither are SJCAM Original, but there are many good reviews from Amazon for CIOYO SJ5000. I guess time will tell what you think.

I got the spare batteries and have yet to see if they fit an charge up and work well.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I tried the motion detection to start video. It worked, then I thought to try it again and can't get it to work anymore?

Oops. think it just needs to have the camera turned off and back on again. It is working. I am seeing about time out I can set after it automatically starts from motion detection. Then I would like it to start again from motion when it senses.... on an on. I don't know yet if that can be done.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Well it looks like my family has listened to me on the camera I want for Christmas , I had been telling my wife I wanted a go pro white edition but she has already ordered the silver edition bundle package which has a lot more bells and whistles than the white. The thing is its going to be the dead of winter and I won't be able to do very much riding!