what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Yeah, cloud9 seats are great. I get them for about $20. There are 2 models that are my favorite, the men's sport seat (solid foam innards) and the men's sport seat with the cut-out.

croblesjr

Sep 19, 2012
Waco/Hewitt, TX

Biked home for about 5 miles today as my gas started leaking/flowing out through the air filter while driving. Needless to say my motor is as clean as a whistle after wiping away all the gas.

Shopping around for carb now probably as this is the 4th time this has happened.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

croblesjr, is there a reason why you cannot clean and adjust the float and float valve inside the carburetor? There may be nothing wrong with the carburetor you have that a little TLC can't fix.
Also, are you using a quality inline fuel filter?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Made a mirror mount for my right side mirror out of an old brake lever clamp. I cut off the part that used to hold the brake lever with a hacksaw, and threaded the mirror through the hole where the allen bolt went that was normally used to tighten it. Now the bolts on the mirror stem tighten the clamp. It works like a charm. My left brake lever/hand control already has a mirror mount built in. This bike will have a cent. clutch (4stroke), so the front brake is on the left and the rear brake is coaster.

croblesjr

Sep 19, 2012
Waco/Hewitt, TX

croblesjr, is there a reason why you cannot clean and adjust the float and float valve inside the carburetor? There may be nothing wrong with the carburetor you have that a little TLC can't fix.
Also, are you using a quality inline fuel filter?
Hmm good question about the fuel filter. I've taken the carburetor apart before and cleaned it up after the first time. I guess I just over looked something I'll go over it again just have to wake up before everyone else does in the house to be able to do anything to the bike. I'll give it another go.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

When I got home the other day after a pot-hole filled ride I had a rim full of spaghetti under me, so I pulled the rear wheel today to check the spokes. Pretty much every one was so loose I could finger tighten over a turn per spoke. I pulled the tire off and stripped the rim tape out, then dropped the wheel into another frame and went all the way around tightening spokes, checking for true against a strip of cardboard I taped across the chainstays. Found the axle-nut on the cassette side was a little loose so I snugged that up. Replaced the rim tape, put the tire and tube back on it, remounted it on the beast and went for a test run.

After about a ten minute ride, I pulled over and checked them again only to find they were almost all loose again. Went around the rim and tightened them all up and rode home. They stayed firm for the run home, but I had to true the rim a bit more, it still had a slight warp making it rub the brake pad once per turn. I'll take it for another ride tomorrow, and see how it does.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

spokes and nipples can strip out, especially on soft steel spokes (like old schwinns).

Sometimes it's just needed to experience how much tension is required to keep them put. I like to use rubbing alcohol to "lube" the spoke threads, and prevent spoke twist with a padded pliers.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

I'm hoping it was mostly a combination of the slightly loose axle nut and a couple of serious pothole slams I couldn't avoid due to traffic, but I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the info. The wheel feels like it might be slightly out of round now, so that's something else I need to check on.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I aired up the tires, put a Motorbicycling.com sticker on the frame, and made "vroom vroom" noises and played with the brakes. My podiatrist says I should be back on the bikes in a month. I'll probably ride the motorized bicycle first, since I can use the assistance of the engine if I don't feel up to pedaling back. I think I'll pump the gasoline out and put fresh fuel in it.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

Rode My Pig grocery shopping and toted home over 100lbs of refined sugar and other tasty junk in the basket. Wallows like the Pig she is under such abuse but never stops trying. I love my Pig!

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada

had my monster apart most of the day and worked on it, as my kid was sick and i couldnt go to work.
cut new exhaust gasket and fit the pipe back on with new allen key bolts, stiff as a board now :)
installed speedo that just arrived today.
fixed hole in the tank from welding :s ... repainted the tank and mounted all up.
reworked my fuel lines too. much better flow now :)
and looked around for wider bars. mine are only 23" wide... need more room for headlight setup i got goin on it and a few other things.. lol

just wanna say.. THIS COMMUNITY IS GREAT!!!
without it, i would not have contemplated even getting a second kit after the hassles i had the first time round.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

Finally found ways to have all three belts on the twin jackshaft 40:1 ratio motor bike have tensioning capability so that belts are not popped onto pulleys stressing both belt and pulleys.

A turn buckle tool for the second and third belts, while a back side idler pulley is used on the first belt get the job done. Shims made of keys for pulleys, but I instead cut and shaved to shape are used to limit the tension on the 2nd belt. It is so that I get the exact same position on the bottom jackshaft (which is slotted to allow tensioning belt) and know that the bearings are running smooth.

The shims stay in place with fender washers, while the turn buckle tool is used and then removed before operation of the motor bike.

Art Fish Mobile Motor Bike prior Motor Bike DIY'er build to add side car maybe?

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=467456#post467456 post 119 an 120 for all pictures current

MT

LAguyyy

Super Skilled Master Newb
Feb 25, 2013
Honolulu, hi

Ordered an Arrow Torquer II exhaust, good air filter, awsome blue fuel line, and finally a hub adapter. Sooo tired of bent rims!

LAguyyy

Super Skilled Master Newb
Feb 25, 2013
Honolulu, hi

Wouldn't recommend it. Really any of them at Home Depot or lowes would work, you'll find em with the chainsaw/weed wacker parts. If it doesn't say fuel pump its gotta be gravity.

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego

Converted an expired fire extinguisher into a reserve fuel tank for my 2 stroke

Replaced the belt on my 4 stroke

Russ McClay

Jan 21, 2013
Taipei

Hmm good question about the fuel filter. I've taken the carburetor apart before and cleaned it up after the first time. I guess I just over looked something I'll go over it again just have to wake up before everyone else does in the house to be able to do anything to the bike. I'll give it another go.
Not sure what kind of carb you have, but my first one (66cc/NT) had a leak in the plastic float which allowed gas to get inside it, which weighed it down, which caused gas to flow out of the air filter (through the overflow hole). Changed that and all was well.