why does it always take longer

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
When you get to be my age (64) why does every little project take ten times longer than it did when I was forty. I built a shed door today. A half inch piece of plywood with a 1x6 frame to keep it hahingng straight. Thing took eight hours to build, hang, and paint. It also took about half the tools in my shop for some reason. Gone are the days of the simple build.

Oh well.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Don't know, Deac, but if you find out let me know. Took me all day last Saturday to fix a leak in my lawn sprinklers, used tools I haven't used in years, spent half the time looking for them and two trips to the hardware store, (that was okay though cause I rode my MB) By the time I was finished I was bushed then my wife says, "I think there's another leak in the back yard" Guess I know what I'll be doing next weekend. Oh, and I'm 62.
Tom

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well I sat down this morning and figured out what ate up my time yesterday. It was trying to reuse the frame of the old door. If I had spent ten bucks for new lumber to make the frame, It would have gone much faster. Oh well next time I'll know.

In the building trade when I was messin with home improvements they called what I did yesterday dirty work. Clean work would have been to start from scratch and use all new stuff. Dirty work always takes longer and costs more in the end.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
In the movie "The Sunshine Boys" Milton Berle said something like this:

"...but what I lack in quickness, I make up for in slowness..."

Not always the worst thing in the world.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Slow and methodical can be a good thing... Slow and clumsy is irritating. But when I look back on a job and realize I spend all day and got almost nothing done, it is down right embarrassing.