WW or chainsaw?

GoldenMotor.com

aiyasu

Sep 29, 2008
Usa Rome, Georgia
I am new to this and i was wondering which would be better should i go with a chainsaw or just the WW?
I know through out this awesome forum it tell of the pros and cons of each but i dont really have the time due to work and then more work, but i would much appreciate any info that would be given or at least a link to the info i am searching for.........oh and thanks in advance! ^_^

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I"ve yet to try a chainsaw but the WW works well for me. I haul a$$ all over my town- getting around at a zippy 18 to 21 mph on a heavy steel frame bike with my fat butt on it. I've got a 31cc ryobi with a 1.5inch drive wheel. Deacon's built a couple and has a thread all about it...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well now I have two chainsaw bikes.... one ww and one china girl bike...

I would rather ride one of the bikes with either the ww or the chainsaw.

The performance difference between the 33cc chainsaw and the 31cc ww is minimal to non existent. The chainsaw feels and sounds a little more substantial but performance wise I can't tell much difference/

The 42cc chainsaw bike has a little more guts but it is also a bit of overkill. I live in a pretty hilly area and the ww and the 33cc will pull the hills. The speed drops off but usually not enough for me to be able to pedal the bike. The 42cc the drop off is less but still noticeable. By the way the same is true of the china bike kit.

The china kit has more speed and pulls the hills better but the speed still drops off on steep hills. The difference is more in the drive than the engine size I think. The friction drive i use has it's limitations.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have recently been assessing my alternate engine bikes. I did not consider my first half dozen weed whackers when reviewed my experiences. I had no idea what I was doing so I trashed perfectly good engines. I had to learn from my mistakes to realize what was okay and what wasn't.

So here is my analysis, for what it is worth.

The WW engine is cheap plentiful and light weight. Light weight makes it easy to mount and easy to maneuver the bike when it is being moved about for storage. Cheap and plentiful is a big plus because once you get your fame setup it is just a matter of changing the engines when one goes bad. I have not had one seize or not start since I found out what the heck I was doing. I have had three cases break. I have since come to the conclusion that I should drill out the screws and put in 1/4 bolts with thread lock and lock washers. When they get loose and vibrate you are setting yourself up for failure.

Chainsaw motors are less plentiful but still there are a lot of them on ebay. Since I do not care much about the blade or clutch the ones I am interested in are not too expensive. I bought on supposedly reconditioned for fifty bucks and one off ebay with no chain or bar for 35 bucks delivered. Both have been excellent engines. I think the cases make them better candidates for bicycle engines. They seem to be hardier.

The 33cc is plenty big enough for me but the 42 is nice as well. I do only friction drive so other people will have different opinions I am sure.

So while both have their advantages, I am leaning toward chainsaws now.

aiyasu

Sep 29, 2008
Usa Rome, Georgia
Thank you for the advice, i went with the ww and it gets the job done.It it a 26cc ww i have tp peddle going up the long hills but other than that it is good, i dont know the MPG yet but it does stay at a steady 20 to 25 MPH on flats. It is a friction drive that i mounted on the front tire, i still have to tweek it till it is right, but it does run and it runs good. I will have pics up soon. Thx Deacon for the advice, and i also thank the forum it has been a great help.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
For my part you are more than welcome. The 25cc is about right for the front wheel. You are getting good speed with that engine. What are you using as a drive wheel.

aiyasu

Sep 29, 2008
Usa Rome, Georgia
So far it is doing pretty good i have to peddle a bit going up hills but when i started i never had the intention of riding with the motor only so as far as i am concerned it is perfect.