which bike would you convert?

GoldenMotor.com

bluesjr

Mar 3, 2010
Ca
I've got a garage full of bikes: road bikes, 3 mixtes, old road frames, one mt. bike. But none seem ideal (aesthetically) to convert to a frame-mounted 2-stroke.

Is this Peugeot single-speed even a candidate? Or should I stick to the mt. bike? Based on prelim measurements, I can fit a 2-stroke kit in either main triangle. I prefer the old Peugeot, but I have not seen a single conversion done on a typical (old) road frame. If you've got links or photos of examples, please enlighten me. Anyway, I'm interested in opinions, pro and con, between these two.

bluesjr

ps. i posted in this sub-forum, because I'm interested in seeing photos of converted road bikes.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
If you are a big guy, use the Specialized because of the sturdier wheels and stronger brakes. It's also the best choice for rough roads.
If you are average sized, the gaelic steed should work fine. The Peugot also has rack mounts on the rear dropouts.
They are both nice steel choices for a motorbike.

hellhammered

Jan 23, 2010
Maine
My opinion is, go with the fat tires. There are many factors to consider, better absorption of bumps, if you go off the shoulder because some moron gets too close, the skinny's will cause a sure wipe out. If you see a cool trail you may want to explore, you'd be able to with the Specialized. My two cents...:)

bluesjr

Mar 3, 2010
Ca
If you are a big guy, use the Specialized because of the sturdier wheels and stronger brakes. It's also the best choice for rough roads.
If you are average sized, the gaelic steed should work fine. The Peugot also has rack mounts on the rear dropouts.
They are both nice steel choices for a motorbike.
Yeah, I was thinking the brakes would a bigger deal on a motorized bike, and those V-brakes on the mt. bike definitely have more stopping power, especially with good pads. If I convert this one, I'll probably replace the bar with something more laid-back.

Fortunately, both frames have rack mount eyelets. I plan on using this as a utility bike also - rack and panniers when I'm off to the store.

I'll post photos eventually, of whichever I convert.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I've decided to abandon the Schwinn Traveler build here for a couple of reasons-

stay clearances are tight- nothing that couldn'tbe overcome, but annoying,
but mostly I found that the short road bike top tube puts the tank in the way of normal pedalling- the whiole hope of the project- so I'm selling this and putting the motor on a Huffy frame I got, and selling the Traveler, which is no match for my Peugeot PX10 regular peddler..

But I'm putting large narrow light wheels on the cruiser bikes- because I want an easy pedal and good rolling for the motor too- not so much for speed, but to less strain it.

The MX bars on the schwinn also make the tank go back another bit, because they protrude in sharp points at the ends, and dent the tank- I just didn't like the feel of the road bike with the motor, the short wheelbase is a bit squirrely, my knees are bowed out to clear the tank, although I could make that better. But I had some snags with a narrow chain and cog before I really got it rolling. And I raced USCF road races for 14 years, so I sorta hoped a road bike would be better with a small 50 cc and with total weight in mind.

The poo poo pipe didn't fit either, so that's it cut, modified with beer can aluminum, and put on the cruiser.

The mountain bikes have verticle dropouts, so I don't like that, but haven't built one up. After a couple of bulds and a year later now, I'm favoring cruiser frames with narrow light wheels and tires-

for the street riding transportation I want-

the other pic is the first build- yet to have back wheel converted to 27 x1 /1/4- just haven't had the time or health, but just about ready to start up again.

so anyway, that's been my experience

good luck

Attachments

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Also- one more thing-

the large flange hubs generally don't fit the sprocket rag joints- I fashioned one of my own sprockets from a 34 MX crank sprocket that hasn't proven very strong.

if you have a sprocket with the six disk brakes holes cut closer to the center hole, you may be able to bolt that right to a large flange alloy hub, but it depends on the pattern of holes already in the hub.

It looks like your Peugeot has a large flange hub to deal with.

Anno blue doesn't look that good on the motor does it?

Last edited:

bluesjr

Mar 3, 2010
Ca
i wouldn't try to convert any one of them. we have freedom of religion in this country!
good one! uh, now that I think about it, by the last count I've got five evangelists in my family.

Also- one more thing-

the large flange hubs generally don't fit the sprocket rag joints-
I'm glad you brought this up. I called the kit reseller and asked about the hubs. Their kit specified 36 spokes, and both my candidates have 32. In fact, I have only one bike that has 36 spoke wheels, and it's a mixte, so no go. The Peugeot has a set of fixie wheels, with large flanges. All of my fixie wheels are this way I think (3 sets). So I guess that's one more reason to go with the Rockhopper.

btw, I'm playing more acoustics these days, but my screen name is taken from a nice little Fender tube amp.

bluesjr

Last edited:

jay sawdust

Aug 11, 2009
kauai,hawaii
I like both the mountain bike and road bike for builds.One of my first builds was a Cycle Pro road bike of 70s vintage...a quality light steel frame,but I wanted something for the rough roads around here so I added a front suspension fork from an old mountain bike and wide knobbies,the handlebars I scrounged for a more upright ride.....Anyways its a cool combo...So maybe you can have the best of both worlds....Just a thought......J

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Bluesjr:

Yeah, but I might recommend new tires. Some guys like knobbys like jay sawdust here,
but the first real problem I had when I first built was vibration- and that was with beach cruiser tread on 2.25 tires-

Knobbys might be good if your'e going to ride a lot of trails, but if your mostly on streets, spome straight tread 26 x 1.75 tires roll faster and are much lighter- easier to peddle too. I got two of them last summer for only $10 each at a local bike shop- because they're sort of pase I guess- while 1.50 slick kendas cost about $25 and have no tread- These will still do moderate off-road.

you already have the shock fork- and that helps- so do perpendicular bars to get a good grip- I dropped the cruiser moon bars and went with the BMX.

here it is with the billet intake- which ends 4 stroking, (about $15 at Pirates and creative Engineering) and the poo poo pipe that has me down to moped noise level

a picture from lastr summer just after I put both 1.75 street tires on- since I've put a 27 x 1 1/4 alloy on the front, and probably will on the back too- I have to lug this up to the second floor once and awhile!

then there's me and my '67 Peugeot PX10 in 1992.

Attachments

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I would use the mountain bike with one of Jims sprocket adapter. It is probably a stronger frame and will not break as easily as the road bike.