upgrade for stock 415 chain?

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
after all my posts helping others, it's finally time for me to ask for some help.

i've got the stock 415 chain and i want something better. i hate the way the rollers are loose and poorly fitted, the slack and stretch, and just the general lousy quality of it. my chain snapped the other day, without snagging on anything, it just ripped apart. i put another chain on, the same kind from my old bike, because my snapped chain sat in the street getting run over by 20 cars before i could retrieve it, and it was all scarred up.

the chain i put on, while the same size, fits differently. there's more slack, which i could attribute to stretch, but more likely, just bad workmanship.

i've read about upgrades in other posts, but i can't find them now.

i notice the 415 has slack on the drive sprocket (engine) so a slightly skinnier one would work, but not a bicycle one.

i plan on upgrading to steel motorcycle sprockets, because i don't like the way the aluminum aftermarket ones get chewed up too quickly. the forces of my motor running at top speed all day long are too much for soft aluminum. plus, one derailment and the teeth get eaten. already destroyed a 28 tooth because of that.

so i'm looking for suggestions from people who've upgraded to a KMC or something, where you got it, how it fits, and any other pros and cons.

thanks.

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
KMC K910 is the same size as 415 kit chain
and is very high quality chain

Only comes with 98 links though.....

biken stins

Jul 11, 2008
415HD= heavy duty chain. If you are changing sprockets check your pitch and width. Not sure how much of a problem it is when sprockets are different p&w but have to think there is some.
How did you like the 28T ?

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I second the #41 roller chain. My original chain broke about 1 month into my riding career. I use the industrial chain now. Much stronger and better made. Tractor Supply carries it if there is one near you. You might also try the big box home supply stores like Home Depot or Lowe's.

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
# 41 chain from Grainger (i'm sure there's one near you they have store all over) like 30 bucks for 10 ft of chain
$13 at Northern tool..

Drive Chain #41 | Chains + Sprockets | Northern Tool + Equipment

Of course, if you do a google search for 415 chain the sky is the limit on quality. You can go from this basic KTM replacement chain:

http://www.ktm-parts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=45110165104

All the way up to:

RK Heavy-Duty GB 415 HR (Gold Color) Chain - Chains - Solo Moto Parts

And everything in between.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The 41 is a bit beefier in width and construction, but TBH I think it crazy overkill. If ya could find a higher quality 415 that'd be the way to go I think, particularly if yer tight on clearances. It's the poor quality of the kit supplied ones that's a problem, I'm pretty sure even a good BMX chain would be more than strong enough - lookit alla shiftkits out there ;)

Also I believe 415 = metric and 41 = standard.

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
I think that the #41 is the way to go. It's a lot more durable, seems to ride on the sprocket smoother, fits better, and you get alot more chain for the money. In the pics below, you can see the diff. the one on the left is the 415 from dax and on the right is #41 from TSC.
This is about how much chain you get from the kit (415)
And this is how much chain you get at TSC for about the same price

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
The 41 is a bit beefier in width and construction, but TBH I think it crazy overkill. If ya could find a higher quality 415 that'd be the way to go I think, particularly if yer tight on clearances. It's the poor quality of the kit supplied ones that's a problem, I'm pretty sure even a good BMX chain would be more than strong enough - lookit alla shiftkits out there ;)

Also I believe 415 = metric and 41 = standard.
I agree with Barely Awake that the #41 chain is too wide and it really doesn't
fit properly on the sprockets. I know a lot of bikers may disagree with me on this, but both chain width and chain pitch need to match your sprockets for proper operation. The #41 chain (available at Lowe's also) will cause excessive wear to your sprockets from constant sloppy side play of the links on the sprocket teeth. If width didn't matter, why do they make so many chain sizes then? It's always best to match the chain size to the sprockets and simply buy a higher quality chain from one of our Vendors.

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
The wider chain (41) can make up for a slight difference in the engine and rear sprocket not being in perfect alignment. Since it is wider, it will not have a tendency to derail from the sprocket not being in perfect alignment unlike the stock 415 chain that is narrower, it will derail much easier if the sprocket is not aligned. I had the same problem with my 415 chain, it literally shatered while riding at about 15mph. I have since changed to 41 chain from tractor supply and it runs much smoother now. Hope this info can help you out.

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
The wider chain (41) can make up for a slight difference in the engine and rear sprocket not being in perfect alignment. Since it is wider, it will not have a tendency to derail from the sprocket not being in perfect alignment unlike the stock 415 chain that is narrower, it will derail much easier if the sprocket is not aligned. I had the same problem with my 415 chain, it literally shatered while riding at about 15mph. I have since changed to 41 chain from tractor supply and it runs much smoother now. Hope this info can help you out.
The correct answer, is to align the sprockets the way they should be. All the #41 chain did was allow for a distorted alignment which puts more drag and pressure on the chains side plates and undue wear on one side of each sprocket. I understand how difficult it is to get them lined up, but it's well worth it for the benefits. You should experience drag racing and see how important chain alignment is when your haulin' a** at 120+ mph!

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
I was looking for more information on this bicycle chain but I can't find nay reviews or anything else about it online: Wippermann BMX 1G8 Chain

The website says it's the strongest 1/2" x 1/8" bike chain on the market. It would have to be pretty darn indestructible to be worth $70 for 96 links!!

Jul 5, 2010
West Coast
I think that the #41 is the way to go. It's a lot more durable, seems to ride on the sprocket smoother, fits better, and you get alot more chain for the money. In the pics below, you can see the diff. the one on the left is the 415 from dax and on the right is #41 from TSC.
This is about how much chain you get from the kit (415)
And this is how much chain you get at TSC for about the same price
Was a the bike shop today and ordered a KMC 415H chain in silver to match my silver KMC 410 BMX chain. Can you say sweet matching chains!dnut