Exhaust Modification

GoldenMotor.com

wilson1963

Dec 26, 2009
Lowell
Hello everyone, brand new to the group as of today, Got my 15 year old son a huffy cranbrook from wally-world, along with an 80cc motor as a thing to do together project and a great conversation piece for him. Problem: Exhaust is way too close to front tire, in fact it won't turn one direction. My guess is too heat it up and hope for a good bend, but has anyone else ran into this? Any other snafoo's I should expect coming ahead of us? Thanks everyone.....great looking site, can't wait to really get time to explore it.....Dondrn2

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
My first suggestion would be to try the search feature as this is definitely a common issue. =-) That aside, you have the right idea. Heat and bend carefully. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS ON THE BIKE. If you do you will likely break the exhaust studs. IF the bend is too drastic you can pie cut bend and weld. You can also pack with sand for a tight weld with heat to prevent kinking. Good luck.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Are you sure the forks are not backwards?

I have built many cranbrooks and used many different kits and never had one that front tire came close to the muffler. Just wondering if it was assembled wrong from the store which many are. If you could post a pic that would be great. The front forks should curve forward.

scratg

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are you sure the forks are not backwards?

I have built many cranbrooks and used many different kits and never had one that front tire came close to the muffler. Just wondering if it was assembled wrong from the store which many are. If you could post a pic that would be great. The front forks should curve forward.

scratg
I concur. The Huffy Cranbrook is a very popular bike and there are a lot of them owned by members here. I've never heard of muffler/wheel interference. Post a photo if you can.
Tom

wilson1963

Dec 26, 2009
Lowell
ok folks....Definetly never claimed to be anything other than a guy from a small town.....the forks were backwards.....picking the bike off the table and spinning them 180 and setting it back up, replacing the motor.....did it..... But I will tell you, I may not be very entheuastic over this kit, but my 15 year old is ate up!! I truely appreciate all the help.....I will post pics as we go along and again....thanks!...Don and Steven.

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
lmao. Nice catch guys. I was too fixated on the bending part without invoking basic reading comprehension and questioning the problem at hand. Ah, if only all problems had such simple solutions I wouldn't have spent so much money on tools...

=-)

wilson1963

Dec 26, 2009
Lowell
To give Huffy credit, this was NOT their mistake. I purposely purchased the bike unassembeled as my son loves building and creating these kinds of things. I showed him the correction this morning....he just shook his head, walked away mumbling something about how did we not look at that.... gotta laugh...:-||

wilson1963

Dec 26, 2009
Lowell
yeah,....I will get excited....Yesterday was day #1 of the build....and I told him several times we would run into snags and snafoos that would take problem solving....Thought it would be a good lesson for him.....turning it into a lesson for us both. Dremmel tool worked great for the sprocket, needing some grinding to fit over the bearings, small adjustments here and there, but the first few steps went well....until the dreaded backward fork mystery....

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Wilson. That is great. He will remember this and you forever. So much more to learn from these things then wrenching.

Post lots of pics

wilson1963

Dec 26, 2009
Lowell
O.K. Folks.... With only a few minor details and bugs, we're almost done. If it don't snow tomorrow, it may get a trial run. Bolts for ignition mod were too short and need to get longer ones tomorrow. Chain....could be a problem, it kept coming off during slow peddling, moved the idler and made some adjustments, seems to be better but need to get it out to tell the final story. Chain keeps hitting the fender too. Spark plug wire was real tight as we put the motor in at a slant to adjust to the peddle clearance, plug is real close to frame. Here is a pic, guys, please give me some feedback or constructive criticism. Thanks for the support too.

*** He's already talking about THE NEXT one....lol!!!***

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll121/wilson1963/DSCF2752.jpg

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
*** He's already talking about THE NEXT one....lol!!!***

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll121/wilson1963/DSCF2752.jpg
Harr, lol. Normal. There is the one your building. The one your ridding and the one your planing...

Wow, lookin' good! Nice build

With 2 folks working on her, would walk behind and watch the chain and sprocket as they turn. Clicking sounds, wobble or misalignment should be addressed before trying her under power. Just saying, really is important. Think we all have done it once. Get em going, every thing good and then that screeching sound as the rear wheel locks up. Really important to lose or shore up the front fender. If it lets go, the front end stops. The rider and rear of the bike don't. Really hurts...

(My first ride on a MB lasted from one side of the yard to the other. The tensioner in the spokes really slowed me down, lol)

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Looks like a great job you did, i think you can flip that head around so the spark plug faces toward the rear,but im not 100% sure,you can ask someone else that might know.

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
You seriouslu wanna do something about that before riding. I didn't notice mine rubbing, and it hit when riding, and the chain ripped the fender down over the rear wheel, and i skidded for a few feet before slamming. Broke all the fender mounts, tore up the fender real bad, ground down, and roughed me up a bit. Just a lil heads up. You might wanna read threads on here on how to beef up your fender mounts.