yodabobs build

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I went with a down pipe for the look, and for the life of me I don't how you guys are riding with those up sweep pipes under your leg and the family jewels.
I ride commando so to speak. Just jeans. A habit from years of peddling in plain O jean pants. The seams from boxers wading up etc make my rides way too uncomfortable. I finally did it! Did not know that my crotch was ripped and it scared the heck outta me good too. Nutten happened. lol. There not bad!

Here was a short review on this set up.... http://motorbicycling.com/f23/new-scsw-tuned-pipes-sale-189.html

The hardest part of these builds to me is the perfect pipe. To get a rightly tuned pipe and put it where a guy wants it is a real booger I feel ya.

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
OH NO! dude.... header wrap, the Harley guys have used it for years.
In a 2 stroke tuned pipe application it serves to keep heat in the pipe(making more power) and off your junk and it acts as a sound damper.
For $30 or $40 bucks? its worth every penny...
How much is your junk worth?
lol
BBB

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
OH NO! dude.... header wrap, the Harley guys have used it for years.
In a 2 stroke tuned pipe application it serves to keep heat in the pipe(making more power) and off your junk and it acts as a sound damper.
For $30 or $40 bucks? its worth every penny...
How much is your junk worth?
lol
BBB
That sounds like a good point on the wrap deadening , insulating and making things more quiet. The wrap would not look that pretty on my build to me tho.
I can ride with a Irish Kilt on a July day with this particular pipe for the most part. Not my preferd attire. With pants on absolutely safe beyond a doubt. I can lay my hand on the pipe any ol time I want to where it comes to my leg and its just a tad warm that's it.

I raced a bike (with a SCSW Pipe) this weekend in shorts in high 80's degree weather and my thigh was constantly rubbing against the pipe & no burns.

Last edited:

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
That sounds like a good point on the wrap deadening , insulating and making things more quiet. The wrap would not look that pretty on my build to me tho.
I can ride with a Irish Kilt on a July day with this particular pipe for the most part. Not my preferd attire. With pants on absolutely safe beyond a doubt. I can lay my hand on the pipe any ol time I want to where it comes to my leg and its just a tad warm that's it.
I thought about the aesthetic aspect of the wrap... your right its not that nice looking. Sound is a big deal around here, the scream of a high performance 2 stroke seems to irritate people.
Possible solution?
Why not build the pipe with a removable heat shield, and reinstall the heat shield OVER the wrap?

I think high pipes are popular due to ease of exhaust routing and to keep the pipe out of harms way... Running a $70+ pipe low, in the reach of road obstacles, its more prone to crash damage, hitting a low mount pipe wrong could bust off an exhaust stud-
(with the castings on a china doll? it probably will, Morini exhaust ports are much stronger)

I would like to build a pipe that exited the engine wrapped around the down tube , with the expansion chamber hugging the down tube and crank shell, then turning back and up with the tail pipe and muffler/baffle further back, out of the peddle arch,BUT... theres that low mount vulnerability thing again, as well as the pipe its self not having the proper volume to let the gasses expand.
I guess in the end,mechanical ability, personal taste, money and time dictate what pipe you use.
Yours looks great...

In these parts, we have quite a few stainless steel fabricating shops that specialize in making stainless steel window gates railings and fences.
If one were to purchase some stainless tube bends, and a cheap 110v tig welder then you could cut and fit bends to fabricate a custom pipe, tack welding as you go
(as you probably did) then once your happy with it you remove it and finish all the welds, that's very time consuming and labor intensive.
Unless you really need a custom pipe its much easier to purchase a pipe close to what you want and modifie it to suit.

What we REALLY NEED? A cool looking flexible head pipe that doesn't look like a natural gas line for a kitchen stove.
Hmmmm...
Food for thought.
BBB

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Here is a odd thought I think about often. The over the top routing prolly oils the exhaust port better? Which seams to be the first thing that burns wears out on a two smoke. Oil naturally perhaps gravitating and condensing here?

yodabob

Jun 29, 2008
North Wales PA
Removed the silencer and put a tecnagas silencer on. What a world of difference in the noise level. Noticed a lot of resonate sound from the front of pipe when riding and if I put my boot against it it would quite down considerable. Going to wrap pipe with heat wrap that I've used on all my other builds and see how it sounds.Also following Goat Herders post on carb set up that I need to get into.
http://motorbicycling.com/f47/dave-goat-you-dialed-29181.html

Street legal in PA
YouTube - Motorized bike street legal in PA 2

Attachments

yodabob

Jun 29, 2008
North Wales PA
Last edited:

yodabob

Jun 29, 2008
North Wales PA
Enjoyed talking and getting the pleasure of meeting some of you. Built three different motor builds and went through pain stacking engineering and paper process of getting my first build legalized in PA. Showed all the bikes in a special interest category in motorcycle shows in my area over the past three years to benefit the Children's Network. Found a Vespa style scooter that I'll be customizing to help with the charity fund raiser in the up and coming year. So for the next year or so I'll be out of the motorized bike circuit. Must say though when I come back I will be putting the China girl engine back on. Did have the most enjoyment with that motor believe it or not.
A special shot out to Jay and Bonnie for their hospitality in the past.

Street legal in PA
motorized bike street legal in PA - YouTube
Motorized bike street legal in PA 2 - YouTube

Attachments

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Wow did I read that right? You got more enjoyment from a China than the Morini? Let me know because Ill order 2 new Chinas of your choice, in trade for that Morini. I had the exact opposite experience with my bikes.
The inability to stay with the pack alone (they ride fast on the SD group rides) was enough to scrap let alone the uncanny ability to self destruct when you need it the most.

Last edited: