My first build: 1912 Indian

GoldenMotor.com

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I really like it. Playing Devil's Advocate now. What will occur if pray tell, the front spring suddenly breaks? Just want to see if you have a back up plan like a bump stop of some sorts to keep the front link from allowing the front tire to lock up on the steering tube. An endo would really suck. Awesome bike!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
CF if you look close the spring pulls down and axel is behind the forks, if it broke the axel would come up and hit the fork and stop before hitting the top...........Curt

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
Curtis, you are exactly right! The axel nuts will stop on the forks well before the tire touches the down tube. Cobra, you are right; endos are no fun!

butchl

Sep 30, 2008
Garden City, MI
One question: Where did you get those rear bolts that allow you to tighten up the rear wheel? The ones that look like washers with threads welded on and the little caps that go over the ends of the frame? Cant' find them anywhere. Thanks Butch 27

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish

esyvertson

Jan 16, 2013
Minneapolis
Yes the forks were designed to go both ways so if I race it I can pull the pivots off, but this will be a daily driver like Cobrafreak's. I am fabbing pivots with brass bushings for heavy use. I have a lifan 200cc motor with a 5 speed gearbox to go in it. It weighs about 60 lbs and is rated at 16.5hp. The engine spocket will go to a jackshaft behind the seat post with a second sprocket to the wheel. This is similar to the setup on the original.
[/IMG]
Really great build with some interesting solutions. I'm especially interested in your upside down jackshaft set up. Can you share more details about the jackshaft components and how you've assembled them? Thanks!

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
I've got a set of aluminum double wall wheels with s/s 12 gage spokes in a cross 4 pattern, Tophat and #40 sprocket with brake disk. front has Sturmey Archer X-FD front brake. I was going to use these with Fat Franks on my first build but went with motorcycle hubs instead.
They are for sale. If anyone is looking for a nice set like this, ding me!

Verious pictures of them can be seen up to page 12 on this thread before I switched to the motorcycle hubs and steel rims

Last edited:

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
Esyvertson, The jackshaft setup was taken directly from the original Indian design. A similar system was also used on BSA, Triumph and Harley Davidson up to the late 1950s. The Jackshaft slides forward and back in bolt track, allowing me to adjust the primary chain when it goes slack.

To everyone else: sorry to be gone so long. The bike has been lined up awaiting its turn to be torn down and painted. I've had a few British bike projects land in my lap as well as home remodel projects.

I hope to have it painted, wired and assembled by Fall. I'll be back with pictures!

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan
Any updates for this project? I've been following this with great interest. I've been planning for a similiar build, and planned on using the same 200cc Lifan. How do you like it? Have you had the bike up to speed before it was disassembled for paint?

Also, what is your wheelbase, and how did you decide on it?

Sorry for the barage of questions, but I'm very exicited to see how this turns out!!

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
I've been building a 650 Triumph Bobber that is nearly finished and then the 1912 Indian is back on the lift to complete.

The wheel base is based on the original which is about 55 inches. I used a side on photo of an original and overlaid it in a 3D program to get the dimensions and geometry based around known wheel size, which I further cross referenced against the geometry of a similar bike.

I have had it up to 40mph and it handles very well. I have to change the bearings in the jack-shaft as they pivot in their races (I did not know that when I bought them). Then I would feel comfortable running it up to 60mph. I plan on changing the tires to ones with a road speed rating rather than the bicycle tires that are on it now.

If you need any measurements let me know as soon I will be back on this build to finish and paint it.

Bugthunder

Nov 6, 2011
Florida
It has been a while...
I am working on a 12'x8' shed at the moment, which will double as a paint booth. I built a temporary paint booth from plastic sheet and PVC pipe that worked perfect for two BSAs that I painted but set up and break down were a pain. I used a two part, single stage automotive paint for that job and the finished product was beautiful.

As soon as I am finished I will set up the inside of the shed with plastic and filtration vents and paint the bike along with tins for two Triumph projects I am finishing.

After I complete the Indian I plan on doing a similar build with a Triumph 650 pre-unit. I will lace 23" rims to old triumph hubs and build the tins for it. I am thinking on Buying a Kiwi leaf spring front end as this thing will be going highway speeds and the most dangerous place to make any mistakes is from the neck welds forward. These are things you think about when you cross 50 mph.

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan
Understandable about not finishing it yet....sounds like you have quite a few projects your handling right now. I just purchased the same Lifan 200cc this week for my own boardtrack style bike. I've found your project (as well as many others on the forum) to be very inspiring/motivating. Mine won't be quite as aesthetically correct as yours (more in the style of a Sportsman Bonneville) but I will have a blast doing it. Thanks for responding; I will keep an eye on your build!

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Regarding covering the seat with leather, it can be done very easily and economically. Ebay has leather scrap pieces for as low as $4. Look for 2.5oz upholstery leather. It stretches and molds well especially if wet first. I just covered an early Mesinger seat for about 10 Bucks leather and closed cell foam.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
It has been a while...
I am working on a 12'x8' shed at the moment, which will double as a paint booth. I built a temporary paint booth from plastic sheet and PVC pipe that worked perfect for two BSAs that I painted but set up and break down were a pain. I used a two part, single stage automotive paint for that job and the finished product was beautiful.

As soon as I am finished I will set up the inside of the shed with plastic and filtration vents and paint the bike along with tins for two Triumph projects I am finishing.

After I complete the Indian I plan on doing a similar build with a Triumph 650 pre-unit. I will lace 23" rims to old triumph hubs and build the tins for it. I am thinking on Buying a Kiwi leaf spring front end as this thing will be going highway speeds and the most dangerous place to make any mistakes is from the neck welds forward. These are things you think about when you cross 50 mph.
I for one would like to see pics of your big boy bikes when you’re ready...!

-Kirk