Say Hello to Storm

GoldenMotor.com

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Some people like to gamble and are prepared to win or lose. If it was a sure thing? Why charge more for insurance? I don't care what anybody say's this is a total gamble so be prepared to lose.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Some people like to gamble and are prepared to win or lose. If it was a sure thing? Why charge more for insurance? I don't care what anybody say's this is a total gamble so be prepared to lose.
how does the saying go? You can't win if you don't play.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I'm sure this will put a lot of people on an electric bike that wouldn't normally be there. When the battery or motors dies, some of the bikes will be in the garage gathering dust and some will have the battery or motor replaced.

If the Sonders bike is offered with bigger and more powerful motors and stronger batteries current owners will just trade up over time. My bet is that we will see a lot of competitors watching very closely to see what happens and I'd guarantee there are copy cat bikes on the drawing boards of a lot of companies at this very moment just waiting to cash in on the now obvious need for an inexpensive electric bike.

On the other hand I would have loved to have been sitting in Sonders office as they watched the funding go through the roof and the emails, faxes and phone calls to suppliers and shippers as they saw what they had going.

Steve.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Keep in mind that they're selling these bikes world wide, and in many country's even 350w is illegal. I've read a lot of good reports about these little 8Fun geared motors. They're expected to last 5000 miles before the first servicing, which for a lot of people would be a lifetime.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
We are lucky here in the U.S. and Canada. You have 750W and we have 500W. So many other countries are tied to 250W and you have to pedal to make the engine work. I would imagine a large part of their business is going to be North America since so much of the world has been cut off from this bike unless they go to a 250W and pedlac.

When I say that there are other companies watching this they are looking at the North American market. There is a minimum of government red tape here unlike Europe and other countries
Once people get a sense of the joy of electric bikes they will want bigger and better and I'm sure that the Sonders company will provide.

Steve.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
In my local situation here in New Zealand 250watt is supposed to be the max. On the other hand though I've never been stopped by any of the Police guys and gals around our little township and asked any questions about the power rating of any of the e-trikes I've built so far. The Police attitude seems to be that if you are sensible and are riding according to the traffic regulations they aren't interested in pulling you over.

But if I did a 'Back to the Future' blaze through town on my dear old Hercules trike that would be another thing entirely ;)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
In my local situation here in New Zealand 250watt is supposed to be the max. On the other hand though I've never been stopped by any of the Police guys and gals around our little township and asked any questions about the power rating of any of the e-trikes I've built so far. The Police attitude seems to be that if you are sensible and are riding according to the traffic regulations they aren't interested in pulling you over.

But if I did a 'Back to the Future' blaze through town on my dear old Hercules trike that would be another thing entirely ;)

That seems like a kind of universal, and reasonable policy, because that's exactly the way the police handle eBikes here in Dallas, and even regular China Girl bikes too for that matter.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
A chap I know bought a new electric bike from an electric bike shop that was closing up here in Vancouver. He bought it at a fire sale price with the understanding that the battery may not be any good since it was a floor model and the battery hadn't been charged in a very long time.

The battery charged right up and the 350W motor gets him around very well with him pedaling when he want to. He travels in his motor home a lot and it's perfect to get around with. He says he has to charge the batter fairly often though because when he rides around the RV park he can't go a block without someone wanting to try it.

I told him to print out flyers from the Sonders Storm ad because it would be the perfect bike for riding the desert roads. Wide tires for the sand and they can get exercise as well while they do it.

Steve.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The rolling resistance of properly inflated tires on motorized bikes is effectively irrelevant, regardless of width...

Wider isn't worse;

Speed reduces rolling resistance on pavement;

There are far more profound forces to contend with;
BA, I've been posting your graphs around, and the potential Storm owners are very interested in them.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
BA, I've been posting your graphs around, and the potential Storm owners are very interested in them.
I bet lol, again given the reactions I get from HPV roadies with even just my 2.125s :p

All the info is out there with jus' a bit of searching, those aren't my graphs ofc - I grabbed those in particular as they're straight to the point, which seems somewhat uncommon with bicycle tires in particular. It's far too easy to get lost in the deluge of detail, much of which is highly conditional and not really relevant for the majority of riders.

"and let the hairsplitting begin!"

Note how I very carefully phrased this lol: "rolling resistance of properly inflated tires on motorized bikes is effectively irrelevant"

Doubtlessly there's be debates & disagreement and rightfully so, there'll be even valid counter-points brought up like the weight & profile of a larger tire including rim, knobby vs slick, compound & etc.

...but we're not only motorized, we aren't all exactly the same & riding on a treadmill in a hermetically sealed laboratory so it's highly unlikely these differences are noticeable. While arguable, in the end it's likely we're debating the difference of perhaps a few hundred yards in range, a fraction of a mile an hour. Sure, these things add up but we shouldn't disregard other aspects of preformance for such minor considerations - like rider environment & satisfaction.

The roads & shoulders I ride are oft paved in name only, I don't feel a need to convert to a fatbike but I'm uneasy with the thought of putting 20mm roadbike tires through that kind of abuse, pretty sure I don't wanna ride that ride as mine's jouncy enough as it is lol - but even were I mistaken, I just like my 2.125s & that's a preformance aspect oft forgotten in such discussions.

A great example of relevance heh: http://youtu.be/FkmCLOjk2h8

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Looks like the manufacturing of the sonders ebike is in full effect. If you click on the indegogo web page for the ebike. It has mfg. updates with picts.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Finally got some good news to report/ The Storm's are coming. This one is Numero Uno. Behind it is a black one. And farther back is another yellow one.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm liking the nice wide stays. The motor is a bafang / 8Fun 350w

Nice Grips

This is the throttle assembly. I've heard reported it's the same as comes on Pedego, but I don't know for sure.