New motor; Clutch doesn't work! Help!

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
So after months of wanting to do this, and after fixing the mount after the cheap bolt broke off inside the engine, I've finally got my motorized bike just about ready. Everything's about in place, except for one problem. The clutch doesn't function!

Now from what I understand, the clutch arm is supposed to push a pin through the engine against a ball bearing which pushes another pin that disengages the clutch. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

No matter how much I tighten the wire controlling the arm, the clutch just doesn't want to move. I've even taken a screwdriver and pushed it through where the pin is supposed to go and nothing seems to happen with the clutch. I have the cover off on both sides of the motor and I can see that the clutch itself isn't moving.

I decided to try and take off the clutch and examine what's going on, but this is really hard when I can't even disengage the clutch in the first place! I removed the little screw and tried to remove the flower-nut like in all the videos, but it won't budge! Should I force it?

I bought the kit from rawmotors.com. Everything seems to work just fine except the clutch and the fuel valve(which leaks gas). I've looked all through youtube and everyone seems to be getting the clutch to work fairly easy.

What should I do?

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Nevermind, I think I solved the problem.

Actually, there really wasn't much of a problem The flower nut was screwed on ultra-tight, and even with the clutch handle taped all the way down on the handlebar the clutch parts still barely budged. I discovered that all I needed was a lot of force to disengage the clutch. I took the arm and pushed it as far in as I could, and alas, the clutch came loose and I was able to unscrew the flower nut. I screwed it into a position that seems to allow the clutch to disengage and grab nicely when it's engaged.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Yeah, that's what happens sometimes. After some non-use, the clutch pads stick to the friction plate, and sometimes you hafta smack the bucking bar with a piece of wood, or press real hard on the clutch lever to get them loose again.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Holy crap, after all this time, I FINALLY got my bike running! After all the problems I dealt with, it actually works, and it works great! I'm very impressed! WOOHOOO!!!

.shft.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Holy crap, after all this time, I FINALLY got my bike running! After all the problems I dealt with, it actually works, and it works great! I'm very impressed! WOOHOOO!!!

.shft.
Congratulations. That's a great feeling of accomplishment when that little bugger fires the first time and actually starts to pull you around.
Now, go have fun but ride safe.
Tom

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Yeah, when it actually fires you are somewhat amazed eh?

I know I was - :)
Yes, it's one of the best feelings ever. Especially because, to be honest, I expected it not to work. At least not the first time. But that was the first time I actually tried firing it up. Man, did that feel good!