Why buy an electric bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Why would anyone buy an electric bicycle for $1,500-2000 when they could buy a nice store bought gas powered bicycle for around $600 or 700? Or if they felt so inclined they could spend $1,500 and get a really great gas powered bicycle.

Legal issues? That's the only reason I can think of.

Wow how times change. When I started this thread 5 years ago, a lifetime of riding gas bikes told me electric bikes would never be anything I would be interested in. Just one more thing I was totally wrong about.

Now I look at gas bikes the way a LED flashlight looks at a kerosene lamp. Although the technology is new, and not fully developed for many applications, for bicycles it's tomorrow now. I can't think of anything a gas bike does better than an electric bicycle at this point.

I think we've finally reached the tipping point.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Time has changed and the technology gets better every few months. It's just crazy how you can tweak some controllers without a laptop now. Onboard waterproof chargers are available now. 14 KW sinewave controllers are available now and fits on a good bike. Traction control is also available. How crazy is that?!

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
"Thud,

Well said.

'nuff said.

I'm just waiting for them to develop the Dilithium Crystals matrix, so I can use it to have my e-bike travel faster than the speed of light... Then I can REALLY show them "gas guys" a thing or two!" "I'm afraid I have to call this BS. If it's true your bike is the only one in the world. " If your sphincter is tight and your panties are in a wad that has nothing to do with me." Just a few highlights as I reread this informative post again.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
LOL, when I started this thread back 09 there was a member who's user name was SANGESF. He was a big advocate of eBikes. I didn't believe eBikes were worth a crap back then, and I gave him such a hard time I think he quit the forum.

Now people do it to me LOL

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
no doubt E bikes are awesome for a bunch of obvious reasons. However they still seem too expensive for me to buy one or build one just yet. I will eventually have both in the future. The price will comes down as demand increases and no doubt it will. However that said a E bike will bever replace my gas bikes, just give me another choice what to ride where. zpt

60weight

Sep 15, 2011
Dallas
Howdy Zip.
Was thinking this one would look better with a CG....
and make drum brakes outta those big black things...:) Or, have both gas/electric...

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Howdy Zip.
Was thinking this one would look better with a CG....
and make drum brakes outta those big black things...:) Or, have both gas/electric...
Hey 60weight, Yea, They are massive motor hubs. 2 WHEEL DRIVE WOULD BE A TORQUE MONSTER. I'm pretty sure the batteries are totally missing and the person selling it is playing just a wee-BIT ignorant saying the charger is just gone. Certainly a nice CG would look good on there AS WELL would the missing 1200.00 battery pack... and charger...
It is a decent looking bike though....why not install the whole shebang and have a 2 wheel Prius with gas and electric. Lets not forget to install a solar panel canopy as well as a 12 gallon fuel tank, and a big cooler you could almost go coast to coast without stopping. LOL

laff

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Kev, I would of never of guessed the battery is in the hub. One would imagine the batteries are maybe shot from sitting so long without maintenance? Maybe haven't seen a charge since 2009.? Yea like Kev said... keep looking.