wooooo.... watch yer pant legs

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I've seen that vid before, so many times I may have it memorized by now. And I adore the snarling cacophony of an exhaust note that it has.
But, no.
You cannot wear shorts on that.
Flame retardant pants and knee-high biker boots maybe. Jeans, and riding bow-legged at the least. Certainly no combustible man-made fibers that will melt onto you and turn you into a bike-riding version of cherries jubilee.
The man who can ride it will look cool as the bike screams by, belching fire and smoke. But nobody looks cool with their pants on fire, and that's no lie.

--

Aug 18, 2014
...& here I thought just chainring chafe was bad lol;

"How'd ya know I was a biker? ...oh, right..." :p
It's bad enough to have laces of Converse Chuck Taylor wrapped in pedals along with chain and sprocket.. ya couldn't do much, but coast to stop and fall over. It's like shoe lace tied together prank.. rotfl
I end up wearing penny loafers instead..

--

Aug 18, 2014
I've seen that vid before, so many times I may have it memorized by now. And I adore the snarling cacophony of an exhaust note that it has.
But, no.
You cannot wear shorts on that.
Flame retardant pants and knee-high biker boots maybe. Jeans, and riding bow-legged at the least. Certainly no combustible man-made fibers that will melt onto you and turn you into a bike-riding version of cherries jubilee.
The man who can ride it will look cool as the bike screams by, belching fire and smoke. But nobody looks cool with their pants on fire, and that's no lie.
I am surprise that many have seen the video many of times.. I prolly watched it more than dozen times before posting on here..
I just like watching and listening to it with volume turned up..
It something about valves and ignition timing that get me.. just love old engines...
I could imagine at higher rpm during heat of racing, flames become something like a blow torch..
It's a wonder that polyesters or nylon like clothing weren't common back then..
Think how painful it will be peeling melted plastic out of burn wounds.. Nasty nasty nasty...

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
And that's why I wear thick socks when I ride: so I can tuck my pant cuffs into them. I even tuck my laces into my shoes as deep as I can.
Or, at least I used to do that often. But now (YAY!) I have located my old Chippewa knee-high boots. I wear them for biking whenever I feel up to taking them off with a boot jack later. They're so tough, I wouldn't even worry about wearing them while riding that Indian 8-valve. Come to think of it, that may be what those leather gaiters were for back in the day. Who wanted to arrive at their destination wearing pants which looked like they took a short cut through the dog pound?

--

Aug 18, 2014
And that's why I wear thick socks when I ride: so I can tuck my pant cuffs into them. I even tuck my laces into my shoes as deep as I can.
Or, at least I used to do that often. But now (YAY!) I have located my old Chippewa knee-high boots. I wear them for biking whenever I feel up to taking them off with a boot jack later. They're so tough, I wouldn't even worry about wearing them while riding that Indian 8-valve. Come to think of it, that may be what those leather gaiters were for back in the day. Who wanted to arrive at their destination wearing pants which looked like they took a short cut through the dog pound?
Don't blame ya one bit...
Leather gaiters sure sound awesome.. I think they'll look classy.. I am sure that somebody can make a set from good latigo leather.. A canvas WWI styled gaiters probably fits well..

BTW, I think this is cute.. "Who wanted to arrive at their destination wearing pants which looked like they took a short cut through the dog pound?"

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I did a DIY build and removed the pedals an is for off road only. Since it is only legal with the OHV reg I take to the woods with full riding gear. Tall boots that come up to near knee height can protect quite a bit. Still I put a solid cover over my pulley reduction system that is near my left leg. Its 10 inch diameter spinning at 1000 to 2000 rpm when centrifugal clutch engages and I'm underway. The knee & elbow pads, full torso armor, and of course a helmet complement it. I actually saw some one in the supermarket shopping and carrying a helmet and also had tall boots and knee protection. I suspect it is worn for street riding, but not many riders do that. You see 1200cc bikes being ridden with sandals.

Hope it heals quickly.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It's very strange, there are people who regard safety gear as "uncool", but if you offer to rub their elbows and ankles with an angle grinder, they look at you funny.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Speakin' of "uncool" safety equipment Ludwig - is it as common o'er there for those bicyclists festooned with every bit of safety kit imaginable (helmet, dayglo spandex, reflectors & flags etc.) to omit the one I think most likely to aid avoiding an at-fault accident, a mirror?

Maybe it's just me, mubbe jus' Maine, I unno... but I see it all the time, even got harangued once as I didn't have bright colored clothing by a fella who didn't want a mirror as it was "awkward" o_O

...t'aint half as "awkward" as wobbling into traffic every time ya wanna look behind you, then again who knows lol

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
That's weird. When I was still building my first bike, I bought my mirror and my helmet in the same shopping trip, along with my horn. I planned to have lights and reflectors on the bike as I built it.
Even my kids have helmets, pads, and on their bikes - bells, reflectors, and flashing tail lights (even though they don't ride after dark). I even taught them how to check for loose parts, tire pressure, chain slack, and sufficient brake grip.
Their little friends may not possess all the same safety equipment, but they don't tease my daughters about it. They actually seem to be acting kind of jealous. They know well that I am the one who insists that my daughters wear and use the stuff. So they don't say anything. More often than not, they bring their bikes to me for a tune up. And because I've got a crapload of old bike parts, they also bring me their bike for repair or to make it safe. One girl, Shawna, somehow managed to very slightly "taco" her rear wheel and broke the plastic body of her seat. I trued the wheel and put on another seat. Marcus from across the street just wanted all the loose nuts & Bolts tightened. I've seen how he rides; I'll be doing it again soon, and talking to him about a helmet. And Kaylie (sp?) often hits curbs and knocks her training wheels askew. I think I got 'em now to where they won't budge. And I'm always inflating tires and bending chainguards back into place. And while I do that, I look for loose stuff anyway, just in case. It sure seems like they ride these little "faux BMX" type bikes way harder and more often than I ever remember doing as a kid. And that's saying something.
It's also great when the parents sometimes come by to thank me for doing what they really didn't know how to do, and for making their kids' bikes safer and more usable. But the best part is when the kids hop on with pure joy on their face. They don't always thank me with words, usually just with enjoying how much better their bike is doing. That's a kind of thanks right there, to me anyway.

Last edited:

--

Aug 18, 2014
That's weird. When I was still building my first bike, I bought my mirror and my helmet in the same shopping trip, along with my horn. I planned to have lights and reflectors on the bike as I built it.
Even my kids have helmets, pads, and on their bikes - bells, reflectors, and flashing tail lights (even though they don't ride after dark). I even taught them how to check for loose parts, tire pressure, chain slack, and sufficient brake grip.
Their little friends may not possess all the same safety equipment, but they don't tease my daughters about it. They actually seem to be acting kind of jealous. They know well that I am the one who insists that my daughters wear and use the stuff. So they don't say anything. More often than not, they bring their bikes to me for a tune up. And because I've got a crapload of old bike parts, they also bring me their bike for repair or to make it safe. One girl, Shawna, somehow managed to very slightly "taco" her rear wheel and broke the plastic body of her seat. I trued the wheel and put on another seat. Marcus from across the street just wanted all the loose nuts & Bolts tightened. I've seen how he rides; I'll be doing it again soon, and talking to him about a helmet. And Kaylie (sp?) often hits curbs and knocks her training wheels askew. I think I got 'em now to where they won't budge. And I'm always inflating tires and bending chainguards back into place. And while I do that, I look for loose stuff anyway, just in case. It sure seems like they ride these little "faux BMX" type bikes way harder and more often than I ever remember doing as a kid. And that's saying something.
It's also great when the parents sometimes come by to thank me for doing what they really didn't know how to do, and for making their kids' bikes safer and more usable. But the best part is when the kids hop on with pure joy on their face. They don't always thank me with words, usually just with enjoying how much better their bike is doing. That's a kind of thanks right there, to me anyway.
Allen,

that is great..
I done a few repairs on my kid bikes.. BMX and MTB both get abused one way or other.. Even expensive high tech MTB that I own, which it doesn't get abused, mostly relaxing cruise around the block or two . it sometime needs a little tuning every now and then.. And damn, I hate expensive bikes..
The bike is Giant Boulder SE 21 speeds MTB.. for what it worth, I should've gotten Worksman NB..

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Yeah I just saw that too. Holy smoke, KC, you were chewed on by your own bike. How ya doin' there?
That leg chewing was almost 4 years ago, I'm fine.

It didn't really even hurt or bleed that much or at least I was so pissed off at myself I didn't feel it.

The skin graft guy did a good job, he cut a patch of skin below my navel and grafted it to my leg.
He said it was free a tummy tuck, to me it was just another scar ;-}

I was laid up for a week with this weird sucking thing on my leg.

The graft took great though, it has feeling and grows hair though I would preferred it didn't grow hair considering where the skin came from ;-}

So ya, mind your pant legs and don't fall over ;-}

Last edited: