Starting to look like something

GoldenMotor.com

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Got the drive chains on. Looks like everything lines up perfectly and no half links needed. Sometimes you get a break!

Attachments

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Thanks guys!

Got a little bogged down with wiring over the weekend. It was sweet to hear the engine turn over! It will be sweeter when I get a spark.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
OK, I've to to admit I know little about these engines anyone know where these things go?

1. Crankcase vent?
2. Extra vacuum connections?
3. Open port on cylinder head.

Attachments

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I made a considerable amount of progress over the weekend. I got the basic wiring done. Cranked the engine. Got spark! Connected up the carb and poured some gas in the tank. Turned the engine over and vrrrrrm!!!

I still have quite a few things left: clutch, brakes, shift lever, lights, but getting the engine running was a major milestone!

Attachments

Busfella

Apr 18, 2014
Fort Worth
Gotta admit I didn't like the motor at the first of the thread. After seeing the bike now,completely changed my mind. Stunning bike! Love it and can't say enough! Sooooo cool!

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Anyone have any experience with Mukuni carbs? I'm a total novice and documentation seems to be hard to find.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Anyone have any experience with Mukuni carbs? I'm a total novice and documentation seems to be hard to find.

I think they're good carbs. Very adjustable. I guess there are "real" mikunis and copy mikunis. The real ones have a larger float bowl and slightly different body shape. Seems like most people use the copies, they seem to be fine. The jets are different for the copies.

I found that you do need to experiment with the main jet size and pilot jet size to get smooth performance through the entire rpm range. Once you get the right jets, you're golden. I run a vm22 on a 5hp briggs and Honda 190cc. With your engine maybe larger, like a 24mm would work well.

Affordable Gokarts's website has a mikuni tuning tutorial, very helpful.

Gilbert

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I got her running well enough for a trip around the block today. Only runs with full choke though. Definitely in need of some tuning!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
First check for air leaks between the carb and the head. Often a manifold will distort and suck air in down the sides of the gasket.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
Well the dual pull kit I had ordered for the brakes fell through. The manufacturer was out of parts. Probably just as well as I would have had to modify it to work with larger cables, but I had to ditch the brass lever. I found a dual pull lever sized for heavier motorcycle cables. The scooter style cables were a pretty good fit too.

Attachments