why diesels are awsome

GoldenMotor.com

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
Volkswagen 1-litre car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this is the reason that i love diesel for a car i got my wife a old jetta tdi other that getting 50 mpg no complaints it hauls like a v6 to

but the link is of the newest car that vw is going to relsease its gets about 250mpg it has no side mirrors but cameras instead so that it can be even more aerodynamic just thought i give everyone some food for thought

did i mention that the prius only beats me on city driveing dnut

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
this is the reason semis and tractors and trains are all diesel i made it from the springs to sacramento on 90 bucks of diesel

realy hope they come out with this new car sooner than later would love to see the look on the prius guys face as i fly by them

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I had a friend who owned a diesel Toronado. Rare as hen's teeth, that one. I wouldn't mind owning one meself. But they had a really annoying quirk: my friend said if hers got a little too warm under the hood, it would keep running even after you shut off the "ignition". She said when that happens about the only way you can shut her down is to put a flat board over the throttle-body to suffocate it, or disconnect the fuel line. I remember suggesting plugging the tail pipe. She gave me a look, then said that it was just like a guy to try to solve problems by putting things in holes, and that if I wanted to play with a really, really hot exhaust pipe - that was my business. I think she was just jealous that I thought of it first. ;)

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
My first running car was a '78 Mercedes 240D. It had 220,000 miles and needed a lot of work when it was given to me, but she was great after some TLC.

When that lil 2.4L 4-popper diesel was new, it was rated at 62HP and it weighed about 3200 with me in it.
Mine was a rare (for US market) 4-speed manual, slowed down a lot on hills and whenever you let off the gas lol.
I usually averaged ~35MPG and sold it after I put 35K miles on it. It was going to need major work 4-digit work.

Edit: I'd be proud to cage in something like an early 80's 300TD wagon. Always wished my 240 had a turbo rotfl

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Ive never owned a diesel, nor do i know a lot about them, but i drive a Cat frontend loader at work and thats diesel.....

Anyways.... im wondering if diesels are so good, could they be used on a motorized bike?

Im always on the lookout on EBay for old stationary engines, and i see many old diesel ones, however they look to usually be bigger engines.

Are there diesel engines that would be small and light enough for a motorized bicycle?..... and if so, what are the advantages/disadvantages?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Diesel engines by nature must be heavier to cope with their >18:1 compression, over double a gas engine, and they produce much more NVH as a result.

Combustion in a diesel is much much more violent than a gas engine. It will wreak havoc on 2-wheeled vehicles' frame and wheels and more.
Engine braking is also much more pronounced on a diesel. If you were to suddenly decelerate on a diesel motorcycle, you may lose traction on the rear wheel.
Same goes with all that immense torque you'd have :D

I've said it before and I'll say it again, diesel on a MaB is a pipedream on a MaB. IMHO
To even do it, you'd be making one of the most dangerous impractical bicycles around.

Would make a cool conversation piece at a bike show ofc!

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Perhaps thats why ive never seen a diesel motorcycle.

I figured they must be too heavy, but i didnt know any of that other stuff Aleman so thanks for the headsup..... i hadnt planned on building one but when i read this thread it made me question if you could, doesnt sound like a very good idea...... but would have been nice as i could have filled it up at work :)............ then again we have coal at work so i could always build a steam powered bike if i want free fuel :) LOL

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I owned 2 VW TDis in the past 7 years. In the summer I got 47mph at 80mph commuting from Colorado Springs to Denver each day. I got rid of both of them and now drive a Jeep Libety and my wife drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

The Liberty has a 2.8L turbo charged VM motori that run as new at 100k miles. if I set cruise to 70mph, I can get 31mpg...having a GDE eco tune on the ECU helps a bit too.

The Grand Cherokee has a 3.0 Mercedes turbo charged V6 diesel engine. It is so quiet and refined that most folks don't believe me when I tell them it is a diesel. It has a stage II tune n the ECU and is a rocket and tows a 7000lb triailer up 12,000 foot mountain passes with no problems often passing gassers going up the pass. Oh, did I mention 26mpg on the highway as long as don't get carrie away blasting other cars with this vehicle's awesome acceleration.....I love getting in the right lane and passing all of the slow cars going up over Monument Pass.....she'll easily do 115mph up Monument Pass....I do it regularly.

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I personally liked the Russian tank engine motorcycle.

Roadworthy but not licensed for road use, the 2.30 metres tall, 2.60 metres wide and 5.30 metre long motorbike was built within 5,000 hours of work. The motorcycle is powered by a 3.8 litres (Diesel) engine of a Soviet T-55 tank delivering 800 HP

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Kawasaki made a diesel version of the KLR 650 for the military for a few years. I see them on EBay now and then.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I personally liked the Russian tank engine motorcycle.

Roadworthy but not licensed for road use, the 2.30 metres tall, 2.60 metres wide and 5.30 metre long motorbike was built within 5,000 hours of work. The motorcycle is powered by a 3.8 litres (Diesel) engine of a Soviet T-55 tank delivering 800 HP
That is badass!!!!!!! I love it.... the side car looks like it has a tractor front on it.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
The big stuff sure is fun looking, but just not handy, when in use... Alemon had a good point mentioning deceleration might be interesting, breaking traction.
I've had a flock of diesels, here and there. Like em a lot. Very expensive to repair, when it must be done.