29" beach cruiser at w mart

GoldenMotor.com

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Scotto,
Get me a link for those adapter plates, the only thing is the rim doesn't look like it has the proper bearing surface for Vbrakes, I'm sure they would work if the mount is stiff enough. I guess i could always carry a 3' stick as an E-brake, preferably to be used in the back wheel LOL!

Mac

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here ya go Mac....V-Brake Plate by MISC

and these brakes will work fine....Tektro V-Brake & Lever Kit by TEKTRO

scotto-

dnut

Scotto,
Get me a link for those adapter plates, the only thing is the rim doesn't look like it has the proper bearing surface for Vbrakes, I'm sure they would work if the mount is stiff enough. I guess i could always carry a 3' stick as an E-brake, preferably to be used in the back wheel LOL!

Mac

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
So as I understand it, the adapter plate is so you don't have to weld the lug's to the frame? welding shouldn't be a problem, just need to find out alloy and T factor. Thanks for the link!

Mac

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I looked at this bike the other night while at Walmarts and have to say it was the best fitting bike I've sat on in my entire life (I'm 6'4" 240lbs and have owned probably a dozen bikes so far). If I can motorize this "on the cheap" then I'll go buy one today. Besides the fit, I like the overall looks of the bike and it seems fairly heavily built (incidentally the frame has a lifetime warranty). What I don't like is that it only has a coaster brake and some of the details are pretty lame (like that white chain which I will replace as soon as I buy the bike).

A few of you guys have already started working on this bike so I'm hoping you can give me a thumbs up or down on how easy / cheap this might be for my first build? My plan would be to add a front v-brake, a "standard" 66cc engine kit, and probably need some universal mounts / large U-bolts. I'm guessing total budget to be around $350. Am I missing anything?

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Anyone know what size stem this bike has? If you wanted to change out the front forks, would you need a 1" or 1 1/8th? Metric? I like what I'm hearing but just have a few questions.

thanks!

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
@HammondEgger - Could you elaborate please? I know the sprocket and mount that comes with the kit won't work but I'm having a hard time finding solutions so haven't any idea the costs involved.

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I'm having a hard time finding solutions
So am I. The only solution I see is drilling a new bolt pattern in the sprocket and making some new inside clamps to match and trying to find something to make a new rag out of.....or maybe just use six bolts instead of nine.

Last edited:

rat racer

Apr 20, 2011
florence,az
I have been riding and racing a wal-mart frame for two years. the only things that have broken are the crappy china engine parts. that said I have to admit i am on my second crappy china engine with no worrys. the frame is still solid. Just consider this, after you replace the forks hubs spokes rims tires all the bearings seat and seat post most of the hardware the pedal crank and sprockets .you basicaly have an $800.00 bicycle anyway.just depends on weather you like to tinker with it or let someone else do the cursing sweating and nashing of teeth.

Last edited:

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
So am I. The only solution I see is drilling a new bolt pattern in the sprocket and making some new inside clamps to match and trying to find something to make a new rag out of.
So I guess this sprocket adapter won't work? SPROCKET ADAPTER Kinda pricey, but looks like a very nice solution. Wonder if there's some sort of DIY solution that might be made similar to it.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
This will probably blow up your budget a bit, but WalMart also has a 29 in. Wheel Mountain bike Front suspension Hardtail that sells for $199.99 . This bike's wheelset is 36 spoke, it comes with a suspension fork with a disc brake, and has a rear V-brake. Buying this second bike for the parts to add to the cruiser would be relatively inexpensive way to get most of the parts you would need to motorize the criuser? The area that would require the most effort wound be the rear wheel spacing. The Mountain bike rear wheel will be 135mm wide and will need to be narrowed down to approx 120mm or the frame of the cruiser will need to be spread wider. Or maybe a little of both, a little on the wheel and a little on the frame? You would still need to get one of the v-brake adapters for the rear but the second bike will be able to donate the brake itself and the brake levers etc. Just some thoughts.

ocscully

Last edited:

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
@ocscully - I saw your post regarding this idea on the other thread about the 29" mountain bike. Although I can't afford to buy both, I'm considering getting that bike instead but I'm waiting to see how that thread turns out before spending the dough.

I rather like this bike, though, and I'm not against drilling more holes in the sprocket if that's what it takes. My neighbor is a custom motorcycle builder by trade, so I may get his input on this.

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
ocsully.....that occured to me and I can't believe I'm actually thinking about it. laff

Kahuna......don't know if you noticed it but I edited my post. You can use six of the bolt holes in the nine hole sprocket. I think I'm going to try that.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Anyone know what size stem this bike has? If you wanted to change out the front forks, would you need a 1" or 1 1/8th? Metric? I like what I'm hearing but just have a few questions.

thanks!
I believe it's 1 1/8" as all Kent cruisers have. You can also adapt it to 1 1/4" as it has an oversized head tube with a reduced 1 1/8" headset installed.

And yes Kahuna, the adapters and v-brakes work with the stock alloy wheels.

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
This will probably blow up your budget a bit, but WalMart also has a 29 in. Wheel Mountain bike Front suspension Hardtail that sells for $199.99 . This bike's wheelset is 36 spoke, it comes with a suspension fork with a disc brake, and has a rear V-brake. Buying this second bike for the parts to add to the cruiser would be relatively inexpensive way to get most of the parts you would need to motorize the criuser? The area that would require the most effort wound be the rear wheel spacing. The Mountain bike rear wheel will be 135mm wide and will need to be narrowed down to approx 120mm or the frame of the cruiser will need to be spread wider. Or maybe a little of both, a little on the wheel and a little on the frame? You would still need to get one of the v-brake adapters for the rear but the second bike will be able to donate the brake itself and the brake levers etc. Just some thoughts.

ocscully
How about lacing the rear wheel off the mountain bike to a 36 hole coaster brake hub?

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Picked one up at the local WallyMart this afternoon. It was still in the box so I built it myself. Overall, I'd say it's of decent construction: nice headset, nice cranks, very nice seat and post. I wasn't impressed with the fenders and some of the other components. Gonna give it a quick spin tomorrow to see how it feels. I figure that if I end up not liking it or if the conversion will cost too much, then I can always return it. But I do like the look of the bike so I'm hoping it works out.

Quick question that is sort of off topic: what grease can I use for the bearings? I have white lithium and "super lube" (a marine teflon grease). Can I use either of these?