Rotten Orange build - Gary Fisher Aquila shifter buildup!

GoldenMotor.com

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Now its time for the fun part! Test fitting the engine to the frame with the shift kit installed:

I removed the left side bearing plate, the clutch cover, the large sprocket on the shaft and to allow the engine to be temp fited to the frame with the jackshaft in place.

Here is the engine sitting on the bike with the new engine mounts mocked up where they should be sitting:

The clearances are very tight, but it looks like its going to work on my bike, even with the custom engine mounts:

Less than 1/8 between the right side bearing plate and the tire lugs!

Alignment looks pretty good. Its a straight shot from the drive sprocket to my outer sprocket. This will be adjusted as needed when the freewheel sprocket assembly is installed on Monday.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
An overview of the bike with the engine on it. I'll be building a radical intake manifold for this enigne, as with the seatpost angle and engine positioning requirement for the shifter kit, I dont think the new Dellorto carb is going to fit where the stock carb was.

Blurry image of the side view showing clearances.

And a better image, slightly bird's eye view. you can see that the 5/8" shaft collar is in place at the back of the jackshaft. This collar just BARELY, and I mean BARELY clears my seatpost. I was thinking I was going to need to find a narrowed shaft collar to replace it, but the supplied collar will work after all! Woohoo!

My English Mastiff, Kayla, supervising the whole ordeal got tired and took a nap during the test fit. She says I've got to weld it all up now or else I'll never get my couch back.

Last edited:

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Here is the tuned pipe expansion exhaust I scored for $20 on ebay:

This will take some cutting and welding to get it to fit the bike, but should really wake up my engine!

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
The amount of work you are getting done bodes well for my riding buddy to go riding again. You run a nice bead and generally do nice work.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I dunno if those beads are very nice considering I havent used the welder in a while. They're not gonna break, thats for sure.

Once I'm warmed up after a little pre-welding practice with the welder, I can lay some pretty nice ones. :) My beads with these mounts had a little too much spatter for my liking since I havent welded in a while.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Well, the rear engine mounts are welded in place and I'm considering them done. :)

Everything still lines up and looks like the drive sprocket is still perfectly in line with the crank sprocket.

I'm going to start fabricating my fuel tank tommorrow (err today considering the time) as well as a front engine mount. The only challenge is that the front mount needs to be vertically adjustable (parallel with the seat post tube) to allow for chain tensioning of the drive chain. I want to ride this think sometime this coming week.

Can't wait!!!

ricland

Jul 27, 2008
I don't think it was hot. The guy had his whole family out there and a lot of other bicycle gear. Don't think it was his, think it might have been his son's or something.

He wanted $95. Not knowing anything about the bike I offerred $75 and he took it.

When I checked it out on the internet I was floored. I have never owed a bike over $400 before this.

ric

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
$200?

You paid too much!

I got a Gary Fisher Ziggurat at a garage sale for $75!

Gary Fisher Ziggurat Reviews
ricland
Good for you! That's a heck of a score.

But, $200 was a great deal for this bike.. It's a mid/late 90's bike that was in perfect condition other than needing a new tube in the front tire. It also had a lot of upgrades the previous owner did to it. Its all about locality as well. I couldnt find a Gary Fisher MTB less than $300 before I found this one. Its a nicer bike than anything else I've ever owned, so I'm happy with it. I dropped my vintage RS Judy DH 96 fork on this Fisher and its like it was made for the bike..

Last edited:

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Nice work! What will the final drive be connected to on the rear wheel?
The drive will run through the front crank sprocket & freewheel that will be installed there. So, the final drive will be through the original bicycle chain back through the derailleur and 9 speed cassette, enabling a bike engine with a shifter setup for different gears. :)

This shifter setup completely gets rid of the iffy original drive sprocket on the left of the rear wheel.

Last edited:

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
I think I'll install a left side drive before I do the shift kit just so I can say I did it. Now that I have a number of options I may as well use them. I do think the shift kit will be a real boon to extending travel. I was mapping a ride to Bisbee to see Spooky Tooths operation today. I think Hayden goes south to Benson as a dirt road. Benson is close to Bisbee so I may have a new adventure being cooked up. Anybody in Arizona know that road? Well anyhow the sick Bike Parts shift kit makes that trip pretty do-able.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Lenny, I'll be up for that once my bike is done and well tested. That'll be a fun ride!!! I think it could be done in a very long day. On a dirt road (depending on condition of course), we could really open up the bikes and cruise faster than on the streets.

update on my build today... I was so worn out from putting the mounts together yesterday that I took the day off. I'll see if I can get the new fuel tank built tommorrow, but I'm going to scan in some sketches of what I have planned and will get those posted up tonight.

Last edited:

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Here is my design for a classic behind-the-seat fuel tank, as I really dont like the supplied HT tanks. This tank can be built for around $40 the way i have done it. I have enough materials to build two of them. These can be built in ANY diameter and any length. I'll be welding one of them up tommorrow evening:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
datz, you have all the cool toys, I'm so jealous. I'd love to be able to take on a project like this. I don't even have a welder right now :( Seriously though, you have a plasma cutter. How cool :)

This project is turning out pretty nice. I like the mounts you made, though I'm wondering if they even HAVE to be welded, for those out there that might want to make them but don't have access to a welder....

I like the gas tank design, can't wait to see it put together. Keep up the good work.

The drive will run through the front crank sprocket & freewheel that will be installed there. So, the final drive will be through the original bicycle chain back through the derailleur and 9 speed cassette, enabling a bike engine with a shifter setup for different gears. :)

This shifter setup completely gets rid of the iffy original drive sprocket on the left of the rear wheel.

So the engine replaces the cranks? Do you plan to just put pegs on it?